Week Seven Prospect Watch and Videos

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
I like the idea of drafting a OT and G this next year. But, I also want to draft a DT (to replace Langford) and a CB.
Would prefer to move Finnigan to S to extend his career and keep his experience and leadership on the roster. He may excel there filling the role that Mikkel did before, playing close to the line, blitzing and being a sure tackler in run support.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
fearsomefour said:
I like the idea of drafting a OT and G this next year. But, I also want to draft a DT (to replace Langford) and a CB.
Would prefer to move Finnigan to S to extend his career and keep his experience and leadership on the roster. He may excel there filling the role that Mikkel did before, playing close to the line, blitzing and being a sure tackler in run support.

That's a great idea. I can't make my mind up on which way to go in the draft quite yet but if it were tomorrow, I'd be leaning towards OT, G, and CB also.

ramsaddiction

Rookie
Name
Anthony
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramhusker said:
fearsomefour said:

That's a great idea. I can't make my mind up on which way to go in the draft quite yet but if it were tomorrow, I'd be leaning towards OT, G, and CB also.

I'm fine with moving Cortland to safety next year, but if he won't take a pay cut, he deserves to be cut. He's scheduled to hit the cap at $10M next year and I don't think he'll be worth that at any position.

I'm not sure how big of a priority OT is. Albeit a small sample size, I think Barksdale has been decent. The interior OL is the biggest cause for concern for me.

It's hard to say this early, but right now my priorities would be:

1) CB (depending on what Trumaine shows throughout the rest of the season)
2) S
3) OG
4) OG
5) RB
6) DT
7) OLB

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
ramsaddiction thinking we're set at OC:
I'm fine with moving Cortland to safety next year, but if he won't take a pay cut, he deserves to be cut. He's scheduled to hit the cap at $10M next year and I don't think he'll be worth that at any position.

I'm not sure how big of a priority OT is. Albeit a small sample size, I think Barksdale has been decent. The interior OL is the biggest cause for concern for me.

It's hard to say this early, but right now my priorities would be:

1) CB (depending on what Trumaine shows throughout the rest of the season)
2) S
3) OG
4) OG
5) RB
6) DT
7) OLB

I agree with husker and fearsomefour's priorities but I wouldn't be heartbroken with yours either. I do have a question about your take on the OC position. It's not on your list so I assume you think Wells and/or Jones is the answer there. Do I have that correct? Why?

For myself, I don't like Wells plus he's old and as for Jones, who knows. Although I'm hopeful that Jones can be the answer, he hasn'r shown anything yet to make me think so.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Sure would like to see Jones play some ball! A guy with his pedigree should be getting more looks I'd like to believe! I'm just a fan, not a coach.

V3

Hall of Fame
fearsomefour said:

Why draft a DT high to replace Langford when he's playing better than Brockers?

I hate spending high picks on DT's. Just as high of a bust rate as QB and WR but with less impact.

We NEED a true shutdown CB and a true FS. We only have strong safeties. I'm not sure if Finnegan would work as a FS but you might as well try it since we're stuck with that contract. Try and get something out of it.

ramsaddiction

Rookie
Name
Anthony
[/quote]

I agree with husker and fearsomefour's priorities but I wouldn't be heartbroken with yours either. I do have a question about your take on the OC position. It's not on your list so I assume you think Wells and/or Jones is the answer there. Do I have that correct? Why?

For myself, I don't like Wells plus he's old and as for Jones, who knows. Although I'm hopeful that Jones can be the answer, he hasn'r shown anything yet to make me think so.[/quote]

I don't think Wells has been good, but he has held up well in pass protection. Part of the issue is I think this offense needs an identity. It costs a lot of high draft picks to have an OL that's great at both PB and RB. They need to decide if this offense is going to be built around the pass or the run, became great at that one thing, and then let the other feed off that greatness.

I'm not a Barrett Jones fan, but if they drafted him in the 4th, they probably think they can develop him into a starter. Because of that, I don't think they would prioritize the position in the draft.

ramsaddiction

Rookie
Name
Anthony
V3 said:
fearsomefour said:

Why draft a DT high to replace Langford when he's playing better than Brockers?

I hate spending high picks on DT's. Just as high of a bust rate as QB and WR but with less impact.

We NEED a true shutdown CB and a true FS. We only have strong safeties. I'm not sure if Finnegan would work as a FS but you might as well try it since we're stuck with that contract. Try and get something out of it.

I completely disagree that Langford has played better than Brockers. Brockers has been one of the 15-20 best DTs in the league this year. Langford should not be a starter. Brockers is double teamed every play and still gets into the backfield more often than Langford.

I don't like spending high draft picks on one-dimensional DTs (I did have DT as the 6th priority), but great interior pass rushers have just as much impact as great edge rushers, and people have no problem spending high draft picks on DEs or 3-4 rush linebackers.

I'm fine with CB if Trumaine doesn't show improvement and I definitely agree with FS.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they're stuck with Cortland's contract. He only got a $5M signing bonus, and I believe the rest of his guaranteed money was all in the first two years of his deal. That would mean he only has $3M in guaranteed money left after this season.