Well, I just re-watched what might have been a “turning point” game for the Rams...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Think I’m being too dramatic? Well, let me set the stage for you.

First Seahawk game and it was in Seattle. Very hostile and noisy crowd, to say the least.

Cold and damp, ball was wet all day.

Incompetent officiating crew. To the point that it was suspicious._

Rams were 4-0 and Seahawks were 2-2, but on a 2 game winning streak.

GZ out, and Chris Santos, our 3rd kicker for the year, in. He did make 2 FG’s but missed a critical pat on a perfect snap and hold. Geez...

Rams lost Cooks due to concussion on that vicious helmet to helmet by Tedricks in the 1st half. No flag, even. Even on the re-watch it still blows my mind.

Rams lost Kupp due to concussion in 1st half due to Mingo body slamming Kupp’s helmet into turf. Nobody noticed it even happening at the time, so no flag obviously.

Reynolds, Hodge, and Everett forced to step up to replace Cooks and Kupp as best they could. Did a fine job, actually, but talk about unneeded extra Ram challenges...

Rams D had no answer for Seahawk running game. Gave up approx 200 yards, I believe. Couldn’t control Wilson very well when he scrambled around, either. Ram D surrendered 31 points to the Seahawks. Peters, in particular, embarrassed himself in coverage, giving up TWO TD’s. Geez...

Refs credited Morse with a TD despite replays showing he stepped out of bounds twice. Said, “insufficient to overturn call on field”.

One ref failed to throw a flag on Tedricks on a critical 3rd down play right in front of him when Tedricks clearly got there way early hitting Woods. Another official 20 yards away had to throw the danged flag. WTH?

And let’s don’t forget that infamous poor spot late that robbed Gurley and the Rams of a critical 1st down late in the game while clinging to a mere 2 point lead.

Enough adversity for the Rams, you think? Lol.

So now we come down to the moment of truth for the Rams in this game. My “turning point” moment, so to speak.

Rams out of time outs having been forced to use them all with 9 minutes remaining due to crowd noise.

Less than 2 minutes remaining.

4th and 6 inches to go and with a crowd being disruptive as heck with the noise.

Ball on approx Ram 40 yard line.

Only a 33-31 lead, so a Seahawk FG wins it for them.

Clearly a swing game in the division race and a game with obvious playoff implications down the road.

McVay sends out Hekker for the punt. But wait! Carroll uses his last TO even though clock is stopped due to official measurement!

IMO, it is now that a fire was ignited among Ram players and coaches.

McVay reconsiders and sends the O back out! Goff and that magnificent OL blew the Seahawks back and Goff sneaks for about 2-3 yards! Mr “unflappable” comes up fist pumping and loaded with emotion, quickly surrounded by his teammates. Might be my favorite danged play of the year because of the circumstances leading up to it and the final consequences.

Dang! Even on my TV a thousand miles away I could feel the emotion, hairs raising on my arms as I RE-WATCHED this dramatic game! Wow!

So, yeah. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that at that time and in that pivotal moment the Rams players and McVay bonded together in some fundamental way that they never lost again that season. There was love, respect, and a ton of well earned self confidence earned that day and at that moment by and for all parties involved. All of which enabled them to go 13-3 and eventually to the SB.

What a special game and ending...

Hot Damn!

socalrams90

Starter
That game created the separation we needed the rest of the season. I would always do a "what if" in the standings a few weeks after regarding this game and things would've been a lot closer if we didn't win this one.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
What made that even sweeter was Carroll calling the timeout and it coming back to bite him. If he doesn't, McVay doesn't have the extra time to reconsider his decision to punt. That was probably the most fired up I've ever seen Goff in a game. They were so confident in getting that first down, it coulda been 4th and 2 and they woulda made it.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What made that even sweeter was Carroll calling the timeout and it coming back to bite him. If he doesn't, McVay doesn't have the extra time to reconsider his decision to punt. That was probably the most fired up I've ever seen Goff in a game. They were so confident in getting that first down, it coulda been 4th and 2 and they woulda made it.

Yup. The look on Carroll’s face when he realized he’d been had was PRICELESS. Lol.