Wes Welker not sure if he still wants to play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-sure-his-heart-and-mind-want-more-football/

Wes Welker not sure his “heart and mind” want more football
Posted by Josh Alper on May 26, 2016

498293114-e1464259756461.jpg
Getty Images

Wide receiver Wes Welker was out of football all of last offseason, but always insisted he wanted to continue playing despite the series of concussions he’d suffered over the course of his career.

Welker eventually signed with the Rams in November, although you’d be forgiven for having no memory of his eight games and 13 catches for a team playing out the string on a season and a city. Welker is a free agent once again and said during an appearance on NFL Network that his “heart and mind” are still going back and forth on whether he wants to pursue a 13th season.

“That’s kind of the million dollar question right now in trying to figure that out,” Welker said. “I think I’m weighing my options and really trying to figure out where to go with life next. But there are some days I wake up and I’m like ‘OK, I’m done.’ And other days I wake up and I’m like, ‘Oh, maybe one more year.’ But I’m trying not to rush into any decision but at the same time, know that and prepare myself for not playing.”

Given the lukewarm interest in Welker’s services last year, it’s hard to imagine teams are beating down his doors with offers to play and that could offer the final push that Welker needs to flip the switch from active NFL player to the next stage of life.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63oljueI1LU

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I was always hoping we would use Welker more, last year, but it didn't work out. Now that we have a nice crop of WR's to work with we don't need him, Britt will be our Older Motivational WR of the group!

DenverRam

Starter
would be good for a team with young wrs learning the game.

i am still worried about his concussions thou.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I kind of think he's done, even without the concussion issue...He is just not the same...With regard to vet influence, I think that is overvalued at times...Also, how important is it with regard to having to lose a roster slot(s) for those kind of guys if they might not produce much on the field ???

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams are now all set at WR, take care Wes and simply all the very best!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The minute you doubt your desire to do something in your mind, you should just walk away.
Because your heart is soon to follow.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
For me... I could never get past that cheatriot stank that hovered over him.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Does he want to coach?:mrburnsevil:

Ram65

Legend
When Wes was the topic of a thread a while back I stated he should retire. Considering his concussion issues and age it just makes sense. I don't no if he wants to coach. I would consider having him assist the youngster. His seems like a wealth of knowledge. He also young enough that the recently out of college guys know who he is.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-visits-dolphins-otas-but-they-wont-sign-him/

Wes Welker visits Dolphins’ OTAs, but they won’t sign him
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 6, 2016

72709417-e1465252786193.jpg
Getty Images

Longtime NFL receiver Wes Welker showed up at the Dolphins’ Organized Team Activities today, and he may have an informal role advising the team’s wide receivers.

Dolphins coach Adam Gase noted that Welker has a home in Miami and previously played in Gase’s offense with the Broncos, and so it makes sense for him to come around and help out.

“He shows up,” Gase said. “I mean he lives like five minutes away. I think we’re a good outlet for him and he’s been a guy that with my history with him in Denver, I love being around him. He’s such a football guy. For him to come out there and if our guys get one thing from him, I think that’s a great, great thing for our guys to have a guy that’s probably one of the best slot receivers of all-time being in the building. The way that he worked, the way he studied, everything he did as far as football . . . just talking to him, it helps our players out.”

One thing Gase was clear on, however, is that the Dolphins are not considering signing Welker. Last season Welker played for the Rams but was a backup who had little impact on the offense, and recently Welker said he’s not sure he wants to keep playing. Given his history of concussions and declining production, it may be wise for Welker to quit playing and start coaching. Starting in a casual way in Miami, where he played three seasons and still feels at home.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some team will give him a shot. He was open more than I had thought initially last season but the Rams didn't have the QB with the accuracy to get it to him in that small window he requires.

The question with him isn't if he can still get open--he can--but whether it's worth it to make room for him on the roster when he might suffer a career ending concussion at any moment. With the Rams for example who would you cut from this year's group to allow him to be part of a final 6? He's looking at teams with lesser rosters at WR, like the Rams were last season.