Wednesday Camp Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
This sadly will be my last update for the week. I have to go back to work tomorrow. But I am going to be there on Monday and Tuesday next week.

Today was originally announced as being in full pads but they came out in shorts, shoulder pads and helmets. I add that there have been no significant injuries so far in camp. The young wide receiver from Lindenwood Andy Helmick is out for two weeks with a hamstring pull. Nick Johnson was also out today with a hamstring of unknown severity.

I have seen Daniels, Cudjo and Kendricks on the sideline watching practice. But only Daniels has been actively working out with the trainers.

QB-I did not watch a lot of the red zone, or 7 on 7 drills with the first units. I spent most of that time watching the linemen on the other end going at it.

Austin Davis did throw a really bad pick to Josh Hull in the red zone early on and his reps suffered after that. He had been taking most of the second unit snaps and today he hardly got any in 11 on 11. Harkey was open to the end zone and he underthrew it badly and Hull had an easy pick. Did that have anything to do with the reduction in his reps I doubt but Clemens got the bulk of it.

Sam looked good on some roll outs today, he is much more comfortable rollling out to his right, would like to see them make him roll to his left some to avoid tipping to the defense.

They spent quite a bit of time working on just one look on 11 on 11. Sam sets up and they flood one side. He looks twice that way and then comes back to a back on a circle route in the middle of the field. They must have run that play or variations off of it about 12 times in a row.

He has been really good at pump fakes and faking more with his body this camp than before. He beat Jenkins to Quick badly on one play where he not only pumped but moved his body from left to right and really sold it. Sadly Jenkins bit hard and was nowhere close to Quick when he let it go. That is too close to issues from last year.

Clemens for the first time that I have been watching him stayed with most of the plays today and didn't bail out.

RB-Pead looked really good on some screens in 11 on 11. If he can learn to block better than could be his role.

Stacy had the best day of what I saw for the backs. He took a toss sweep to the edge very quickly and showed along with the power some burst.

WR/TE-Quick had his moment with the play against Jenkins but later on I could hear Clemens call out "kill, kill" and change the play at the line. Clemens threw a back shoulder fade but Quick didn't break it off and ran his original route.

There was some more confusion where it appeared that Bradford called a play at the line of scrimmage and Austin had to come over to him twice to get lined up correctly. Austin did however run the route and catch the pass after all that.

I thought Stedman Bailey looked the best of all the receivers. He beat McLeod badly to the corner early on and had several other really good catches.

Oline/Dline-I spent more time today watching these guys than other grouping.

Jake Long clearly learned some of Quinn's tendencies because he stoned him today. One rep in particular he showed a text book set and swung out to get to Quinn who went wide and had perfect balance, punched out just like its taught and completely stymied Quinn.

Wells had on sequence where he went three in a row (they don't usually go more than two) and won all three.

Chris Williams probably had the best rep vs. Brockers I have seen all camp, did a really nice job twice in a row.

Harvey Dahl won all of his battles.

I say that about the first string now because they got their asses handed to them for most of the 11 on 11 today. Why they did so well earlier and struggled later is a mystery.

Conrath who got into a fight with Chris Williams later on had a great arm over and shot through a gap untouched. Sims and Hayes gave the second stringers fits all day long. At one point they let the first string have it with the second and third stringers and it was about as awful as you can imagine.

Barksdale and Nysehke got ate up during most of it but for some reason when they moved Ty to the left side (he took reps at LT, RT and guard) he did fine.

Jake Long against the second string was a TKO stopped for cuts in the first round battle.

Linebackers-I did see Ogletree make a couple of really good plays in pass defense. His drop is really deep, flashes his athleticism and can stay with Cook.

During the early unit drills they hit the sled and Ray Ray fanned and missed the drill twice in about a five minute interval, had to go back and do it again as did Ogletree once.

DBacks-Jenkins has been doing his peek into the backfield, blow coverage on double moves again pretty much all camp. There was an article about Aeneas Williams acting as a mentor for him. Wouldn't mind to see him shadow him in camp.

I thought the play of the day was McDonald undercutting a pass to Cook early on in 11 on 11 and picking Sam off. He is playing lower and doesn't look as stiff as he did in college.

A couple of undrafted guys that stood out in drills today were Robert Steeples out of Memphis who has a really good hip flip out his back pedal and linebacker Jonathan Stewart.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
wow great read thank you for sharing. You mind if i post this up on our facebook page?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
jimitroutboy said:
No not at all
all posted up thanx man
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/RamsONDEMAND/373878719321967" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.facebook.com/pages/RamsONDE ... 8719321967</a>

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Good stuff thanks for sharing. You and CoachO painting a pretty picture for us not there.

jap

Legend
Nice work, sir!

If 'Tree can stay with Jared, he can stay with just about any TE in this league not named Vernon Davis---he may be able to hang with VD too, but we shall see that soon enough. :ww:

I wonder if the early declaration that he was the #2 QB is unnerving young Austin Davis and, conversely, re-invigorating Kellen Clemons? I guess Kellen isn't ready to give up on that sizable (to most) NFL check yet. :twisted:

Our resident jackrabbit is learning that Sam the Ram is catching up to the NFL Rogers' and Brady's. He better learn to play honest against the more savvy QB's or at least ensure he has helping back coverage before he gets eaten alive. :oops:

If The Mighty Quinn can at least provide solid competition to a healthy, in-form Jake Long, he will be a beast on fire against most NFL LT's. On the other side, if Chris Williams is giving Big Bad Brockers consistent trouble, we may have an early clue as to who the starting LG will be.

The Fisher King knows and understands TJ's pedigree.

Hopefully, Marshall can drop by and give our backs tips on what to look for in pass blocking as well as technique tips.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Excellent report as always, jimitroutboy. Thank you (and CoachO) for the exceptional write ups... it's almost like being there!

nighttrain

Legend
Username said:
Good stuff thanks for sharing. You and CoachO painting a pretty picture for us not there.
:plus1: both you guys are doing a marvelous job of keeping us that cant be there informed, Kudos
and thanks very much
train

good stuff, thanks bro! also, you are a must follow on twitter as well. great work and thanks again!

@jimiramsboy

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
jimitroutboy said:
Great Job Thanks!
Jake Long clearly learned some of Quinn's tendencies because he stoned him today. One rep in particular he showed a text book set and swung out to get to Quinn who went wide and had perfect balance, punched out just like its taught and completely stymied Quinn.
I would be highly upset if Jake could not of got all those tendencies down by now. Quick only has one or two tricks tendencies to display.

Wells had on sequence where he went three in a row (they don't usually go more than two) and won all three.
Real glad to hear something positive attached to Scott Wells finally.

Chris Williams probably had the best rep vs. Brockers I have seen all camp, did a really nice job twice in a row.
CW (6-6 320)is just about Brockers (6-5 322) size unlike the small version of Shelley (6-4 299). I sure hope that this 2013 Ran OL finds a long term answer to the OLG post! The list of the Rams past starters @ OLG the last 6 years is just unbelievable. Robert Turner, Quinn Ojinnaka, Shelley Smith in 2012. Jacob Bell & Jason Brown 2011 & 10. Roger Allen, Richie Incognito & Jacob Bell in 2009. Adam Goldberg, John Greco & Jacob Bell in 2008. Milford Brown, A.Goldberg,Incognito & Claude Terrell in 2007.You could add another 5 or six names to the list who just filled in @ OLG after the starters were hurt.

Harvey Dahl won all of his battles.
I would say its very nice to have Harvey & his nasty Tude back in place again!

I say that about the first string now because they got their asses handed to them for most of the 11 on 11 today. Why they did so well earlier and struggled later is a mystery.
Just takes time to jell an OL when you have so many newly inserted pieces in new OL.positions

Conrath who got into a fight with Chris Williams later on had a great arm over and shot through a gap untouched. Sims and Hayes gave the second stringers fits all day long.
Sims & Hayes both on a regular basis in 2012 regular season games give fits to most starting NFL OL's! Its still very early but I seem to be getting some answers I had last yr on why the 6-7 290 pound 2012 rookie Conrath was stashed on the 53 player roster all last season....he seems to be catching must observers eyes in TC. Cudjo better get himself healthy cuz Fisher like those tall DT's

Barksdale and Nysehke got ate up during most of it but for some reason when they moved Ty to the left side (he took reps at LT, RT and guard) he did fine.
Ty Nsekhe has always been a left side guy from the few places he has played. So he should have done better @ OLT & OLG. Here's my area of most concern....the Third OT. This area looks to be or Achilles heel in the OL this season

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Very cool getting these reports. Thank you much.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks jimi. Excellent observations as per usual.