Well...heres a few nice stats to take away from the game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
- Harvey Dahl of the Rams had his third straight start at right tackle. He has allowed less pressure since making the move from right guard, and didn’t allow any pressure in this game.

While there hasn’t been much to like about the Rams this year, at least they have a group of young pass rushers that can give St. Louis fans a reason to be optimistic. As usual Chris Long (+4.0) led the group with a hit and four pressures. Rookie first round pick Robert Quinn (+2.2 pass rush) has seen his snaps increase in recent weeks, and his 55 snaps in this game are the most he has seen. In that time he managed two hits and two pressures. Finally C.J. Ah You (+1.7) had his best game back after missing the first half of the season with an injury. He had a sack and three pressures and lined up across the line. While the play of the line wasn’t nearly enough to come up with a victory, it still slowed down Seattle’s offense and helped the team not lose by more.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/13/re-focused-rams-seahawks-week-14/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... s-week-14/</a>

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
At least theres one thing we can count on moving forward. The dline will have a good pass rush for years to come.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It'd be nice if the Rams had such a great line that Dahl was the swing man. But I'll take this in the meantime.

Thanks for posting.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Now we just need a LT, a LG, a C, and a RG and our line will be money.

H. Dahl has played very well, I've been very impressed.

Anonymous

DR RAM said:

I disagree. I think both Saffold and Brown can be re-educated out of the problems they had this year, and Mattison can sub for Bell as a left guard. Dahl is fine as you say. That leaves ROT, since IMO Smith is a goner cause of injuries (you can't trust him to stay healthy and concussions are a bad thing to have as a recurring injury). They already have candidates on hand for ROT, since ROTs aren't that hard to find (Welch, LeVoir, Hughes).

That would not be a bad line when healthy and when they aren't struggling with the offense the way, for example, Saffold was this year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
zn said:
DR RAM said:

I disagree. I think both Saffold and Brown can be re-educated out of the problems they had this year, and Mattison can sub for Bell as a left guard. Dahl is fine as you say. That leaves ROT, since IMO Smith is a goner cause of injuries (you can't trust him to stay healthy and concussions are a bad thing to have as a recurring injury). They already have candidates on hand for ROT, since ROTs aren't that hard to find (Welch, LeVoir, Hughes).

That would not be a bad line when healthy and when they aren't struggling with the offense the way, for example, Saffold was this year.
I was using sarcasm (jokes), for the obvious disarray of our offensive line this year. But, I do think that Saffold and Dahl will be the only returning players on the line. I have high hopes for Hughes, but he still needs development, and I think he's better suited at Guard. No hopes for Brown, but he's a better Center than Wragge in my study, still not good enough though. I'll be evaluating Mattison for the rest of the year, but he's not blowing me away. I'll pass on Levior, not powerful or athletic enough for me. I'm one of the few that like Bell, or at least know that Bell has played decently, but I don't think he will be re-signed. I agree on Smith, and anyone that knows me, knows my stance on Goldberg.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:

So if we drafted a LT, do you think we move Saffold to RT, or put him at RG, and Dahl at RT?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:

So if we drafted a LT, do you think we move Saffold to RT, or put him at RG, and Dahl at RT?
I think they'd move Saffold to RT, but I love knowing that Dahl can play there if needed. What do you guys think?

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:

I think they'd move Saffold to RT, but I love knowing that Dahl can play there if needed. What do you guys think?

If we get a Matt Kalil at LT, Saffold to RT, Dahl at RG, and then we upgrade at C and LG (Smith if he's willing to restructure, can give him a shot but have quality ready to play if needed) I'm all for it. Depends on what Kalil does, from most USC fans around here they say they want him back, but don't expect it, nor do they think it would be smart. I guess we will find out.

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:

I see Saffold as an LOT all the way and also that what happened to him this year was misleading. He has technique issues to shore up and confidence issues and that's one good off-season away from coming out the gate ready. Meanwhile he doesn't have the skill set for ROT. He's not a mauler type and would be wasted there.

This will take months to resolve but my bet is, Saffold is fine next year and fine at LOT at that.

I think lots of people are reading the wrong things into what happened this year.

Just a different view.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
zn said:
DR RAM said:

I agree. The question is whether the coaches see it that way. You can't fix everything, and Brown isn't that bad. They could do a lot worse there.

It's time for some playmakers anyway.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
zn said:
DR RAM said:
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:

I see Saffold as an LOT all the way and also that what happened to him this year was misleading. He has technique issues to shore up and confidence issues and that's one good off-season away from coming out the gate ready. Meanwhile he doesn't have the skill set for ROT. He's not a mauler type and would be wasted there.

This will take months to resolve but my bet is, Saffold is fine next year and fine at LOT at that.

I think lots of people are reading the wrong things into what happened this year.

Just a different view.
Why do you have to throw that in there?

Saffold wasn't having a lot of technique issues, but he was certainly having confidence problems and scheme issues which caused hesitancy in who he blocked--and that killed him, but the problem is that he never really improved. That bothers me for sure and it should bother the coaching staff. Where Saffold made a major improvement was in his run blocking, he was excellent this year, but was sub-par last year, so can he play the RT? He sure as damn well could. Can he play LT, I think that he can, he certainly has the skill set, but he needs the confidence. He's not the ideal LT, longer arms, more weight and strength would be a real benefit at the position, and he can only fix one of those things. I like Saffold. I mocked Saffold to the Rams out of the draft. I hope that what we saw was an aberration.

Angry Ram: Brown was horrible, we need an upgrade at whatever position he plays. What does this have to do with playmakers? I agree...we need playmakers.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wasn't Saffold originally drafted to be a RT? It wasn't till they got to camp that they swapped him and Smith I thought.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:
zn said:
DR RAM said:
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:

Just a different view.

Angry Ram: Brown was horrible, we need an upgrade at whatever position he plays. What does this have to do with playmakers? I agree...we need playmakers.

You can't just get rid of him and have 100% confidence you'll get a sure fire long time starter. Sure, if they're lucky. Just like w/ you and Bell, I think Brown should be kept...if anything as a stop gap. Playmakers would help Bradford...and hopefully will bailout the OL b/c then defenses won't keep sending jail breaks on every 3rd down since they have to respect Blackmon or Jeffery or whoever.

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
zn said:
DR RAM said:
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:

Just a different view.

Saffold wasn't having a lot of technique issues, but he was certainly having confidence problems and scheme issues which caused hesitancy in who he blocked--and that killed him, but the problem is that he never really improved. That bothers me for sure and it should bother the coaching staff. Where Saffold made a major improvement was in his run blocking, he was excellent this year, but was sub-par last year, so can he play the RT? He sure as damn well could. Can he play LT, I think that he can, he certainly has the skill set, but he needs the confidence. He's not the ideal LT, longer arms, more weight and strength would be a real benefit at the position, and he can only fix one of those things. I like Saffold. I mocked Saffold to the Rams out of the draft. I hope that what we saw was an aberration.

I saw Saffold get bull rushed back into the qb a lot and that's technique, right? In fact that was such a part of his game that ARZ began lining up Calais Campbell over him in 3rd down pass rushing sets.

I assume that technical things like that can be handled when he becomes better at attacking first and getting into the pass rusher instead of just backing out and responding.

Yes I agree the entire OL was unclear on assignments and had that hesitancy and lack of confidence. Brown included. What that tells me is that the coordinator was rushing ahead of them and not slowing down enough to build in basic execution. It's one thing to not have enough time to install your system; it's another to keep doing the same things even after it has become apparent there was a problem with the installation, that for whatever reason he had gone too fast for them.

I don't think McD knew how to work with young players.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:

I think you nailed it.

Without a good line that can control the LOS you can't score points and if you can't score points you can't win games. A productive OL is the single biggest improvement to help a defense out by controlling the clock and keeping the D off the field and fresh..

Kalil fixes the line and Saffold would be perfect at RT. The days of the maulers are over with 4-3 teams putting speed rushers against them and all the 3-4's with the fast OLB's. Maulers by nature have slower first steps and shorter arms and that's what makes them....well Maulers. Saffold is quick enough to excell at RT. Ideally I would like to see Dahl back to his best position G. And Bell would be fine if he came back. Brown can just go and not look back.

So what do we do with Smith? If he is able to play I would re-do his contract and let him learn the G pos. and backup at T unless he can win a starting job.

Before I cut Smith I would bring in a new OL coach and see how that works. Because sometimes you just have to shoot the messenger.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:

I think you nailed it.

Without a good line that can control the LOS you can't score points and if you can't score points you can't win games. A productive OL is the single biggest improvement to help a defense out by controlling the clock and keeping the D off the field and fresh..

Kalil fixes the line and Saffold would be perfect at RT. The days of the maulers are over with 4-3 teams putting speed rushers against them and all the 3-4's with the fast OLB's. Maulers by nature have slower first steps and shorter arms and that's what makes them....well Maulers. Saffold is quick enough to excell at RT. Ideally I would like to see Dahl back to his best position G. And Bell would be fine if he came back. Brown can just go and not look back.

So what do we do with Smith? If he is able to play I would re-do his contract and let him learn the G pos. and backup at T unless he can win a starting job.

Before I cut Smith I would bring in a new OL coach and see how that works. Because sometimes you just have to shoot the messenger.

I get the optimistic feeling that a new OL coach will drastically improve the OL. Loney has been here since 08, and I know we have dealt with plenty of injuries at times but I still think we gotta find someone else to coach them.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
zn said:
DR RAM said:
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:

Just a different view.

You can't just get rid of him and have 100% confidence you'll get a sure fire long time starter. Sure, if they're lucky. Just like w/ you and Bell, I think Brown should be kept...if anything as a stop gap. Playmakers would help Bradford...and hopefully will bailout the OL b/c then defenses won't keep sending jail breaks on every 3rd down since they have to respect Blackmon or Jeffery or whoever.

IMO if you could somehow put Megatron and Andre Johnson out there with Lloyd rest of this season you might get another TD a game with the OL we have right now. Opponents would have one plan "Kill Sam" They would bring the house every play. Just what Spags would do. And even if they did get a lead they couldn't control the clock with running the ball. The reason the GSOT stopped scoring at a record pace was that they lost the ability to protect.

But your right we need playmakers and lots of them.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
zn said:
DR RAM said:
zn said:
DR RAM said:
JdashSTL said:
DR RAM said:

Just a different view.

I saw Saffold get bull rushed back into the qb a lot and that's technique, right? In fact that was such a part of his game that ARZ began lining up Calais Campbell over him in 3rd down pass rushing sets.

I assume that technical things like that can be handled when he becomes better at attacking first and getting into the pass rusher instead of just backing out and responding.

Yes I agree the entire OL was unclear on assignments and had that hesitancy and lack of confidence. Brown included. What that tells me is that the coordinator was rushing ahead of them and not slowing down enough to build in basic execution. It's one thing to not have enough time to install your system; it's another to keep doing the same things even after it has become apparent there was a problem with the installation, that for whatever reason he had gone too fast for them.

I don't think McD knew how to work with young players.
Honestly Zn, his technique was OK on those, it was the indecision and position (not knowing where to be) that allowed those guys to get a 5 - 8 yard full sprint and attack him from the wide 9. He was anchoring fine, but they just literally hit him with so much force that he slid backwards taking chunks of ground with him. Would have been harder to do that with someone bigger and or with longer arms. Like I said, I still think he can play there, please don't miss that point. My main point is, I think there are only 2 guys coming back...Saffold being one of them. If we or anybody expect Brown to have any kind of a role on our line, we will be in trouble...again. He got demoted at Center, and didn't play well at all at Guard.

I'd be OK with bringing Bell back, but how they treated him, I'm not so sure it would happen, and he's not a mauler either, which I'd like to see for this team as long as we have SJ39. I believe that our o-line coach has limitations. I have rarely to maybe never seen an offensive lineman improve with him coaching and I have to assume that he will be retained, thus my hesitancy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:

I think you nailed it.

I think a new o-line coach could be beneficial and needs to be evaluated, but my problem with Smith is that he can't play Tackle, he may be an excellent Guard, who knows, but with the concussions that really worries me. If he's not medically retired he will be back, he counts against our cap next year, but there better be a backup plan.