Westbrooks or Sam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
I'd keep Westbrooks over Sam as of this minute but id like to keep both. Conrath hasn't shown anything and Carrington has showed very little.

Athos

Legend
Westbrooks can't play on special teams? Why?

Not saying he can't, just all the reports I seem to remember have said he's been a non-factor on ST or hasn't played there at all. Tough to justify having a guy who isn't a big part of ST. Don't recall reports to the contrary.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He missed the early part of camp, that may be why he's not doing special teams work, since it was more important that he work on DL duties.

That doesn't mean he can't, of course - just that he'll need to be worked in after the season begins. Since ST duties are sometimes fluid as the season goes along depending on health, etc - not impossible for him to play a role, though obviously he's way behind Sam on that at the moment.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Both could start for another team needing a 4-3 rush end. I know both can play. westbrooks seems more versatile

rams2050

Starter
This is what the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Rams' beat reporter had to say about the Westbrooks vs. Sam competition: "Based on two games, I'd say if Westbrooks makes it and Sam doesn't, Sam has played well enough to get pick up by somebody's practice squad." http://live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_51?Page=2

And then this exchange, later in the chat:

I think Sam has played pretty good in the first two games, but Westbrooks has played better.
by jthomas 8/19/2014 7:24:16 PM 2:24 PM
  • default.png

Sam or Westbrooks? It looks like Westbrooks to me.
    by royearl 8/19/2014 7:24:18 PM 2:24 PM
  • 0e475d5f-323f-402d-8cf9-425ee2567049.jpg

If I had to pick today, I'd be with you. This is easily the most intriguing battle in camp.
    by jthomas 8/19/2014 7:24:56 PM 2:24 PM

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He just seems to have a greater upside to me. My very unscientific, non-coach opinion is that he moves better. To me, out of all the low round or UDFA guys in camp he's the one who maybe, could be a every down starter one day. Maybe that's unlikely, but I could see him filling the Sims or Hayes role someday. However, with the loss of Pead, this whole S vs W thread may not mean much anymore. Why not keep both? I can't really think of any other bubble guys on the team I'm excited about.
Maybe the offensive line needs an extra body? Maybe the defensive backs would like to keep the extra body? Perhaps the wide receivers could use the extra body? Even the QB's could use it. The main difference, the defensive line is the strength, why keep an extra defensive lineman?
Like many, Westbrooks time on the field looks more impressive. I like the way he engages blockers then get off the blocks. I still see most of Sam's plays as he runs virtually unblocked and makes a play. Westbrooks appears to use quickness & power, whereas Sam uses quickness only. My other reasoning would be the proverbial "ceiling", it seems that Westbrooks can grow into his frame & get larger. Maybe play just like Hayes & Sims.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Maybe the offensive line needs an extra body? Maybe the defensive backs would like to keep the extra body? Perhaps the wide receivers could use the extra body? Even the QB's could use it. The main difference, the defensive line is the strength, why keep an extra defensive lineman?
Like many, Westbrooks time on the field looks more impressive. I like the way he engages blockers then get off the blocks. I still see most of Sam's plays as he runs virtually unblocked and makes a play. Westbrooks appears to use quickness & power, whereas Sam uses quickness only. My other reasoning would be the proverbial "ceiling", it seems that Westbrooks can grow into his frame & get larger. Maybe play just like Hayes & Sims.

I agree with you on Westbrooks. My reason to keep both really stems from the fact that those extra bodies seems to be just that. Extra bodies. Not much after Sam to be excited about.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I agree with you on Westbrooks. My reason to keep both really stems from the fact that those extra bodies seems to be just that. Extra bodies. Not much after Sam to be excited about.
Well the DB battle, Reid, Roberson, Woodyard seems pretty interesting. Definitely might need to keep an extra offensive lineman just to see what we got. And just in case, I'd like to hold on to Gilbert, Why expose him to getting claimed? But I doubt someone does.....Everybody else is practice squad bait.