Westbrooks or Sam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Which one do you keep? Both? Neither?

Personally I don't think either will get cut. They either will both make the team, or one of them will get traded. DE is a premium position and many teams don't have depth at that position.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Which one do you keep? Both? Neither?

Personally I don't think either will get cut. They either will both make the team, or one of them will get traded. DE is a premium position and many teams don't have depth at that position.

Keeping both sound good to me!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If they only keep one, mu vote would be for Westbrooks. If they can keep both, thatd be even better. But not sure they will have the room to do it unless someone else on the D-line is cut/traded. No way we dont keep at least one of then.

bskrilla

Starter
I'm rooting for Sam for personal reasons, but currently Westbrooks is outplaying him. I'm perfectly happy having the problem of not knowing which of our rookie DE's we keep because they're both so damn good. Helluva problem to have.

Ask me in two games time, atm Westbrooks, but they each have two games to move up/down. Great problem to have, wish we had this issue with our OL.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah, I think Pead going down made room for Sam to make his way onto the special teams squad as well.

bluecoconuts

Legend
These guys don't have trade value, so that doesn't bother me. If I had to pick now, I would say Westbrooks has played better overall the two games. However there's still two games to go and you never know how it will shake out.

I wouldn't mind keeping both because I can see value in both. I think the only way that happens is if Westbrooks was a DT though, so I don't know if that happens. My gut still says Sam makes it, but Westbrooks deserves it more at this point. Honestly I'm not too worried about either of them, because neither will get much playing time.

jjab360

Legend
Right now, it has to be Westbrooks. Sam is playing pretty well too, though, so I doubt he would make it to our PS. Sam just seems to be more stiff, though he does have good initial explosiveness, but Westbrooks just has more length and seems to be more fluid in his motions while still displaying more power and disruptiveness.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Based upon what I've seen so far Westbrooks makes the 53, and Sam will be put on practice squad.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Westbrook is a low-base, powerful guy, with decent speed. And he's taken to Waufle's teaching, he "gets it". Sam is a higher cut, more of a V-shape guy who is tight and does not have upper-body expolosion but does have great hustle and not a bad burst, but had to get to 257 to get it. In terms of who is better ball player, I had them as slight edge Westbrooks since OTAs, now I give big edge to Westbrooks. He;s smoother, stronger, quicker.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
As I've said all along, unless Westbrooks starts playing special teams I don't think there's any way he makes the squad over Sam.
He isn't playing head and shoulders above Sam ( hell I don't even agree he is out playing Sam either way), so why go with a 9th guy who will see spot duty at best vs a guy who will play and contribute on special teams?

Slappy967

Starter
As of now Westbrooks has an advantage over Sam, curious to see how they fare the last two games. Westbrooks I thought played worse in week 1 but killed it in week 2. He just seems naturally gifted and ends up around the ball a ton. Sam is a sub par practice guy but damn the hustle and heart is very evident come game time.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't see how a rookie pass rusher who have shown potential has trade value, but Gordy and Salas did.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
As of now Westbrooks has an advantage over Sam, curious to see how they fare the last two games. Westbrooks I thought played worse in week 1 but killed it in week 2. He just seems naturally gifted and ends up around the ball a ton. Sam is a sub par practice guy but damn the hustle and heart is very evident come game time.
Sub par practice player? care to explain that one to me?

The fact that for the first 3 weeks of training camp, prior to Westbrooks even being on the practice field, Sam took more reps than any other D-lineman on the roster. He took every rep on both the 2nd (Wm Hayes had not practiced) and 3rd units (Sammy Brown and Westbrooks weren't there yet). If Sam appears to be leveling off, anyone think the proverbial "camp legs" might be catching up with him? While Westbrooks has the advantage over everyone else on the field at this point with FRESH legs?

Just a thought!!!!!

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If someone forced me to bet money on it, I'd say Westbrooks. His games have been better, esp the talk of him pushing the pocket from both DT and DE spots. If Sam's forte is rushing the passer, and Westbrooks actually has better pass rushing stats, how does that leave a door for Sam? Sam's not going to push anything at 257, nor do I think he'd hold up in the regular season if forced to play when the starters actually care. That's just based on the limited amount I've seen. I'd have to leave it up to CoachO to say exactly how much we should read into his ST ability. I'd say Sam needs big showings in the 3rd and 4th games to beat Westbrooks apparent versatility.

Of course Sam has two games to go. More than enough time. Heck, that's enough time for Conrath to come on and force one of those guys out.