Westbrooks stands in Sam's way to roster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I was thinking about that earlier today - there is a competition for about 10 roster spots right now.

One DL, One LB, 3 DBs, 2 OLs, 1 RB, 1 TE, and maybe 1 WR. The rest of the roster seems set in ink.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Who, Sam or Westbrooks? Not a chance at all.

Why would the need to?
One of the knocks on Sam was his size and it has been mentioned by more than one person the possibility that he could switch positions. Also, we don't have near the depth at LB as line so just thinking its a way to keep the best rushers on the roster. Also, it's pretty doubtful i think that we could sneak them onto the PS. Dallas or someone will swoop in for sure.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
One of the knocks on Sam was his size and it has been mentioned by more than one person the possibility that he could switch positions. Also, we don't have near the depth at LB as line so just thinking its a way to keep the best rushers on the roster. Also, it's pretty doubtful i think that we could sneak them onto the PS. Dallas or someone will swoop in for sure.

Michael Sam put any thoughts of a position change to rest with his "performance" during his workouts at the Senior Bowl. A LB he is NOT....

I think you may be pleasantly surprised at the group of LBs they have assembled, it is a pretty athletic group. Much more athletic than needing to move someone out of position.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Michael Sam put any thoughts of a position change to rest with his "performance" during his workouts at the Senior Bowl. A LB he is NOT....

I think you may be pleasantly surprised at the group of LBs they have assembled, it is a pretty athletic group. Much more athletic than needing to move someone out of position.
I appreciate your thoughts coacho. I certainly hope you are right. I suppose its a happy problem to have...our d-line is too deep.

RamBill

Legend
On today’s Upon Further Review, the Post-Dispatch’s Bryan Burwell interviews undrafted rookie defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks at St. Louis Rams training camp. (5:08)

Watch Westbrooks Interview

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hmm, he better get on that wedge unit on KO returns...He better get on some other special teams too. Hayes or Sims was on kickoff coverage...I gotta see the guy before I really respond. $20,000 means something.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
the thing that is fascinating to me, in many of the active threads on here right now, the discussion is centering on the 50th, 51st, 52nd and 53rd guys on the roster.

Oh how things have changed. When we are debating who the 9th Defensive Lineman is gonna be,, or who the 6th CB is, to the 9th & 10th Offensive Lineman could end up being.. What does that say about this roster in just 3 short years?

For all intents and purposes, these are the only spots still to be determined, barring some unforeseen change in the makeup of the roster. And this is all before a single Preseason snap has been taken.

I like it too. I stated right after the draft that the UDFAs have a much tougher hill to climb and it will remain that way for years to come.........FINALLY! That being said I want a mad mad race for that 9th DLine spot between Conrath, Westbrook, and Sam. I want top to bottom domination!

Also consider that Carrington is a one year contract player........that may factor into the decision and favor Conrath.

FRO

Legend
I was thinking about that earlier today - there is a competition for about 10 roster spots right now.

One DL, One LB, 3 DBs, 2 OLs, 1 RB, 1 TE, and maybe 1 WR. The rest of the roster seems set in ink.
It beats hoping cast offs from other teams somehow play better than they have before because they are going to either start or be key contributors....see the 2011 free agent class.

FRO

Legend

We have a very undersized LB corps. I think this is what the coaches want. Smaller, more athletic guys.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Hmm, he better get on that wedge unit on KO returns...He better get on some other special teams too. Hayes or Sims was on kickoff coverage...I gotta see the guy before I really respond. $20,000 means something.

I assume you are referring to Westbrooks with your comments. Because Sam is on the Kickoff coverage unit as one of the "wedge" blockers. Albeit on the 2nd unit for now. Conrath and Barnes are on the 2st unit.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
I'm always amazed at guys coming out of college with three, four, five year old kids. Seriously, how is it so common, especially among athletes (it seems)?

Not sure but the story says he has a 3 yr old daughter not 3 children. Not sure if with family it means his parents and siblings. Did you see that he has more children else where or was this just misread? Curious. You should be happy he isn't like Antonio Cromartie who can't name all 10 of his kids! haha