Webster looks to earn starting role

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Sticking-With-Phillips-Webster-Looking-to-Earn-Starting-Role/271a12f2-4ef8-46e7-a239-730e5d646c56

New Rams cornerback Kayvon Webster has mainly been a special teams player for Denver in his first four years in the NFL. And while he won Super Bowl 50 with the Broncos, Webster has long felt that he can be more than just a role player.

And so when he decided to sign with the Rams, the first call he made was to his mother.

“She just knows what I’ve been through,” Webster said in a recent interview with therams.com. “She knows the type of player I’ve been throughout my career. Not that I want to say in the NFL [Not just in the NFL], but just playing football. She knows that I’m a hard worker. I take it very seriously. And I pride myself in being known as one of the top ones.”

Someone with a dynamic and engaging personality, Webster talked of wanting to become a star for the Rams. He said he knew about the talent already assembled on the club’s defense, particularly that of starting cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

But defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ presence on the coaching staff was perhaps the most significant factor in bringing Webster to Los Angeles.

“My coach came from Denver. He expressed the want that the Rams had for me,” Webster said, referring to Phillips. “And I took that into consideration, stepped out on faith, and I’m ready to come in and compete for a starting job.”

Video: The Route Home: Robert Woods

“He’s a legend in itself,” Webster continued on Phillips. “His dad was a great. He’s a great. And he accommodates the players’ attributes — what they do best.”

Though his on-field contributions mainly came through special teams, Webster says he still picked up plenty from being in the position room with some of the league’s best cornerbacks like Champ Bailey, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Aquib Talib, and Chris Harris — particularly how they approach the game.

“They study. They communicate with their guys. They just have fun playing the game,” Webster said. “I’m thankful that I was under them. But it’s time for me to take a new step and welcome a new era.”

But the enjoyment of playing football is ingrained in Webster for good.

“Can’t play this game if you’re not having fun,” Webster said. “It’s going to suck the life out of you. It’s going to make you retire early. And this is the game I’ve been playing since I was six. I’m fortunate enough to be able to get paid to do it. And I love it.”

While the Rams’ offseason program does not begin for another few weeks, Webster said he could feel a sense of urgency among the staff to develop a winning program during his visit.

“I think that’s why they brought me in, Webster said. “This is our second year out here. It’s time to turn it up a notch. I think we went 4-12 last year — definitely got to have a great turnaround. So that’s why they made some upgrades.

“They brought in coach Wade. Coach Wade brought Thad [Bogardus, defensive quality control coach] from Denver with him as well. And he brought me in as well, too. So we see a change already with three people coming in from the same organization,” Webster added. “So you can see that everybody’s serious about winning.”

That’s why Webster said he’s “super excited” to be a Ram.

“I’m here to prove everybody that believes in me right,” Webster said. “I’m ready to work.”

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Sticking-With-Phillips-Webster-Looking-to-Earn-Starting-Role/271a12f2-4ef8-46e7-a239-730e5d646c56

New Rams cornerback Kayvon Webster has mainly been a special teams player for Denver in his first four years in the NFL. And while he won Super Bowl 50 with the Broncos, Webster has long felt that he can be more than just a role player.

And so when he decided to sign with the Rams, the first call he made was to his mother.

“She just knows what I’ve been through,” Webster said in a recent interview with therams.com. “She knows the type of player I’ve been throughout my career. Not that I want to say in the NFL [Not just in the NFL], but just playing football. She knows that I’m a hard worker. I take it very seriously. And I pride myself in being known as one of the top ones.”

Someone with a dynamic and engaging personality, Webster talked of wanting to become a star for the Rams. He said he knew about the talent already assembled on the club’s defense, particularly that of starting cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

But defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ presence on the coaching staff was perhaps the most significant factor in bringing Webster to Los Angeles.

“My coach came from Denver. He expressed the want that the Rams had for me,” Webster said, referring to Phillips. “And I took that into consideration, stepped out on faith, and I’m ready to come in and compete for a starting job.”

Video: The Route Home: Robert Woods

“He’s a legend in itself,” Webster continued on Phillips. “His dad was a great. He’s a great. And he accommodates the players’ attributes — what they do best.”

Though his on-field contributions mainly came through special teams, Webster says he still picked up plenty from being in the position room with some of the league’s best cornerbacks like Champ Bailey, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Aquib Talib, and Chris Harris — particularly how they approach the game.

“They study. They communicate with their guys. They just have fun playing the game,” Webster said. “I’m thankful that I was under them. But it’s time for me to take a new step and welcome a new era.”

But the enjoyment of playing football is ingrained in Webster for good.

“Can’t play this game if you’re not having fun,” Webster said. “It’s going to suck the life out of you. It’s going to make you retire early. And this is the game I’ve been playing since I was six. I’m fortunate enough to be able to get paid to do it. And I love it.”

While the Rams’ offseason program does not begin for another few weeks, Webster said he could feel a sense of urgency among the staff to develop a winning program during his visit.

“I think that’s why they brought me in, Webster said. “This is our second year out here. It’s time to turn it up a notch. I think we went 4-12 last year — definitely got to have a great turnaround. So that’s why they made some upgrades.

“They brought in coach Wade. Coach Wade brought Thad [Bogardus, defensive quality control coach] from Denver with him as well. And he brought me in as well, too. So we see a change already with three people coming in from the same organization,” Webster added. “So you can see that everybody’s serious about winning.”

That’s why Webster said he’s “super excited” to be a Ram.

“I’m here to prove everybody that believes in me right,” Webster said. “I’m ready to work.”

Good post! Thanks for sharing, /cgi-bin

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I think this guy is going to turn into a steal of a signing. Not only do I think he'll work his way into starting outside - I think there is a good shot for him to cement a starting side and be seen as a leader of the secondary.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hope he does work his way into a starting role. The more starting corners we have, the better.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Speaking of DBs, wonder if the Rams sign TJ on the relative cheap if nobody else pays him...I haven't heard his name in so long, I kind of forgot he was still out of work...I just wonder if the Rams aren't interested in him at all, or just not for any kind of large dollars..

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm looking forward to seeing what this kid brings. He has the background with Phillip's system and should have a leg up on others so I expect to hear good things about him early. Some of the highlights I've seen make me think he's more than capable and should be an integral part of this defense, this year and for years to come.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Speaking of DBs, wonder if the Rams sign TJ on the relative cheap if nobody else pays him...I haven't heard his name in so long, I kind of forgot he was still out of work...I just wonder if the Rams aren't interested in him at all, or just not for any kind of large dollars..
TJ pleaded guilty to the DUI. He most likely has a suspension coming to him. He won't get signed until it's figured out.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I say he is number 2 on the depth chart right now. Gaines had a pretty bad year last season but can give good depth . Tru and Webster on the outsides, Joyner at nickel sounds very nice .

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I say he is number 2 on the depth chart right now. Gaines had a pretty bad year last season but can give good depth . Tru and Webster on the outsides, Joyner at nickel sounds very nice .
Don't forget ... Troy Hill and Mike Jordan showed a few splashes of promise last year too. Another year under their belts and great coaching can go a long ways to already improving our depth.