Wentz outplays Bradford and Daniel in Eagles' second open OTA's.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The Eagles beat reporter said on NFLN today that Bradford was miles ahead of Wentz at this point, as was Daniels, but they all looked good in practice.

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's been slow on the news front lately so I just threw a thread out there. I mentioned the story was from ESPN so it qualified as BS from the start. I was just thinking of the ammunition that was thrown at the Philly fans waiting to boo Sam. He could have a brutal year there. I should have went with the video of the Rams cheerleaders picking out their BeachCandy swimsuits. At least I think Les would have liked it! :fuelfire: :cheers:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
It's been slow on the news front lately so I just threw a thread out there. I mentioned the story was from ESPN so it qualified as BS from the start. I was just thinking of the ammunition that was thrown at the Philly fans waiting to boo Sam. He could have a brutal year there. I should have went with the video of the Rams cheerleaders picking out their BeachCandy swimsuits. At least I think Les would have liked it! :fuelfire: :cheers:

Les SURELY would have liked it ...It's his heart that would be suspect...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
ON WENTZ

Wow moment:
When the pocket broke down during an 11-on-11 period, Wentz rolled to his right, stepped forward and then spun. As he did, he threw a sidearm pass to tight end Trey Burton, turning a busted play into positive yardage. Worth noting: Wentz completed 8 of 9 passes during a 7-on-7 period. The only incompletion was a drop by Marcus Johnson.

Whoa moment: A Wentz pass intended for Josh Huff sailed over the wide receiver’s head. Huff seemed to slow down on the play, so it may have been a miscommunication or a case of Wentz throwing to the wrong spot. No big deal, but it was probably Wentz’s worst throw of the day.

Huh?

You knucklehead :)

11 on 11 versus 7 on 7.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

My thoughts exactly.

These guys write and publish their own opinion; I don't take them as news, nor do I take their football acumen seriously.

I've said it for a while, but there are so many guys on boards like these who do a much better job of being sports journalists than these high dollar "reporters."

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz has that look in his eyes that the winners usually have. I know that sounds funny, but he has it in spades. I think he has a legit chance to be great. I hope Goff does great, but I really don't see it in his eyes. Anyway, we really need Goff to be the guy to lead this team. I will just have to trust the Rams capable staff. Go Rams!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Already fapped to it twice but feel free to post it I have some left in the tank.

HellRam

Starter
Wentz has that look in his eyes that the winners usually have. I know that sounds funny, but he has it in spades. I think he has a legit chance to be great. I hope Goff does great, but I really don't see it in his eyes. Anyway, we really need Goff to be the guy to lead this team. I will just have to trust the Rams capable staff. Go Rams!

I'll say this.. Wentz definitely has more charisma then Goff, this makes him appear more confident. However I see just as much confidence in Goff, it's just more in a silent but deadly kind of way. As for that "it" factor look, the tape is the best way to judge imo. Football is a physical game, people's "it" factors change when the bullets fly.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-of-bradford-in-learning-eagles-new-offense/

Report: Wentz is ahead of Bradford in learning Eagles’ new offense
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 30, 2016

carson-wentzap-e1464114124873.jpg
AP

Eagles coach Doug Pederson has said repeatedly that Sam Bradford is his starting quarterback. But coaches change their minds about such things, and rookie Carson Wentz is giving Pederson plenty to think about.

According to Matt Lombardo of NJ.com, at the start of Eagles’ Organized Team Activities, Wentz appeared to be ahead of Bradford in learning Pederson’s offense. That’s surprising given that Wentz is a rookie and Bradford is a seven-year veteran, but neither Bradford nor Wentz has played for Pederson before.

The Eagles are in an unusual position: You don’t pay a quarterback $18 million to sit on the bench, but you don’t draft a quarterback second overall to sit on the bench, either. Bradford is officially the No. 1 quarterback right now, but if Wentz still looks like he has a better grasp of Pederson’s offense in three months, can Pederson justify keeping Wentz on the sideline?

The third quarterback on the roster, Chase Daniel, obviously knows the offense the best of the group, as Daniel previously played in Pederson’s offense with the Chiefs. That could give Daniel a boost in the quarterback competition.

The bottom line is that, for all the Eagles’ insistence that Bradford is their starter, it’s a three-way quarterback battle. And there’s no guarantee that Bradford will win it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/31/...terback-sam-bradford-carson-wentz-nfl-mailbag

mmqb-pederson-wentz.jpg

Coach Doug Pederson and quarterback Carson Wentz will give the Eagles a new look this season and beyond.
Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

Jeffrey Lurie delivered one of the most memorable lines of last season when he said he wanted the next Eagles head coach to have “emotional intelligence.” The owner’s quote came at his December press conference, after the team had decided to fire Chip Kelly at the end of his third season.

Philadelphia’s search for a new head coach led them to Doug Pederson, a former backup quarterback and assistant coach for the organization under Andy Reid.

It’s now about four months into Pederson’s tenure, so I asked Lurie last week how he felt his new coach was faring in terms of “emotional intelligence” and “opening his heart” to players, another criterion he mentioned in December.

“Doug is doing a great job,” Lurie said at the league meetings in Charlotte. “He is communicating great, respects everybody he is in communication with. The players, I think, really gravitate toward him, in a human way. In a real, human way, not just an employee-employer type of way. And that’s important. Players play for passion, they play with passion and they want passion and great interaction.”

Lurie also praised Pederson for being smart, knowing the offense like the back of his hand, and assembling a good staff, including bringing in defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz and retaining special teams coordinator Dave Fipp. A strong coaching staff, Lurie says, was “one of the prerequisites” for the first-time head coach. “And Frank Reich and John DeFilippo are terrific quarterback coaches,” Lurie added, “which is why, with our investment in quarterbacks, we surrounded them with real good people.”

(Reich is the offensive coordinator and DeFilippo is the quarterbacks coach, but Lurie’s point was that both men know how to coach quarterbacks).

Part of the reason I asked Lurie for an early review of Pederson’s “emotional intelligence” as a new head coach was because he’s already had a big test of that, navigating a sticky situation when Sam Bradford skipped two weeks of voluntary offseason workouts after the Eagles traded up to draft Carson Wentz. But all three quarterbacks—Bradford, Wentz and Chase Daniel, signed to be a veteran backup—are now back in the NovaCare Complex, learning the new offense during organized team activities.

“I think we’re navigating it well,” Lurie said.

In MMQB on Monday, I used a quote from Lurie explaining why the Eagles view their quarterback situation differently than others might. I included it as an item in the 10 Things I Think I Think, and didn’t get to fully expand upon the point Lurie was making, so I wanted to take the opportunity here.

The Eagles signed Bradford to a two-year, $36 million contract this offseason. When Lurie said last week, “We see Sam as absolutely the right guy to quarterback the team,” I interpreted that to mean in the here and now. Otherwise, they would have signed him for longer than two years.

Lurie then went on to say the Eagles are “so rarely able to draft in the Top 5 in the draft. It’s only been twice in about 15, 20 years.” Before the Eagles made the moves to jump up from No. 13, to No. 8, to No. 2, in order to nab one of the top two quarterbacks in this year’s draft, they had only picked in the top 5 twice in the past 17 drafts: QB Donovan McNabb at No. 2 in 1999, and tackle Lane Johnson at No. 4 in 2013. “We had to make the move to secure having a potential franchise quarterback for many, many years,” Lurie added.

Really, what the Eagles did comes down to an organization not wanting to be caught without a quarterback. After signing Bradford; and then signing Daniel to a three-year, $21 million contract; and then sending five draft picks to Cleveland, including a future first- and second-rounder, to vault to No. 2 and select Wentz, people questioned whether or not the Eagles actually had an offseason plan.

Well, their plan simply was to not get caught without a quarterback. They spent a heck of a lot of resources to do it, but basically, their thinking was, it won’t matter if we spend these resources on other parts of the roster if we don’t have a quarterback.

As Lurie put it, “That’s how I look at it: You either have a really good quarterback and you compete for the Super Bowl, or you don’t and you are probably not competing for the Super Bowl. That’s simple.”

Now, the rest is up to the coaches. Can they get Bradford to play at a level that matches his contract, while developing Wentz, while maintaining harmony in a quarterbacks room that already sustained some cracks during Bradford’s mini-holdout? The truth is, even if you navigate a tricky situation as well as possible, things might not work out as well as you’d like (see: Broncos). But emotional intelligence would sure come in handy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As Lurie put it, “That’s how I look at it: You either have a really good quarterback and you compete for the Super Bowl, or you don’t and you are probably not competing for the Super Bowl. That’s simple.”

What a genius.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Annoyed-facepalm-picard-l.png

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
[QUOTE="Faceplant, post: 756698, member: 155"

Maybe Goff just needs a little "it" plastic surgery in the eye areas...