Well, now we know....Von Miller's contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
6 yrs 114M w/70M guarunteed.

This of course, sets the market for Aaron Donald.....i think.

They're different players, so I'm not sure if theres a direct comparison to be made and thus a market to tie into.

Miller will get either 17M or 17.5M every year, with the exception of year 3 which is 19M.

My question is this for you serious fans ....do you think we off that kinda money for Donald?
Do you think the position warrants that kinda money?
Do you think the Rams will want to pay out like that to keep him or anyone?
Do you think this contract will have much to do with Aarons?

watcha think?

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/den...ches-agreement-on-six-year-contract/274328718

KUSA - Denver Broncos General Manager John Elway became a living legend for his comebacks. There was "The Drive," and now there is "The Deal."

With Elway at the point, the Broncos signed star pass-rusher Von Miller to a six-year, $114.5-million contract Friday that will include $23 million in upfront cash (through signing or roster bonus) and a whopping $70 million in guarantees, sources told 9NEWS.

In average annual value and total guaranteed dollars, Miller will become not only the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history, but his contract will be the richest at any position other than quarterback.

“I’m super happy and excited to be back with my teammates for the next six years,'' Miller said in a statement. "This is something I really wanted—to stay with the Denver Broncos. I am so appreciative and grateful for this opportunity. I want to thank Mr. Bowlen, Joe Ellis, John Elway and Coach Kubiak for making this possible. I’m also thankful for the way my teammates and our fans have supported me. I’m excited for the future and ready to get back to work.”

The breakdown of Miller’s contract, according to sources:

• 2016: $17 million signing bonus/$6 million roster bonus ($23 million paid out within 14 days), $2 million in salary and workout bonus, other bonuses. Total $25 million (fully guaranteed). The year one payout was the only metric he did not surpass Philadelphia defensive tackle Fletcher Cox, who got $27.3 million upfront with his recent contract extension
  • 2017: $17 million in salary, bonuses (fully guaranteed). Total is $42 million after two years. Cox got $36.3 million guaranteed after year two
  • 2018: $19 million in salary, bonuses. (Injury-only guarantee, converts to full guarantee in eight months, or March 17). Total is $61 million after three years. Cox got $55.55 million guaranteed after year three
  • 2019: $17.5 million in salary, bonuses. (Injury-only guarantee but $9 million converts to full guarantee a year earlier, or in March, 2018). Total is $78.5 million after four years with $70 million guaranteed. Cox got $63.3 million guaranteed after year four
  • 2020: $17.5 million in salary. $500,000 work out bonus (no guarantees). Total is $96.5 million after five years
  • 2021: $17.5 million in salary. $500,000 work out bonus (no guarantees). Total is $114.5 million after six years
As recently as last week, it appeared Miller’s days as a Bronco were numbered. Call it bluster. Call it a clash of male egos. But Miller’s feelings were sore and the two sides seemed too far apart on how the contract should be structured.

"Any time you have a long negotiation, by definition there are peaks and valleys," Joby Branion, Miller's agent, said in a phone interview with 9News. "There are great moments of advancement and communication, and there are others where one side or the other feels slighted or feels left in the dark. And that just happens in long negotiations.

"The bottom line is you want to get to this day. Where both sides feel like the deal works for them. John is competitive. And he's one of the best competitors we'll ever know. And he competes off the field just as hard as he did on the field. He finds a way to get the job done. He sets a goal and rarely does he not achieve his goal. I think his goal was to sign Von Miller. Von had options as we all know. He was convinced his best option was to become a Bronco for life. I know that Von has a deep respect for John. He shared that with me and I shared that with Von.''

But negotiations became serious on July 7 when Elway rewrote his proposal so that the guarantee of Miller’s third-year payout was triggered a year early. The two sides exchanged proposals again Friday with Elway working directly with Joby Branion, Miller’s agent. This time, the Broncos provided an early trigger on a $9 million guarantee in year four of Miller’s contract.

In the end, Elway upped Miller’s final guarantee from $39.8 million after two years and roughly $58 million in partial guarantees after three years to $42 million in full guarantee after two years and the $70 million in all-but-full guarantees after three years. That’s an incredible 75.9 percent increase in all-but-full guarantees in a 24-hour period.

“Von’s earned this contract not only for what he’s done in the past but for what we believe he’ll do in the future,'' Elway said in a statement. "This was a long process that ended the way we all wanted—with Von being part of the Denver Broncos for many more years. Our team had a tremendous year last season, and the way Von performed the final few weeks was such a big part of our Super Bowl run. Going forward, we expect great things from Von not only on the field but with the responsibility he has as a leader on the team. I’m proud of how we’ve handled this situation and give credit to everyone on our staff who helped get this done.”

Miller’s $19.083 million a year average exceeds the previous defensive average record of $19.063 million received last year by Miami’s Ndamukong Suh. And the $70 million in “essential” guarantees exceeds the $63.3 million guaranteed deal Philadelphia gave defensive tackle Fletcher Cox last month.

Only Indianapolis quarterback Andrew Luck, who two weeks ago received a new $140 million contract extension, has greater guarantees in his deal with $75 million.

At last, some good news in this otherwise difficult Broncos offseason. Elway made waves in league circles back in March when he candidly stated after quarterback Brock Osweiler’s departure that he sought to build his teams, “with players who want to be Denver Broncos and want to be here.’’ He put money to his stated philosophy by securing Miller, who the day after he became the Super Bowl 50 MVP reaffirmed his commitment to the Broncos and said negotiations with Elway “would be a peaceful thing.’’

Ha!

Talks remained mostly respectful as the Broncos placed a $14.26 million “exclusive” franchise tag on Miller on March 1. For at least three months, the major differences came in that the Broncos were negotiating from the franchise-tag market -- where they obligated to pay $14.26 million in year one, $17.112 million in year two and $24.64 million in year three for a total of $56.0 million -- while Miller’s camp worked from the open, free-agent market, which they figured placed his value at $22 million to $25 million a year.

But talks became hostile on June 7 when after the Broncos’ delivered their own self-imposed deadline for Miller to accept their offer, sensitive details of negotiations became public.

Miller reacted by cropping Elway out of an Instagram photo that otherwise included head coach Gary Kubiak, pass rushing partner DeMarcus Ware and now-retired quarterback Peyton Manning.

Miller later stated on Twitter there is “No Chance I play the 2016 season under the Franchise tag.”

The Broncos, meanwhile, were frustrated by the growing perception they were taking a hard-line approach to negotiations when in fact their contract proposals to Miller were considerably greater than they were obligated to offer under the league’s franchise-tag rules.

Before engaging in serious negotiations last week, the two sides first worked to put aside their hard feelings. Elway spoke directly with Miller three times between June 5 and the Fourth of July weekend – once during the team’s Super Bowl trip to the White House on June 6, another time during the team’s Super Bowl ring ceremony on June 12, and again by phone.

Miller also had two phone conversations with Broncos president and chief executive officer Joe Ellis.

Although the deadline for reaching a multiyear deal with Miller as a franchise-tagged player wasn’t until next Friday, July 15, negotiations turned serious last Thursday.

For two reasons: One, the Broncos needed to start formulating trade plans in the event they couldn’t reach agreement with Miller. And two, Elway was about to vacation out of the country.

Since Elway chose Miller – and not the likes of Marcell Dareus and Patrick Peterson – with his No. 2 overall draft pick in 2011, the former Texas A&M product has registered 60.0 sacks through his first five regular seasons with the Broncos.

Miller then had his magic moment in the Broncos’ successful 2015 postseason run when he registered 2 1/2 sacks and an interception against Tom Brady in an AFC Championship Game win against New England on January 24 and then 2 1/2 sacks that led to two fumbles and two touchdowns in a Super Bowl 50 win against Carolina on Feb. 7.

The Broncos came a long way from their opening offer of $17 million per year – a little more than what Kansas City gave Justin Houston in 2015 -- during the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

The further time went on, though, the more the market moved in Miller’s favor. In free agency, a defensive lineman with less than half of Miller’s production, Olivier Vernon, got a contract worth $17 million a year from the New York Giants. Vernon’s contract pays him $29 million in year one of his deal. Later, Cox got a monstrous contract extension.

It’s just no longer not quite as monstrous compared to Miller’s new deal.

"You have your quarterbacks and you have your quarterback neutralizers,'' Branion said. "That's what Von is and kudos to John Elway for recognizing a player as talented and versatile as Von Miller.''

Last edited:

tempests

Hall of Fame
I'm thinking Fletcher Cox type deal more than Von Miller. But if Donald continues on his current trajectory I won't even try and guess what the upper limit for an extension might be.

Hard to say how the current regime might handle this. Long and Laurinaitis were the only two defensive players they resigned and that was four years ago.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
By the time AD gets into contract negotiations, the salary cap will probably $20mil+ than what it is now. He will get more than $70 mil guaranteed. And that will be fine. Every year now a new player breaks the record for Guaranteed money.

In 2-3 years when it does happen, I suspect around $80-85mil guaranteed over 6 years. Will be in the top three for defensive players, maybe even the top at that moment(sure to be broken the next year by someone else).

I dont care how much we have to pay him, he is a HoF talent and will be worth every penny. If the Rams FO let AD become a FA then I will be extremely disappointed. You do not let players like AD hit FA, no matter the cost. The Rams will pay whatever it takes to keep him a Ram.

Long live Aaron Donald!! The Ram, the Myth, the Legend!!

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
You pay HOF talent whatever it takes to keep them in horns. AD99 will be a Ram lifer, mark my words.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Freaking owners are insane. Hard to phantom how they keep their millions. Gauruntee 70 million for 6 years? And if he gets injured the first game this year and never plays again?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Freaking owners are insane. Hard to phantom how they keep their millions. Gauruntee 70 million for 6 years? And if he gets injured the first game this year and never plays again?

What does it matter to them. The amount of money they have to pay to players is determined in the cba. Can't just keep it in their pockets, those days are over. 1,700 players share 50% of the profit, 32 owners share the other 50%. You do the math.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
AD is going to break the bank if he continues on his rise! But I really like having that presence in the middle of the DL. It only helps everyone around him to get their's as well.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I hope they get AD signed but my fear is that his agent is going to convince him to become a free agent.

This new CBA and rookie cap need to be tweaked, it's not at all working out like the league and union wanted.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaron Donald HAS to remain a Ram....Look at the Eagles letting Reggie White go....I think that organization regrets that move until this day.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Donald is a must-sign. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. He's the catalyst for our defense and arguably the top player in the NFL right now.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Donald has a deal for 4 years and about 10MIL. I think the team holds a 5th year option.

I hope they can get a deal done, he's critical, but I cannot blame him if he tests the waters, the money is going to be CRAZY for a player like him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I mentioned a few weeks back that Brockers could end up being the odd man out with all the future high salaried defensive linemen for the Rams. His option year has his CAP already in excess of $6.mil, as a free agent, he may seek upwards of $10.mil+. Donald will be in his option year in 2018, so not an immediate threat to move into free agency, Quinn has already been tied up thru the 2019 season, so Brockers is the next man up due to becoming a free agent in 2017. This pre-season the Rams brought in free agent D-Linemen Coples, Easley and Cam Thomas, and the already IR'd Trinca-Pasat should also be returning for 2017. Outside of LDE Hayes, who I might venture could be replaced once the Rams get themselves another 1'st round draft pick in 2018, Brockers, arguably, may just be the most replaceable of our front 4. It's still more than logical to try and re-sign the very young 25 year old Brockers, but if anyone is deserving for being paid absolutely top dollar, that simply has to be Donald, ... the team must remain CAP savvy to assure his continuing presence. Easley is perhaps the B+ version to Donald's A+; Copley is larger than Easley, probably better in rush D, and can play all over the place, including at 3-4 DE if ever called to do so. Thomas is a massive run blocker who could either rotate behind Brockers or play next to him in obvious 3'rd down & short run and goal line defense situations. Thomas will undoubtedly need a very strong camp to make the 53 being how much depth already exists.
The Rams will have several D-Line options available to them in 2016, and Trinca-Pasat's IR status may actually help with that in the short term. Add Longacre, Sims & Westbrooks, this is going to be one very competitive camp.
When it comes to 2017 free agency, the Rams should be in pretty good CAP condition, but if it comes between Brockers and a legitimate young veteran # 1 WR, all bets are off. jmo.

Ram65

Legend
Check this out. As Donald should be able to redo/extend his deal before next season entering year four of his rookie deal. Rams have an option in for year five but no reason to wait. Get it done. Defensive lineman are now making big time money.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/aaron-donald/

https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/jets_mo_wilkerson_contract_used_eagles_fletcher_co.html

Jets' Mo Wilkerson contract used Eagles' Fletcher Cox deal as framework

-b0abbaa3704c35a2.JPG

Muhammad Wilkerson, DE (96), smiles during stretches as the New York Jets hold their first practice of training camp at the Florham Park training facility. Florham Park ,NJ 7/30/15 (Amanda Marzullo | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Email
By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Follow on Twitter
on July 16, 2016 at 9:00 AM, updated July 16, 2016 at 9:40 AM

The Jets could've signed defensive Muhammad Wilkerson for much cheaper if they just locked him up last offseason. That much is clear.

But since last offseason, contract values for defensive linemen have skyrocketed. And on Friday, just before the franchise tag deadline, the Jets gave Wilkerson a five-year, $86 million contract that includes $54 million in guaranteed pay.

Analyzing Jets' Muhammad Wilkerson contract
Wilkerson wanted a six-year deal. The Jets held firm on five years. A five-year deal was fine with Wilkerson's camp, in the end, as long as the monetary parameters looked similar to what defensive tackle Fletcher Cox got from the Eagles.

The Cox deal was the primary framework for what Wilkerson wanted. And $17 million per year was the magic number for Wilkerson's camp. Wilkerson got it, just as Cox did. Their guaranteed money at signing figures are also very similar — $37 million for Wilkerson and $36.299 million for Cox.

Defensive end Olivier Vernon's contract from the Giants and defensive tackle Marcell Dareus' deal with the Bills also formed part of the baseline for Wilkerson's demands. But for the most part, Wilkerson wanted to match the Cox deal. And Wilkerson's camp and the Jets leaned heavily on that framework in their talks.

Cox signed in mid-June, while Vernon signed in March and Dareus signed in September. Those deals surely helped drive up Wilkerson's market value.

Here's how all four contracts compare:

Muhammad Wilkerson
Years: 5

Maximum total value: $86 million

Total guarantee: $54 million

Guarantee at signing: $37 million

Signing bonus: $15 million

Yearly average: $17.2 million

Fletcher Cox
Years: 6

Maximum total value: $102.6 million

Total guarantee: $63.299 million

Guarantee at signing: $36.299 million

Signing bonus: $26 million

Yearly average: $17.1 million

Olivier Vernon
Years: 5

Maximum total value: $85 million

Total guarantee: $52.5 million

Guarantee at signing: $40.5 million

Signing bonus: $20 million

Yearly average: $17 million

Marcell Dareus
Years: 6

Maximum total value: $96.574 million

Total guarantee: $60 million

Guarantee at signing: $42.9 million

Signing bonus: $25 million

Yearly average: $16.095 million

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6 yrs 114M w/70M guarunteed.

Von Miller's seems closer to what Aaron Donald will get. It could be somewhere in the middle of the top 19 Million and 17 Million per year and closer to 70 Million guaranteed. Someone will pay him so it better be the Rams. Demoff seems to be the master at structuring deals and balancing the cap. I have faith he will get a deal signed that's good for both Donald and the Rams.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I just think that's too damn much money..If there was a LB worth it, it would be Miller..
I just wouldn't pay anybody short of a 1st tier QB that much cheddar...Guess that's the way it is and now always will be...Now journeymen are going to be getting 3- year $20+ million deals...Wow

A55VA6

Legend
When it comes to extending Donald, you pay the man. The guy is a monster with a crazy work ethic and a good head on his shoulders. He will be a Ram for life if they're smart.