Westbrooks looks really good

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What makes you say so? That you think teams would fear the notariety/baggage/circus? I just have a hard time believing either one of them would survive a move to the PT. Perhaps I'm overestimating "my guys" but there are a number of NFL teams with crap defensive lines that I think would nab our scraps whomever that may be.

Yes. The circus combined with the fact that so many teams passed on him on draft day, and potential limited fit for some schemes.

And as much as we might like to think differently, the Rams aren't the only team that's going to release some DLine talent.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Why not keep both Westbrooks and Sam over a guy like Carrington? Carrington has yet to step up the way that Westbrooks and Sam have. He's older, on a one-year contract, and I don't think there's much - if any - guaranteed money with Carrington.

Why not keep Westbrooks as the fourth DT and Sam as the fifth DE?

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Why not keep both Westbrooks and Sam over a guy like Carrington? Carrington has yet to step up the way that Westbrooks and Sam have. He's older, on a one-year contract, and I don't think there's much - if any - guaranteed money with Carrington.

I have begun to wonder the same thing - Westbrooks is a straight up football player! He will be valuable on ST and in the rotation. Sam is starting to show better awareness, albeit against 3rd string.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve

I'd rather have carrington's bulk and experience inside incase Brock or Langford get hurt. Gimme westbrooks outside over Sam every day of the week at this point. He can slide inside if totally necessary and more so when he bulks up in a year or two. I love his upside

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones

I was high on Carrington, but seeing how Westbrook has torn it up, He deserves a roster spot for sure.

Memphis Ram

Legend

2/3's of Carrington's $1.5 million is guaranteed.

I'd think they'd be better off if the 4th DT were an actual DT. Especially since the 3rd DT might be viewed as somewhat undersized. Then again, I'm not high on Carrington or Conrath.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I know its just two games but Ethan Westbrooks has been in with the others teams #1's and has completed his work assignments & more...playing both outside & inside!

Carrington has yet to make a stop or do anything when on the field plus Conrath is not far behind Carrington too so both of the reserve DT's have had back to back very UN-impressive games! The Fact that Westbrooks is a UDFA on the small size to have done so well.....say much.

If those two young vets DT's continue to do nothing ...to me its a no brainer...Westbrooks take one of thems master roster spot!

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I know its just two games but Ethan Westbrooks has been in with the others teams #1's and has completed his work assignments & more...playing both outside & inside!

Carrington has yet to make a stop or do anything when on the field plus Conrath is not far behind Carrington too so both of the reserve DT's have had back to back very UN-impressive games! The Fact that Westbrooks is a UDFA on the small size to have done so well.....say much.

If those two young vets DT's continue to do nothing ...to me its a no brainer...Westbrooks take one of thems master roster spot!
I love westbrooks as much as anyone but he flashes as an upfield penetrator at both positions. I'd be much more comfortable with carrington filling in for Brock or Langford on run downs. 3rd down is an entirely different story as a rookie until he bulks up

Memphis Ram

Legend
Just thought of something. If the Rams only went with 3 DTs on the roster, they'd better have a STRONG option on the practice squad if someone gets hurt because I don't think Carrington or Conrath are eligible. Of course, one or both might not get picked up if released.

Maybe they can pick up Cudjo on the final cuts or something.:whistle:

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just thought of something. If the Rams only went with 3 DTs on the roster, they'd better have a STRONG option on the practice squad if someone gets hurt because I don't think Carrington or Conrath are eligible. Of course, one or both might not get picked up if released.

Maybe they can pick up Cudjo on the final cuts or something.:whistle:

Very good point Memphis just thinking a little off here....could the two rookie DL'ers have such an up side & the two very good experienced reserved DE's Hayes & Sims who have worked as much inside as outside provide enough comfort & security to Fisher to put both DE Sam & DT/DE Westbrooks on the master roster @ the loss of a 4th DT? Carrington is a tweener DE/DT combo whereas Conrath is pure DT.....Westbrooks is closer in some ways to a Carrington.

After watching this early middle defense with mostly Carrington & Conrath holding down the fort I see nothing that makes me think they have a long future in the NFL @ DT. Looks to me Carrington would be a better 34 DE.I would not want Cudjo back myself.

I would suspect the total health & conditioning of DL'er William Hayes would come into play much in this subject he is the more experienced, stout, stronger & larger DL'er than the rest so much of the burden would fall onto his shoulders early until Westbrooks gains experience inside. To me I think if William Hayes is sound he will see a heavy ton of work inside as the main DL'er behind behind Langford & Brockers anyway even if Carrington & Conrath was on the roster which makes my point some. I would be sick to loose a player like the young Ethan Westbrooks in order to keep a dud like Carrington? When you have DL'er like Sims & Hayes as reserves.

I know we are the midway point here in pre seson & we as of yet have not see the 2014 version of Hayes yet but if he is at least as good as he was in 2012 & 2013.....he is my 3rd DT! Would a 9 DL'er unit like below work ?
DT's- Brockers, Langford & Donald
DT/DE's-Hayes, Sims & Westbrook.
DE's- Quinn, long & Sam

Last edited:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Part of that might be because Carrington is hardly getting any snaps. He got 12 snaps compared to Westbrooks' 39. Obviously most players are going to look better if they get 3x the opportunities to make plays.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/8/17/6026741/st-louis-rams-green-bay-packers-snap-counts-review

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Part of that might be because Carrington is hardly getting any snaps. He got 12 snaps compared to Westbrooks' 39. Obviously most players are going to look better if they get 3x the opportunities to make plays.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/8/17/6026741/st-louis-rams-green-bay-packers-snap-counts-review

True but was the amount of snaps of Carrington very high in the Saints game previously where he failed to do anything positive for a high amount of snaps?

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Is it just me? Bad things happened to Green Bay every time the play went to Westbrook's side. He sniffs out the run, and holds edge. If Chris Long goes down this season, Westbrook looks to be plug and play, maybe better?

Slappy967

Starter
I wouldn't go so far as to say Westbrooks is a plug n play for Long nor that he is more talented. He is looking good but part of Quinns success is due to how O lineman always have to account for Long and I don't think Westbrooks is there yet.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I agree Slappy.....Quinn and Long are the best duo in the league.
I'm confident when Brockers is back clogging the middle, and JL is quarterbacking the D......everyone else will also shine brighter.

As far as watching where production dropped with a starter out, LDE seemed to be one of the few "manned" positions.

Hopefully our "key" starters stay healthy this year.....all our depth is good for rotation, but we are starting to see which starters we cannot afford to lose outright. In my opinion, Brockers and JL are 1 and 2. Chris Long may be way further down the list, as far as "team being screwed". Chris Long is one of my favorite players too.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
True but was the amount of snaps of Carrington very high in the Saints game previously where he failed to do anything positive for a high amount of snaps?

Don't know snap counts for that game, but he was playing with backups vs. starters, so I don't know how fair it is to judge him, especially when they had him playing more of the NT role while Donald penetrated.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don't know snap counts for that game, but he was playing with backups vs. starters, so I don't know how fair it is to judge him, especially when they had him playing more of the NT role while Donald penetrated.
Yes, it appears that Fisher is looking very hard for a back up to Brockers post much more than a back up for Langford position that Donald will fill & the position that Hayes & Sims usually filled in the past.....Does not seem to be a good fit for Carrington or Conrath. Troubling at this point it looks like.