Wear a different hat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Part Deux.

So you're Mike Smith, and you have the daunting task of game planning against the Rams who just bitch slapped the Cardinals, while your team couldn't get it done against the Saints D. What oh what do you do? How do you attack the Rams' D, and what do you do to shut down their offense?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
His two biggest concerns are going to be ...

1) Double The Cookie Monster

2) Provide help to their LT... Quinn can't be blocked 1 on 1

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I would probably go deep early and try to get on top fast. If they can get ahead early, they have a chance to keep us off balance. I would also try to confuse our young receiver corp and double Cook.

I actually think we have a very good chance to win this game and expect the Rams to come out of ATL with a W.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I'm testing the zone coverage early and often if I'm the Falcons, and I'll leave an extra blocker in to give Ryan some time. Defensively, I'm going to make the Rams earn every yard by taking away Cook and playing deep cover 2. I'd also try some hurry up once the Rams get into nickel coverage and hand the ball off.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Cook and Quinn are the two obvious concerns for the Falcons.

Which is good... we'll throw some Givens and Austin at them... and introduce them to the rest of our D-Line. :sly:

RamzFanz

Damnit
RamFan503 said:
I would probably go deep early and try to get on top fast.

Me, I usually try to get on top fast THEN go deep early.

It's probably just me.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Setup play action with Jackson. Then when the first safety hints at sniffing the box, go over the top to JJ. Run 3 wide receiver set, double team Quinn.

Defense, double cover or 1.5 cover ( heavy shade) Cook. Force them to run the ball until they've proven they can effectively. Too much speed to stack up in box against it. Will keep the offense off the field, but you're at home, and it will avoid the big play. Then when/if they get in the redzone play whatever you want now that the speed is not as big of a threat, especially/obviously not over the top at least.

Cry when the Rams beat me and I'm put on the hot seat.

had

Rookie
If I'm trying to defend the Rams, I stack the box, take the run away, and hit Bradford, try to shake him up. Press the Rams receivers, hit them at the LOS, and just get super physical, with the thought that this young team could be intimidated/made skittish. But I'm not accounting for potential horrendous mismatches that 8 in the box might bring. But I'd still take the run away and then put Bradford down. Or die trying.

If I'm trying to score against the Rams, I'm running at Quinn, running at Quinn, running at Quinn. And I'd be throwing at Finnegan on quick slants. And I'd find Gonzalez against any of our LBs.

That's all I got

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
ATL Defense- You can't sit back and wait, Cook proved that. Make the Rams prove that they can handle pressure.

Offensively- You gotta spread the ball out to limit the pass rush. The OL is soft, STL DL is strong up the middle, and Jackson cant make holes and run through them too. This game will be decided on two things. Can the Rams cover the ATL's passing threats and can how can ATL how well can the protection hold up. Rams shut down ARZ for much of the second half once they packed in their coverage and started blitzing. With ATL not having all their core guys healthy, this is a big cause for concern. If ATL can pass, then they can run. Finding running lanes will be difficult until they give us reason to call the dogs off a bit.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
RamzFanz said:
RamFan503 said:

It's probably just me.
Just remember to finish - the game is 60minutes.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Stranger said:
RamzFanz said:
RamFan503 said:

It's probably just me.
Just remember to finish - the game is 60minutes.

Nah. 5 minutes and I'm ready for a smoke.

Pho Kadat

Rookie
had said:
If I'm trying to defend the Rams, I stack the box, take the run away, and hit Bradford, try to shake him up. Press the Rams receivers, hit them at the LOS, and just get super physical, with the thought that this young team could be intimidated/made skittish. But I'm not accounting for potential horrendous mismatches that 8 in the box might bring. But I'd still take the run away and then put Bradford down. Or die trying.

See, I'd take the near opposite approach. I'd force the Rams to try and beat me with the running game. I'd definitely mix in some blitzes, but I'd make sure those middle passing lanes are covered. Although I'd still keep my best corner on Givens, Cook is really the guy that worries me. I've got a linebacker or a safety on him all game when he's plays inside, and treat him like a big receiver when he splits out wide.

On offense, I exploit the middle of the field all day long. Considering how far back the safeties were playing in week one, I've gotta like my chances with Gonzalez. I also try to catch the Rams over-pursuing with screen and traps. I pound it with SJ too. If the McSafeties continue playing 20 yards off the ball, the Beast will have a big day.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
On offense:
I'm spreading our D out with 4WR's and forcing our front four to get pressure PLUS cover. Use no huddle on occasion and neutralize our DLine rotations. Attack Ogletree with Gonzales.

Use SJ on screens and play action.

On defense:
Get physical with Tavon and DRich. Give Sam alot of different looks in coverage including delayed blitzes and corner blitzes to his blind side.
Force Sam to make make quick decisions.
Keep Givens in check and dont get beat deep.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
mojorizen7 said:
On offense:
I'm spreading our D out with 4WR's and forcing our front four to get pressure PLUS cover. Use no huddle on occasion and neutralize our DLine rotations. Attack Ogletree with Gonzales.

Use SJ on screens and play action.

On defense:
Get physical with Tavon and DRich. Give Sam alot of different looks in coverage including delayed blitzes and corner blitzes to his blind side.
Force Sam to make make quick decisions.
Keep Givens in check and dont get beat deep.
Yeesh. I don't feel real good about this game anymore. :whome?:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pay Lamar Odom to visit the Rams Hotel the night before the game and see what happens.
Seriously, Rams are going to be tough regardless of the game plan. Stop Cook first and see if the other guys step up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I were running the Falcons offense, I would:
A) Consistently have someone chip Robert Quinn
B) Try to establish a run game with SJ...run a lot of zone and stretch plays as well as some dives at Kendall Langford
C) Utilize play-action passing and attack Alec Ogletree
D) Throw underneath our coverage with a lot of drags, rub route combinations, slants, speed outs and hitches
E) Take a couple shots with sluggos or an out-n-up or a hitch-n-go against Trumaine or Janoris
F) While attacking short, also utilize dig routes about 12 to 15 yards down the field if we start to drop into zones with a guy like Julio Jones
G) Try to give Holmes some help with Long if Long starts to eat him up

If I were running the Falcons defense:
A) Utilize hi-lo coverage on Cook and don't allow him to use his speed on deep crosses
B) Use a lot of confusing looks and zones to try and get in Sam's head
C) A and B gap blitzes...our interior was very inconsistent at picking them up last game
D) Gap integrity to stop D-Rich
E) Off coverage on Givens
F) Make a point of making my DL get their hands into the passing lanes
G) Put my most athletic defensive back on Tavon

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Offensively
-Have to keep an extra blocker in on Quinn and hope that Long is not able to play well due to injury
-Use Gonzales to attack the rookie Ogletree and the safeties
-try to spread out the defense in order to pound the ball with SJax
-Continue using the deep threats White and Jones as decoys since they are both hurt

Defensively
-Double Chris Givens, seemed to work against Arizona
-Blitz from all angles and see if the young receivers make the proper adjustments
-Keep a spy on Austin
-Use a LB and a safety to cover Cook
-Try to take away the passing game and see if they can run the ball with their RB

fearsomefour

Legend
"Everyone has a plan, until they get hit." Mike Tyson

This applies to both teams. Its all about adjustments.