Welcome To Jamrock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRTrJTaOntU[/youtube]

Ras Tafari !!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Dude's got some brains - eh?

Mars-Attacks.jpg

Related?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW man - loading Marley's "Legend" on my phone right now. Finally found the CD when we made my youngest clean his room. Part of me was pissed that it was on his floor and part of me was happy that he listens to Marley.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL at the martian Stu... Damian has some super long dreads under that hat. It takes a lot of room to wrap those babies up in there.

That Legend album is more than just a classic. Positive music, for positive people. Or as Bob would say, "The Rastaman vibration is positve".

My boys all listen to reggae. My oldest is really into it. And just to dispel any stereotypes, he just banged out a perfect score on his SAT a few months back. He'll be a senior next year, and like one of your's, he's doing the dual enrollment thing were he's only taking two HS classes in the morning and taking college classes in the afternoon. He's got a 4.8 GPA. Most importantly though, if I remember correctly, he was singing most of the songs on the Legend album when he was 4 years old. :mrgreen:

I'll post another vid of JR Gong's with his dreads out.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
His locks are longer now, but this will explain the hat

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa5zPJi2ynI[/youtube]

Here he is years ago pre-dread.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8S9T3LStec[/youtube]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah I figured there were some crazy dreads under that cap.

My youngest just took the SATs yesterday. He thinks he did pretty well - guess we'll see. He's far from a 4.8 student but will qualify for going to U of O at just under a 4.0. He's certainly not the stereotype either. Total toe head. I think he's up to 8 guitars now. He will be performing at a big outdoor concert and festival in July. The kid is going to be doing his own version of House of the Rising Sun, Down by the River, Old Man, and one other he hasn't picked yet. It'll probably be more current. He is also going to be doing another set with his band.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
RamFan503 said:
Yeah I figured there were some crazy dreads under that cap.

My youngest just took the SATs yesterday. He thinks he did pretty well - guess we'll see. He's far from a 4.8 student but will qualify for going to U of O at just under a 4.0. He's certainly not the stereotype either. Total toe head. I think he's up to 8 guitars now. He will be performing at a big outdoor concert and festival in July. The kid is going to be doing his own version of House of the Rising Sun, Down by the River, Old Man, and one other he hasn't picked yet. It'll probably be more current. He is also going to be doing another set with his band.

Sounds like it's gonna be a great time... good tunes too. Enjoy proud Papa.

Maybe he can mix in a Redemption Song since he's playing classics like those :tooth:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFGgbT_VasI[/youtube]

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Speaking of sons...

Here's another one of Bob's sons with Damian. A brother, from another mother. :cool:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZk1x14DpLo[/youtube]

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Im not a huge reggae guy, but when I listen to it you can bet Im listening to Damian Marley. He strays away from the traditional chill reggae and adds an edge. Love his music. Welcome to Jamrock is his best imo

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
libertadrocks said:
Im not a huge reggae guy, but when I listen to it you can bet Im listening to Damian Marley. He strays away from the traditional chill reggae and adds an edge. Love his music. Welcome to Jamrock is his best imo

You're right about Jr Gong. He earned that nickname from his family because they felt he was the son who is most like his father.

Maybe you've heard some of Damian's newer stuff he did with Nas ? Not really reggae at all.

Reggae doesn't have to be chill. Lots of people think that. Lots of people also think that Bob is/was the only real talented reggae artist.

I'll post some of my favorites later that maybe something you haven't heard before .

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Selassie I said:
libertadrocks said:

You're right about Jr Gong. He earned that nickname from his family because they felt he was the son who is most like his father.

Maybe you've heard some of Damian's newer stuff he did with Nas ? Not really reggae at all.

Reggae doesn't have to be chill. Lots of people think that. Lots of people also think that Bob is/was the only real talented reggae artist.

I'll post some of my favorites later that maybe something you haven't heard before .

Ill be honest, I was stoked for the Jr Gong/Nas album, primarily because of their previous collab on "Road to Zion". I was really disappointed tho. Nothing special.

My favorite Damian material is of the Welcome to Jamrock album. The whole album is fantastic.

I know what you mean when you say "reggae doesn't have to be chill". The genre has really expanded in the last decade or so. A lot a traditionalist will say anything that strays to far away from Bob Marley shouldnt be considered Reggae.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah, I was disappointed with that Nas collaboration too.