Weddle just gets it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Weddle and Matthews were great addditions to this team. They are both very talented players but also provide great leadership.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wanted him bad in the draft...Shows how old we all are....lol

Whaddya mean old?

600-01716120en_Masterfile.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Weddle and Matthews were great addditions to this team. They are both very talented players but also provide great leadership.

No doubt. And re: Weddle don't be surprised if he moves right onto our staff when he's done with us. He strikes me as a coach type in his mentality and I have to think Wade and company will recognize that and maybe offer him a gig when he hangs em up.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/21/rams-eric-weddle-john-johnson-otas-push-next-level/

gettyimages-1038619930.jpg

Eric Weddle ready to push John Johnson 'to that next level'
By: Cameron DaSilva | May 21, 2019 9:58 am ET

The Los Angeles Rams signed Eric Weddle to fill the inevitable void left by Lamarcus Joyner in free agency, pegging him as a Day 1 starter in the secondary. He was also brought to L.A. for another reason: to help mentor the young DBs.

Weddle is as experienced and talented as they come at safety, boasting 12 years of NFL experience with six Pro Bowl bids, five playoff appearances and two All-Pro selections. He’ll undoubtedly be a quality player in the secondary, but he’s also a leader and someone who can help develop his running mate, John Johnson III, into a Pro Bowler like himself.

Weddle welcomes the chance to help Johnson every step of the way, hoping to take his game to the next level.

“J.J., a budding star, it’s just great opportunity for me to not only play alongside him, but to help and to learn things from him, as well,” Weddle said of Johnson.

He was then asked by a reporter what his impressions of Johnson have been so far, and somewhat surprisingly, Weddle said he’s quiet.

“He’s just quiet, he works hard, super talented and he’s pushing himself. I’m here to push him to that next level,” Weddle said. “He’s got a chance to be an exceptional safety for a long time and I can see it in him, and he’s gotta get there. And I’m gonna push him every day, that’s for sure. And just a good dude.”

Weddle has been one of the best safeties in the league for a long time, going back to his days with the Chargers. He knows what it takes to be great in the NFL and he’s going to make sure Johnson fully understands that, too.

Weddle is going to push the third-year safety physically and mentally, challenging him in the weight room and after practices.

“I know how strong he is. If we’re in the weight room, I’ll tell him, ‘Hey, you need to add some more weight.’ Or push him in those instances, or make him stay later with me and do some extra work,” Weddle continued. “Just little things like that. It’ll all carry over and all mean something at the end of the day. The work you put in will carry over. We sit by each other in meetings and film study and he’s a great one.”

https://www.therams.com/news/10-observations-from-ota-no-2

7) At one point during the 7-on-7 work when the reserves went in, safety Eric Weddle was behind the offense chatting with third-year tight end Gerald Everett. The veteran safety, headed into his 13th year in the league, had recently been covering the third-year tight end in 7-on-7, and may have had some tips of the trade to share.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's not only the DB's that Weddle will help, but those he has to cover also, like Everrett. You can't quantify what a guy like Weddle brings. A coach on the field with a ton of experience on the ins and outs of defense. Weddle might not be the athlete Joyner is, but he sure is smarter and won't be caught out of position like Joyner, or be faked out and fooled like Joyner. Same goes for adding Mathews, young LB's will learn a lot from him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's not only the DB's that Weddle will help, but those he has to cover also, like Everrett. You can't quantify what a guy like Weddle brings. A coach on the field with a ton of experience on the ins and outs of defense. Weddle might not be the athlete Joyner is, but he sure is smarter and won't be caught out of position like Joyner, or be faked out and fooled like Joyner. Same goes for adding Mathews, young LB's will learn a lot from him.

Yeah even though I don't think Weddle is the rangy deep middle type that I wanted us to get, we basically eliminated the bonehead decisions Joyner brought. There will be a lot more consistency on the coverage side, and maybe in this year's NFC Championship our safety will be in position to intercept the ball instead of allowing a BS completion that almost cost us the game.

His intelligence might well overcome his age and range particularly under a guy like Wade who adjusts through his players vs personnel packages. Really excited to see this secondary settle in.

Ram65

Legend
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/21/rams-eric-weddle-john-johnson-otas-push-next-level/

7) At one point during the 7-on-7 work when the reserves went in, safety Eric Weddle was behind the offense chatting with third-year tight end Gerald Everett. The veteran safety, headed into his 13th year in the league, had recently been covering the third-year tight end in 7-on-7, and may have had some tips of the trade to share.

Hope Weddle can get Everett to run better routes. Sink his hips on fakes and be sharper on cuts. If he can, that alone will be a great help to the Rams.

Of course he will do more. Sounds like a really hard worker. Rams seem to have a lot of them these days. Communication on the back has to be improved with Weddle. Looking forward to the secondary getting tighter and much better.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think we will look back at this signing as one of those that have a bigger impact than first thought.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Well he better get with the program when wade or mcvay asks him something regarding their ravens game this year.

I just saw a video on NFL network where he tweets that he wont betray his ravens buds by telling any sheme or tenancy secrets. I understand they're your friends but that's some bullllshit.

They aint paying you. They arent your current team. If mcvay wants some info he better answer to the best of his ability. Part of why he's here is his knowledge, which includes what he knows about the ravens and the chargers.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Weddle is covering his azz publicly, but you can bet he'll be spilling his guts in the film room privately.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've always liked Weddle. Wade's defense is a good fit for him. It's basically the same one he played in with the Chargers and Ravens.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Weddle will do for the Rams in 19 and 20 what Aeneas Williams did for us at the end of his career. Rare character has exponential influence. Great defenses in this day and age require winning the chess match of positioning well so that the offense can’t get an easy read on the defense. This, Weddle has down in spades.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter