Wes Welker more comfortable in second week with Rams/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wes Welker more comfortable in second week with Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ker-more-comfortable-in-second-week-with-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- When the St. Louis Rams signed wide receiver Wes Welker last week, it was a marriage of convenience. The Rams wanted a slot receiver to replace the suspended Stedman Bailey and Welker wanted a job.

When the New England Patriots lost wideout Julian Edelman to a foot injury, many wondered if Welker might have ended back in New England had his timing been a little different.

Welker said earlier this week that he never gave it much thought.

“No, not really," Welker said. "I signed here. And I’m happy to be here and looking forward to helping (the Rams) win.”

Through no fault of his own, Welker was unsuccessful in helping the Rams win his first game last week against the Chicago Bears. Welker played 11 snaps in the 37-13 loss, most of which came on third-down packages. Quarterback Nick Foles targeted Welker six times on those snaps, connecting with him for three completions and 32 yards.

“He was exact in his plays," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He ran the routes appropriately. He got open. We hit him a few times and missed him a few times. He looked like he’d been doing it for a long time, which is good to see.”

That Welker returned and didn't seem too rusty likely portends a bigger role for him moving forward. The Rams were careful with what they threw at him in his first week, limiting his workload to third downs, but that could change this week against the Baltimore Ravens.

It's unlikely Welker will suddenly play 40 snaps, but he could get a bump in activity.

"I think so," Welker said. "Every day you are learning more and more. I’m just trying to study and take in a lot of mental reps, watching the guys and staying next to (receivers coach Ray) Sherm(an) and (assistant Jeff) Garcia and getting the play calls and figuring out what’s what and everything like that. It’s coming along."

One other adjustment Welker has to make this week is the change at quarterback, where Case Keenum is set to replace Foles. Welker, who played in a spread system at Texas Tech, cited Keenum's experience playing in a similar scheme at Houston as something that could help at least in terms of knowing how each other might work and read defenses.

"I know we were kind of in the same offense in college and the same offense as far as him being in Houston with Bill O’Brien and stuff like that," Welker said. "He has helped me as far as some of the plays here and different routes and the ways they did things and that offense kind of correlating to this offense as well."

fancents86

Starter
My question is, why is Welker getting so many plays but Bailey rarely saw the field? I understand Welker is a better slot receiver, but why didn't they incorporate more of this type of offense with Bailey if that's what "he's for".

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My question is, why is Welker getting so many plays but Bailey rarely saw the field? I understand Welker is a better slot receiver, but why didn't they incorporate more of this type of offense with Bailey if that's what "he's for".

Bailey was seeing a lot of these snaps before his suspension. But he's not Welker. Welker is a four time All Pro and one of the best route runners of his generation. Even with his athleticism declining, his mental game and technical prowess still make him tough to cover on 3rd downs.

…..

Legend

I thought Welker only got 10 snaps?

7 looks on 10 snaps.

Par for the Rams. Element of surprise completely shattered lol

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Bailey was seeing a lot of these snaps before his suspension. But he's not Welker. Welker is a four time All Pro and one of the best route runners of his generation. Even with his athleticism declining, his mental game and technical prowess still make him tough to cover on 3rd downs.
Which is just the type of veteran leadership this team has been lacking at the position.
I'm a believer of the veteran player/coach. It's easier to pick something up when you can see how it's suppose to be done in real time

fancents86

Starter
Hmm, guess I just didn't notice Bailey on the field. Makes sense considering I'm usually covering my eyes in regard to how horrendous our offense is.

jap

Legend
Time for Wes to show these young 'uns how to play the game like a true veteran. If he can make himself available for a lot of quick passes, that alone might significantly ease the defensive focus off TGII a bit to allow our super rook to make some thunder.