Week off lets Rams bask in their success, but now it's time to return to work --LA Times

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Week off lets Rams bask in their success, but now it's time to return to work

upload_2017-10-31_7-16-7.png

Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson, pursuing Adrian Peterson of the Arizona Cardinals, says there's "something special going on around here" because of the team's surprising 5-2 start. (Tim Ireland / Associated Press)

70x70

Gary KleinContact Reporter

The Rams on Monday returned to practice after spending their week off resting and enjoying the attention created by their surprisingly fast start.

Coach Sean McVay attended Game 2 of the World Series at Dodger Stadium and appeared Sunday as a guest on Fox’s NFL pregame broadcast. Some players traveled to be with family or friends. Others stayed close to home.

But the buzz surrounding the team was omnipresent.

“It’s big,” cornerback Trumaine Johnson said. “It’s something special going on around here.”

The Rams are 5-2 and in the playoff conversation going into Sunday’s game against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

It’s another trip for a team that is 4-0 away from the Coliseum, including victories at Jacksonville and against the Arizona Cardinals in London in their last two games.

“Nobody expected us to be 5-2 right now,” Johnson said, “and that’s the fun part about it: Going out there and shocking a lot of people.”

McVay did not sound concerned about the team’s ability to process the attention.

Last season, an ankle injury kept Johnson sidelined for the Rams’ 17-10 loss against the Giants in London. Jenkins had four tackles and defended three passes in the game.

Johnson was once part of a secondary that included Jenkins and safeties Rodney McLeod and T.J. McDonald, all of whom signed elsewhere as free agents.

“Wish we was all still together but at the same time we know the business side of it,” Johnson said, “and sometimes it doesn’t work out and everybody’s got to do what’s best [for themselves].”

Lance Dunbar practices

Running back Lance Dunbar, sidelined since offseason workouts because of a left knee injury, practiced for the first time, starting a 21-day clock for the Rams to determine his status.

Dunbar could be added to the roster, put on season-ending injured reserve or released.

McVay said Dunbar moved well Monday.

“What’s great about that timetable we have is it gives us a chance to evaluate him, see how he handles it,” McVay said.

Etc.

The Rams were not expected to make any major moves by Tuesday’s trade deadline. … McVay enjoyed being on the Fox set with former players and former NFL coach Jimmy Johnson. He said one of the best parts of his job was “the platform it provides to get exposure to special people like a handful of those guys that I got a chance to meet [Sunday], kind of pick their brain,” he said. … The Rams are off Tuesday. They return to practice Wednesday.

But the buzz surrounding the team was omnipresent.

“It’s big,” cornerback Trumaine Johnson said. “It’s something special going on around here.”

New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

It’s another trip for a team that is 4-0 away from the Coliseum, including victories at Jacksonville and against the Arizona Cardinals in London in their last two games.

“Nobody expected us to be 5-2 right now,” Johnson said, “and that’s the fun part about it: Going out there and shocking a lot of people.”

McVay did not sound concerned about the team’s ability to process the attention.

Janoris Jenkins become a free agent.

Jenkins signed a five-year, $62.5-million contract with the Giants, with $28.8 million guaranteed, according to spotrac.com.

Last season, an ankle injury kept Johnson sidelined for the Rams’ 17-10 loss against the Giants in London. Jenkins had four tackles and defended three passes in the game.

Johnson was once part of a secondary that included Jenkins and safeties Rodney McLeod and T.J. McDonald, all of whom signed elsewhere as free agents.

“Wish we was all still together but at the same time we know the business side of it,” Johnson said, “and sometimes it doesn’t work out and everybody’s got to do what’s best [for themselves].”

Lance Dunbar practices

Running back Lance Dunbar, sidelined since offseason workouts because of a left knee injury, practiced for the first time, starting a 21-day clock for the Rams to determine his status.

Dunbar could be added to the roster, put on season-ending injured reserve or released.

McVay said Dunbar moved well Monday.

“What’s great about that timetable we have is it gives us a chance to evaluate him, see how he handles it,” McVay said.

Etc.

The Rams were not expected to make any major moves by Tuesday’s trade deadline. … McVay enjoyed being on the Fox set with former players and former NFL coach Jimmy Johnson. He said one of the best parts of his job was “the platform it provides to get exposure to special people like a handful of those guys that I got a chance to meet [Sunday], kind of pick their brain,” he said. … The Rams are off Tuesday. They return to practice Wednesday.

gary.klein@latimes.com

Follow Gary Klein on Twitter @latimesklein

[www.latimes.com]

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
The Rams should be grounded with the new veterans leading the way. Even guys like Johnson know it's time to not take things for granted and stay focused. It's a much better mindset this year. I don't expect a flat team that we often saw in the past after a win.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't expect a flat team that we often saw in the past after a win.

I concur and the Giants have not been playing good football, there defense is still very capable, but I expect some turnovers from Manning and the gang and the Giant defense to tire in the end.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If this were the old regime I'd be much more worried about a big letdown , but I'm all in on this new coaching staff .

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
When you hear McVay speak these past few days he talks about how no one cares how you start the season, rather how your finish it. 5-2 is great, but it won't mean crap if we end up stumbling and can't make a push to get into the playoffs. At this point, we need to get into the playoffs regardless if it's as a wild card or division winner. Funny how my expectations have changed since McVay's hiring.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I concur and the Giants have not been playing good football, there defense is still very capable, but I expect some turnovers from Manning and the gang and the Giant defense to tire in the end.
I'm thinking Rams Win 42-17!

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Charlie Whitehurst isn't going to beat us this time. That trap game that sent us home and out of the playoffs still burns my ass. Spags screwed the pooch. Rams win in the Big Apple with McVay at the wheel.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Playoff teams gotta be able to pad their win total with the games they should win. They have been doing that and it's important it continues with the schedule they have ahead.

This is one of those games they should win.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If we can hit Eli early I see a blowout....Giant fighting for their lives probably keeps it close. I just noticed they were also on a bye...damnit!