Westlake High's Nelson Spruce trying to make it with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Westlake High product Nelson Spruce trying to make it with Rams

By Jesse Dougherty

[www.latimes.com]

With hundreds of local high school coaches at the Rams’ organized team activities Friday, Jim Benkert thought he’d blend into the crowd.

There was a steady buzz as coaches rapped about their upcoming seasons. Some jotted notes on the team rosters that were distributed. Others shuffled up and down the field to steal glances at the more notable players: defensive tackle Aaron Donald, running back Todd Gurley, first-overall pick Jared Goff.

But Benkert kept his eyes trained on Nelson Spruce. He was probably the only visiting coach keeping close tabs on an undrafted free agent. He was also the only visiting coach watching his former player try to make the Rams.

“I really felt like a proud papa,” said Benkert, who coached Spruce at Westlake High School and now heads the varsity team at Oaks Christian. “I wasn't sure if he'd see me, but I was watching him.”

The last time Spruce was playing in front of all those high school coaches, he couldn’t attract the attention of local colleges such as USC or UCLA. He had some contact, but apparently wasn't big or fast enough, and his only Pacific-12 offer came from Colorado. He took it, and five years later he’s the conference’s all-time leading receiver and has an NFL dream in sight.

And the path to that dream is cutting straight through his backyard.

I feel like I've always been a bit under the radar. There's something in me that always wants to prove everybody wrong.
— Nelson Spruce
“I feel like I've always been a bit under the radar,” Spruce, who grew up 30 minutes from the Oxnard facility, said Friday. "There's something in me that always wants to prove everybody wrong."

That started at Westlake, where Spruce excelled in football and baseball but took long strides instead of short, quick steps. Benkert thinks it was Spruce's lack of blazing speed that kept bigger schools away. So he redshirted at Colorado before starting, and shining, for four years.

Spruce's college totals — 294 receptions, 3,347 receiving yards, 23 touchdowns, 10 or more yards per catch each season — show that a wide receiver can be effective without notable size or speed.

"If you’re not going to wow with your athleticism, you need to do everything else,” Benkert said. “Nelson made himself into a complete player because he had to.”

There's been a lot for Spruce to adjust to, and think about, as OTAs continued Monday before wrapping up for the summer on Thursday.

All of his routes need to be more precise. The offense is similar to what he ran at Colorado with a lot more wrinkles. Since the Rams drafted two receivers and signed four as undrafted free agents, it’s easy for Spruce to survey the field and start counting spots.

But he mostly focuses on short-term goals, such as not dropping passes; such as running hard and with precision during relaxed skeleton drills designed to teach offensive concepts; such as not bobbling punts when fielding returns with fourth-round pick Pharoh Cooper and fourth-year receiver Tavon Austin. And when he gets opportunities with the second- or third-team offense, Spruce looks to be an option on every play.

It worked just enough to get to Colorado, then just enough to latch on to an NFL team. Next, Spruce will see if it’s enough to stick around.

“Whenever I see him out there he gets into space well and I try to put it on him,” said Goff, who trained with Spruce leading up to the draft. “He's done a really good job so far.”

After making a catch in an early practice drill Friday, Spruce surprised Benkert by spotting him from the field.

They made eye contact and Spruce offered a subtle nod. Benkert subtly nodded back. Then Spruce dropped his head, jogged to the end of the line and prepared for the next rep.

“I feel like it’s a young group and not a lot of returning experience,” Spruce said. “So guys like me and the rest of the rookies, it’s just an opportunity to go out there and make the coaches notice us.”

fancents86

Starter
A lot of write up on this kid, can't wait to see what he has in preseason if he makes the cuts.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Westlake High and Colorado product Nelson Spruce will try to make the Rams’ 53-man roster. LA Times Lindsey Thiry has the interview.

Watch Nelson Interview

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams WR Nelson Spruce looking to form chemistry with QB Jared Goff. Includes comments from Jared Goff and Troy Hill.

Watch Goff Feature

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
The cream is really going to rise to the top, with this group of receivers. There will no doubt be a surprise or two that make the 53, and unfortunately injuries may play a role as well.

Looking back at the turnover at WR in the past 4-5 years, of guys that we thought would be mainstays: Avery...Alexander...Amendola...Lloyd...Gibson...Givens...now Bailey...possibly Quick? The Rams need some stability at this position. Along with Quarterback, we need an- Ellard, Anderson, Bruce, Holt- type of run. Reliability for several years, to develop that chemistry with our new quarterback.

Tavon seems to be giving us that. He quietly has shown a great work ethic. Britt, too, with an accurate arm throwing to him. Quick, if we all remember, was a hard worker, a great down-field blocker- which is not to be dismissed- and seems to be healthy now. (None of us wanted to be Charley Brown, holding the football for Lucy, when it comes to Quick. But I quietly root for him.) How about Bradley Marquez, who seems to be expendable now.

I think Pharoh can be one of those guys....Spruce seems to have the "it" factor. I saw a special on the "Top Ten undrafted Free Agents of all time" yesterday. #10 was Wayne Chrebet. (Of course #1 was Kurt!) Some of you guys remember Chrebet? As they were telling his story, it reminded me a lot of Spruce. Wouldn't be a bad find if he were close to Chrebet, huh?

Then there are the other very talented young rookies like 6th rounder Michael Thomas. I like his speed and fluidity. He reminds me a little bit of Brandon Lloyd. ( :rant:except, without all the unnecessary sliding!) ...then of course North...McRoberts... Duke Williams....etc.

The point is: Look at all those viable names, I count ten! They all obviously can't be the Bruce-Holt-Az-Prohl bunch from the GSOT days. And that was with a POTENT passing game! Most of these guys will never catch 20 passes with the Rams. Football has a way of weeding out guys.

I see four as the limit for any kind of action.

Q: Who are your 4, for 2016 and beyond?

Mine: Tavon, Pharoh, Williams and Spruce.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
A lot of write up on this kid, can't wait to see what he has in preseason if he makes the cuts.
Seems as if he's creating quite a following....I'm interested to see where this goes....I honestly can't remember this guy at Colorado....

Q: Who are your 4, for 2016 and beyond?

Mine: Tavon, Pharoh, Williams and Spruce.
Only 4...or 6...mine:
Quick, Britt, North, Williams...oh yeah, Cooper & Austin....

OOps...and Mike Thomas too...not cutting him. So 7...lets keep 7 this year.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Only 4...or 6...mine:

7 WR will not happen on any 53 man roster unless Mason and TJ are both suspended and you go with 3 RBs and 7 DBs. Not going to happen. North, Williams , Spruce & Marquez are hopeful for the Practice squad/special teams ace at best.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Seems as if he's creating quite a following....I'm interested to see where this goes....I honestly can't remember this guy at Colorado....

Only 4...or 6...mine:

You see. It's tough to "cut" these guys. I should have expanded on why "4" rather than 6 guys.

No doubt the team will keep at least 5, probably 6 receivers this year. But how often does the #5 or lower target catch more than a handful of balls? Thus I said top 4. No more than four of these guys in camp are likely to impact the Los Angeles Rams in any significant way.

We can stash up to a couple guys on the practice squad, sure. But look at history, and reality speaks. There is only so much room for "star" receivers, complementary receivers, and possession receivers.

Who was our #5 receiver during the GSOT years? I don't know, off hand. And that was the most lethal passing offense in NFL history. Goff may turn out to be very good, but odds are he won't have the feed bag Kurt Warner used to carry.

So which 4 guys contribute? And which 6 guys evaporate into history?

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm guessing that our seven wide receivers are Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt, Pharoh Cooper, Mike Thomas, Nelson Spruce, Duke Williams, and Bradley Marquez. The latter three are special teams players for their first year with occasional receptions or if - and I hope it doesn't happen - someone in the wide receiver corps goes down with an injury.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Man, I am really looking forward to seeing Spruce in the preseason...and Cooper....and Higbee...and Thomas...and Hemmingway...and Williams...and North....and McRoberts. It's too bad we traded away all our draft picks for Goff!!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
You see. It's tough to "cut" these guys. I should have expanded on why "4" rather than 6 guys.

No doubt the team will keep at least 5, probably 6 receivers this year. But how often does the #5 or lower target catch more than a handful of balls? Thus I said top 4. No more than four of these guys in camp are likely to impact the Los Angeles Rams in any significant way.

We can stash up to a couple guys on the practice squad, sure. But look at history, and reality speaks. There is only so much room for "star" receivers, complementary receivers, and possession receivers.

Who was our #5 receiver during the GSOT years? I don't know, off hand. And that was the most lethal passing offense in NFL history. Goff may turn out to be very good, but odds are he won't have the feed bag Kurt Warner used to carry.

So which 4 guys contribute? And which 6 guys evaporate into history?
Well as far as keeping 6 or 7, the TE's may play into that. If the TE position looks strong, it may give the team a reason to go with 1 less WR.