We'll be facing Jonathan Martin twice a season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Thought this deserved a thread of its own.

49ers acquire Jonathan Martin in trade with Dolphins
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 11, 2014

jonathan-martin.jpg
AP

Tuesday didn’t just mark the start of free agency but the start of trading season in the NFL as well. For the second time today, the San Francisco 49ers have made a trade with a team in the state of Florida.

A source confirmed to PFT that the 49ers have acquired tackle Jonathan Martin from the Miami Dolphins in exchange for a conditional draft pick. The trade was first reported by Adam Schefter of ESPN.com.

Martin started seven games for the Dolphins this season before electing to walk away from the team after what he felt to be repeated bullying at the hands ofRichie Incognito and other players on Miami’s roster. The fall out from the accusations has been immense as Incognito was suspended, coaches and staff of the Dolphins were let go and Martin never returned to the team.

Now Martin is reunited with Jim Harbaugh, his former head coach at Stanford University. Harbaugh vouched for Martin in the Wells Report and said he believes Martin can still succeed in the league. Therefore it’s not surprising there would be interest from the 49ers to bring Martin to give him a chance at a fresh start.

While Indianapolis also seemed like a possible fit with Andrew Luck and former Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton, General Manager Ryan Grigsonvalues toughness in his players, which is a massive mark against Martin at the moment.

Previously, the 49ers also acquired quarterback Blaine Gabbert from the Jacksonville Jaguarsin exchange for a sixth-round draft pick.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For whatever reason when I read this I was thinking Doug Martin and almost flipped a shit

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Not exactly a good locker room guy. I wouldn't want to play with the guy. Good for us though.

fearsomefour

Legend
It makes sense for the whiners. Reunites him with his college coach. He can develop on the bench behind Staley. If it works out they get a young guy with some talent for a conditional pick. If not they are out almost nothing.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Now if they're only stupid enough to sign Incognito too...

That plus the drama with Harbaugh would be my present to the 49ers to show how much I love them.... as in only slightly more than I love mass murderers. ;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Martin eventually starts for San Francisco all the Rams DTs have to do is start insulting him, call him names and talk about his sister and he will not have his head in the game. No problem.

I think the 49ers are getting worse as time goes by.

69superbowl

Rookie
The faint smell of desperation is wafting down from Frisco. Either that or it's the ridiculously big downtown construction fire, not sure which. Or both.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Harbaugh can’t wait to give Martin “a big hug”
Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2014

martin1.jpg
Getty Images

Forgotten in the free-agency frenzy was the status of tackle Jonathan Martin. A sudden reminder came Tuesday night, when the Dolphins shipped Martin to the 49ers for a conditional seventh-round pick in 2015.

It reunites Martin with one of his college head coaches, Stanford’s Jim Harbaugh. And Harbaugh is happy to welcome Martin back to the Bay Area.

I can’t wait to give him a big hug,” Harbaugh told Jarrett Bell of USA Today.

“The goal with this transition is win-win,” the fourth-year 49ers coach explained. “It’s an opportunity for Jonathan Martin to prove to the football world that he is worthy of his high-round draft status. The goal is for this to be win-win. As far as the other thing, I think everybody deserves an Etch-A-Sketch opportunity for a second chance.”

The 49ers will lose that 2015 seventh-round pick only if Martin is on the 49ers’ opening-day roster.

Some would say Martin’s situation shouldn’t be described as a “second chance,” since he left the Dolphins through no fault of his own. Regardless, he doesn’t have many more chances in the NFL. If it doesn’t work out with Harbaugh in San Francisco, it likely won’t work out anywhere.
--------------------
An "Etch-A-Sketch opportunity" WTH?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who'll be the first in line to snap his ass with a towel or short-sheet his bed? Inquiring minds want to know.
-----------------
Jonathan Martin looking forward to “blank slate” with 49ers

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 14, 2014

jonathan-martin1.jpg
AP

While reuniting with collegiate head coach Jim Harabugh in San Francisco, newly acquired tackle Jonathan Martin is ready for a fresh start with the 49ers.

The 49ers sent a conditional draft pick to the Dolphins on Tuesday to acquire the player – along with Richie Incognito– at the heart of the bullying saga in Miami last season. After passing his physical to complete the deal on Thursday, Martin is excited for the new opportunity in the Bay Area after a tumultuous year in South Florida.

“It’s a blank slate for me,” Martin said. “I’m looking to revitalizing my career, getting back to playing I’ve started 23 games to this date. I’m a young player but I’ve had some starting experience. I want to do whatever I can to contribute to this (offensive) line.

“I couldn’t be happier.”

Martin says the initial correspondence he’s had with his new teammates in San Francisco have been positive.

“I’m getting along just great with those guys,” Martin said. “I felt a warm welcome from the entire 49ers community, fanbase, coaching staff, everybody. I’m just looking forward to the future and getting back to playing football.”

With Joe Staley and Anthony Davis entrenched as starters at the tackle positions, Martin will likely start his 49ers career as a backup swing tackle.

“I have to earn my spot on this team,” Martin said. “I’m open to anything.”

Martin played in just seven games with Miami last season before walking away from the team.

“All that’s in the past at this point,” Martin said.