Week 11 SOPR (Statistical Overall Power Rankings)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
Improving defense and turnover ratio showing up big time in the rankings! Also, notice the first five teams in the rankings. The next few weeks are going to be fun. Also also, notice the separation between #1 and #2. This is a very well rounded team we're pulling for!

Week Eleven Statistical Overall Power Rankings

32. New York Giants - 349 pts.
31. Miami Dolphins - 329 pts.
30. San Francisco 49errors - 312 pts.
29. Cincinnati Bengals - 301 pts.
28. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 299 pts.
26. Cleveland Browns - 298 pts.
26. Arizona Cardinals - 298 pts.
25. Indianapolis Colts - 297 pts.
24. Los Angeles Chargers - 281 pts.
23. New York Jets - 275 pts.
22. Chicago Bears - 265 pts.
21. Washington Redskins - 261 pts.
20. Denver Broncos - 258 pts.
19. Buffalo Bills - 257 pts.
18. Oakland Raiders - 256 pts.
17. Houston Texans - 243 pts.
16. Detroit Lions - 232 pts.
15. Green Bay Packers - 225 pts.
14. Baltimore Ravens - 221 pts.
13. Tennessee Titans - 193 pts.
12. Atlanta Falcons - 189 pts.
11. Seattle Seahawks - 182 pts.
10. Kansas City Chiefs - 180 pts.
9. New England Patriots - 179 pts.
8. Dallas Cowboys - 178 pts.
7. Pittsburgh Steelers - 166 pts.
6. Jacksonville Jaguars - 160 pts.
5. Carolina Panthers - 144 pts.
3. Philadelphia Eagles - 132 pts.
6. Minnesota Vikings - 132 pts.
2. New Orleans Saints - 126 pts.
1. Los Angeles Rams - 77 pts.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

Wow! What a shock! It is as though the Rams are in a different league.

Poor Heath Evans is going to need therapy if this gets out! (n)

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What site is this from?
I compile the numbers from the NFL website's team statistics page. I rank each team by its league standing in Total Offense, Total Defense, Kicking, Field Goals, Kick Returns, Punting, Rushing Offense, Passing Offense, Rushing Defense, Passing Defense, Scoring Offense, Scoring Defense, Turnover Ratio, and Winning Percentage. 14 categories, so the best possible score would be 14 and the worst possible score would be 448. 77 ain't bad!

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I compile the numbers from the NFL website's team statistics page. I rank each team by its league standing in Total Offense, Total Defense, Kicking, Field Goals, Kick Returns, Punting, Rushing Offense, Passing Offense, Rushing Defense, Passing Defense, Scoring Offense, Scoring Defense, Turnover Ratio, and Winning Percentage. 14 categories, so the best possible score would be 14 and the worst possible score would be 448. 77 ain't bad!
I think it is a genius metric. I just wish you would stop smoking in front of your chicken. :unsure: Although I do enjoy me some smoked chicken.(y)

Your metric seems to be more all-encompassing than most.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think it is a genius metric. I just wish you would stop smoking in front of your chicken. :unsure: Although I do enjoy me some smoked chicken.(y)

And it's way less convoluted than Dilfer's QB rating formula.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality

There's no better way to end a day than a good smoke and some quality time with a chicken. I have, however, managed to stop smoking this year! Actually achieved a New Year's resolution.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
There's no better way to end a day than a good smoke and some quality time with a chicken. I have, however, managed to stop smoking this year! Actually achieved a New Year's resolution.
So wait. If I catch you choking your chicken, should I call CPS ( Chicken Protective Services) or should I turn away? :whistle:

Congrats on stopping smoking though. That is a HUGE mountain to climb and you should be proud.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Great job @551staaa. Is there anyway you could lay out the rankings for each statistic? I’m sure our run defense brings that down a lot too.

Also, I wonder if you were to apply this system to last season, would it correlate with the top teams success? It seems foolproof to me.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Funniest thread I have read today....the chicken part

Great job on the stat ranking!

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
Great job @551staaa. Is there anyway you could lay out the rankings for each statistic? I’m sure our run defense brings that down a lot too.

Also, I wonder if you were to apply this system to last season, would it correlate with the top teams success? It seems foolproof to me.
You know, I don't know, but now I have to find out. It may take a while, but I'll run the numbers and post (for last season). I'll pull up my charts and post the Rams' rankings in the fourteen categories momentarily.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality

Rams Category Rankings Through Week Ten

Total Offense - 3
Rushing Offense - 5
Passing Offense - 6
Scoring Offense - 1
Total Defense - 14
Rushing Defense - 24
Passing Defense - 9
Scoring Defense - 3
Kicking - 1
Field Goals - 1
Kick Returns - 2
Punting - 3
Turnover Ratio - 3
Winning Percentage - 2
Total - 77

Total Defense has actually been on the rise, but the rushing defense is the main outlier. If that can be pulled up, then this is really a scary team. On a side note, whatever the organization pays John Fassel, I doubt that it's enough.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent

Adderal?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Rams Category Rankings Through Week Ten

Total Offense - 3
Rushing Offense - 5
Passing Offense - 6
Scoring Offense - 1
Total Defense - 14
Rushing Defense - 24
Passing Defense - 9
Scoring Defense - 3
Kicking - 1
Field Goals - 1
Kick Returns - 2
Punting - 3
Turnover Ratio - 3
Winning Percentage - 2
Total - 77

Total Defense has actually been on the rise, but the rushing defense is the main outlier. If that can be pulled up, then this is really a scary team. On a side note, whatever the organization pays John Fassel, I doubt that it's enough.
This is awesome thank you sir. Really puts a perspective on how well coached this team is.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I am one that actually loves metrics. Just as long as they serve a purpose and don't use averages as a basis. In any metrics based system, all items are equal yet they are all different.

I love what you did here but I question the weight rating on special teams. Should those be of the same value as any of the rushing O or D? Am I making my self clear? We all know the benefit of our two kickers but has our punting been that good? We haven't really punted all that much so our base is smaller (quantity) in relations to yards/inside the 20/touch-backs. So being number 3 in punting, does that equate to being number 3 in scoring defense, total offense and turnover ratio?

I guess if I had to chose, I would prefer being number 3 in scoring defense over being number 3 in punting. See what I mean? Scoring defense is so much more sexy than punting.

Now don't no one go bash me over this. I'm seriously looking for some clarification and @551staaa is doing a wonderful job with this. I think I'm just trying to challenge him to see if he can create a "strength of rating" system for each of these categories. Of course if he does accomplish that, then others may say it's a made up stat just like ESPN QBR. But all stats are made up, it just depends on the agenda that is being driven. I could give you examples from my line of work that relies very heavily on metrics and the argument for and against each metric, but I think I would just be boring you all.

Thanks for your time...

Vet

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
I am one that actually loves metrics. Just as long as they serve a purpose and don't use averages as a basis. In any metrics based system, all items are equal yet they are all different.

I love what you did here but I question the weight rating on special teams. Should those be of the same value as any of the rushing O or D? Am I making my self clear? We all know the benefit of our two kickers but has our punting been that good? We haven't really punted all that much so our base is smaller (quantity) in relations to yards/inside the 20/touch-backs. So being number 3 in punting, does that equate to being number 3 in scoring defense, total offense and turnover ratio?

I guess if I had to chose, I would prefer being number 3 in scoring defense over being number 3 in punting. See what I mean? Scoring defense is so much more sexy than punting.

Now don't no one go bash me over this. I'm seriously looking for some clarification and @551staaa is doing a wonderful job with this. I think I'm just trying to challenge him to see if he can create a "strength of rating" system for each of these categories. Of course if he does accomplish that, then others may say it's a made up stat just like ESPN QBR. But all stats are made up, it just depends on the agenda that is being driven. I could give you examples from my line of work that relies very heavily on metrics and the argument for and against each metric, but I think I would just be boring you all.

Thanks for your time...

Vet

I understand exactly what you're saying and struggled with whether or not to give each category different weight. I was wary of doing that because then the weighting system itself becomes subjective to which categories I think are more important. There would be as many points of view for the best method as people looking at the stats. That being the case, every category counting as one serves my original intent of determining the overall "health" of the team based on how they compare to other teams. I was quite surprised to see their overall strength. Plus, after watching the Jacksonville game, I'll never question the importance of strong special teams again.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I understand exactly what you're saying and struggled with whether or not to give each category different weight. I was wary of doing that because then the weighting system itself becomes subjective to which categories I think are more important. There would be as many points of view for the best method as people looking at the stats. That being the case, every category counting as one serves my original intent of determining the overall "health" of the team based on how they compare to other teams. I was quite surprised to see their overall strength. Plus, after watching the Jacksonville game, I'll never question the importance of strong special teams again.

Excellent response and I had thoughts along the same line as to the subjectivity of the weighting.

Keep up the good work, I'll buy into it!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Improving defense and turnover ratio showing up big time in the rankings! Also, notice the first five teams in the rankings. The next few weeks are going to be fun. Also also, notice the separation between #1 and #2. This is a very well rounded team we're pulling for!

Week Eleven Statistical Overall Power Rankings

32. New York Giants - 349 pts.
31. Miami Dolphins - 329 pts.
30. San Francisco 49errors - 312 pts.
29. Cincinnati Bengals - 301 pts.
28. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 299 pts.
26. Cleveland Browns - 298 pts.
26. Arizona Cardinals - 298 pts.
25. Indianapolis Colts - 297 pts.
24. Los Angeles Chargers - 281 pts.
23. New York Jets - 275 pts.
22. Chicago Bears - 265 pts.
21. Washington Redskins - 261 pts.
20. Denver Broncos - 258 pts.
19. Buffalo Bills - 257 pts.
18. Oakland Raiders - 256 pts.
17. Houston Texans - 243 pts.
16. Detroit Lions - 232 pts.
15. Green Bay Packers - 225 pts.
14. Baltimore Ravens - 221 pts.
13. Tennessee Titans - 193 pts.
12. Atlanta Falcons - 189 pts.

View: http://twitter.com/Mackeyser/status/931598523241521152

Had to brag on you a bit because this work is fantastic!

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality

Okay, so here are the final regular season SOPR rankings for 2016. (Playoff teams in bold) There are some outliers in the playoffs, but a lot of it is the result of the divisional system in place.

32. Cleveland - 373
31. San Francisco - 364
30. Chicago - 309
29. N. Y. Jets - 281
28. Los Angeles - 278
27. Jacksonville - 273
26. San Diego - 264
25. Buffalo - 262
24. Tampa Bay - 253
23. Carolina - 248
22. Tennessee - 247
20. New Orleans - 245