We won't make the playoffs if...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Last night was a marked improvement over our past preseason performances. It actually has increased my optimism for the upcoming season. Also our schedule doesn't look that touch. In year 4 of the program this team absolutely should and needs to be in playoff contention. I have three big areas that need to be fixed or else we won't.

1) Offensive line/Run game:
For a team that wants to pound the rock the offense has done a poor job opening holes so far in the preseason. The line has also has struggled in protection. To me Foles is Carson Palmer. A guy with great tools, but will throw some ugly interceptions at times. A QB you can definitely win with however. We have an awesome stable of RBs to run the ball with. Our receiving corps may be below average, but they are good enough not to cost us. If this offensive line can't get it together the offense is screwed.

2) Penalties:
I know this is a young team, but eventually this crap has got to stop. We put ourselves in bad situations with these penalties and we aren't dynamic enough to overcome them. I know Seattle was number one in penalties, but our defense hasn't played as well as theirs to overcome those penalties. Our offense isn't good enough to be giving away as many yards as we have due to penalties. This has to stop.

3) Blown Coverages:
Our defense can be kicking butt, then all the sudden we leave a guy wide open for a long easy TD. It seems to happen on an every game occurrence. These DBs have too much game experience to be blowing coverage all the time. I really like the talent in our DB group. It would be even better with Gaines. For all the talent we have, for some reason we constantly blow coverage.

We need to get these three major issues cleaned up, or it will be yet another losing season.

V3

Hall of Fame
If the O-line continues to play like they have, forget everything else. Foles won't survive the season and our RBs won't have a chance to do much. I'm extremely worried about GRob.

…..

Legend
There was a lot of subs last night. I wouldnt get too carried away with worry just yet.

We'll get TE help for the line until they can perform without thye extra blocker....but I'll concede that missing Gaines is going to be huge.

The touchdown play to Givens wasnt just a pretty pass.....the whole play was well executed by everyone and the formation was very original and caught them off guard. If we have more stuff like that in the playbook we can mask some of the issues on the line.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great thread @FRO and a few observations from another poster and they echo my sentiments to a T :

RT Rob Havenstein can be soundly beaten on speed rushes. And you don't have to have a Robert Quinn-like DE to do it either. I think that Havenstein knowswhat to do out there, but I don't think that his feet will cooperate. He's gonna need TE help or chips from the RB in order to keep Foles upright.

Even more disturbing, though, is LT Greg Robinson's play. Despite this being his 2nd year, I think that he's confused and is thinking waaaay too much out there. And while he's doing all of this thinking, the DE is typically beating him one way or another. First play from scrimmage and the DE muscles by him to stuff a run to the left side (I thought run-blocking was his best attribute?). And then, on the second play, the DE goes right by him with speed to put the rush on Foles. Thankfully Brown was there to cover his arse.

Considering the above-two observations, I think that the Rams should seriously consider moving Saffold to RT upon his return. And I think that, come training camp 2016 (if not before) Battle might force Robinson inside.

Once again, the D-line started awfully slow as the Colts were able to have good success running the ball early. Not sure if it was planned or not, but the 2nd DL unit came in on the 2nd series. When the starters returned on the 3rd, they definitely played with a lot more motivation leading me to believe they received a "talking to" on the sidelines.

Still having breakdowns in the secondary that leads to big plays.

Whether it be the penalties, missed assignments, or general lack of focus, it's clear that the Rams simply are not a well-coached team.

lockdnram21

Legend
Last night was a marked improvement over our past preseason performances. It actually has increased my optimism for the upcoming season. Also our schedule doesn't look that touch. In year 4 of the program this team absolutely should and needs to be in playoff contention. I have three big areas that need to be fixed or else we won't.

For a team that wants to pound the rock the offense has done a poor job opening holes so far in the preseason. The line has also has struggled in protection. To me Foles is Carson Palmer. A guy with great tools, but will throw some ugly interceptions at times. A QB you can definitely win with however. We have an awesome stable of RBs to run the ball with. Our receiving corps may be below average, but they are good enough not to cost us. If this offensive line can't get it together the offense is screwed.

2) Penalties:
I know this is a young team, but eventually this crap has got to stop. We put ourselves in bad situations with these penalties and we aren't dynamic enough to overcome them. I know Seattle was number one in penalties, but our defense hasn't played as well as theirs to overcome those penalties. Our offense isn't good enough to be giving away as many yards as we have due to penalties. This has to stop.

3) Blown Coverages:
Our defense can be kicking butt, then all the sudden we leave a guy wide open for a long easy TD. It seems to happen on an every game occurrence. These DBs have too much game experience to be blowing coverage all the time. I really like the talent in our DB group. It would be even better with Gaines. For all the talent we have, for some reason we constantly blow coverage.

We need to get these three major issues cleaned up, or it will be yet another losing season.
I'm not worried about our receivers. Our best receiver Quick didn't really play much and didn't get targeted. I'm only worried about ourvhorribl line

fearsomefour

Legend
Only comes down to two thing to me.....O line play and penalties.
More penalty yards last night than yards rushing....enough said.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
All I'm worried about is the penalties.

The O-line was a lot more fluxing than people are giving them credit for, they weren't great, but they weren't completely ass like everyone is trying to make them out to be. Havenstein got beat finally, it was going to happen to a rookie eventually, but Foles made some plays and escaped pressure and at other times our O held up for some nice plays like on that Foles bomb to Givens.

Seems to me exactly what we all should have been expecting, an inexperienced line going to growing pains.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The touchdown play to Givens wasnt just a pretty pass.....the whole play was well executed by everyone and the formation was very original and caught them off guard. If we have more stuff like that in the playbook we can mask some of the issues on the line.

I'm so hoping that was just a glimpse of what the Rams are planning. Run fake, end around fake, bomb to the end zone. Is Givens going to be the biggest beneficiary of having a Foles?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I wonder if Austin has the speed to get open like Givens? Anyone have the particulars on Tavon?

RamWoodie

Legend
Obviously we're all going to try to measure this team, but I think that's a mistake at this point because as I've watched the preseason not one team I've seen has looked impressive after about the first five mins.

It's just not the preseason it used to be because of the money the starters are making. Teams are not going to play the game long with their starting players.

I think we're left with really waiting until about game 3 of regular season to get a good feel of the Rams capability. We know they have good players, but we also know their working in a new offense and QB.

I really think we're in a "wait and see" mode for the most part because aren't the practices closed now??? How can you get a good feel for what you can't see?

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Obviously we're all going to try to measure this team, but I think that's a mistake at this point because as I've watched the preseason not one team I've seen has looked impressive after about the first five mins.

Even before Sam Bradford started the Eagles have put up at least 24-0 halftime leads or better 3 times now and I've watched every game so far. eagles are deep and for real and the seahags got luky with the third man named Lockette from Kansas State to go pro and this ( I predict) will be the best yet. Great family genes. He has broken bigtime return plays in all 3 pre-season games for TD's in 2 games .Dude is freakin dangerous as what we thought we got with TA. Seattles OL is still a mess but we will need great coverage teams against them and pass coverage on Graham and Lockkette. They did'nt have a 1st round pick and lockette was a third round find as he was a one man team at Kansas State and a class act. Glad their DB is holding out but I'll bet he signs and dresses before first game as per usual.

Mason has been babying that hammy all off season and its quite bothering. Hope it does'nt force us into a mistake with Gurley too soon. Bradford looked like he was born again in Philly. They'll have built Kelly a statue before year is out. Our LB's had best series of offseason in third series last night. They were scary good. How do you get two offensive line facemask penalties in one drive ever? Barrett Jones had his shot to start and we can and must do better. I'm so sorry. Colts had scored the fewest points of the 3 teams we played in first half so I have no idea what happens with a high flyin team facing us. Both Steelers and Packers are beat up pretty good early for us playing them early. Skins not looking world beaters either. Seattle will be biggest challenge as we all knew. We must take advantage of their OL troubles. I'm sure we are scouting them already.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
For a team that wants to pound the rock the offense has done a poor job opening holes so far in the preseason. The line has also has struggled in protection.....If this offensive line can't get it together the offense is screwed.
Well, time is running out...but as long as we can prevent injuries, with time, we definitely have 5 bodies to throw at the masses. G-Rob-Brown-Jones-Saffold-Havenstein...I still think can be solid run blockers...It's shown itself from time to time...huge holes...short yardage plays we get huge push....I'm kinda excited to see this group perform for a solid month...And as Donnall, Battle, Wichmann grow, our depth becomes huge. Reynolds & Barnes are solid vets to step in THIS season.

2) Penalties:
I know this is a young team, but eventually this crap has got to stop.
This is a coaching thing Fro...no way to say it...positional coaches all the way to the HC....if they let us lose games because of penalties...it's straight on them.

3) Blown Coverages:
Our defense can be kicking butt, then all the sudden we leave a guy wide open for a long easy TD. It seems to happen on an every game occurrence.
I hate pointing fingers...but I do it so well, lol...JK....Move one of our best players, Mark Barron, into a starting role...Let he, and TJ Mac control the secondary....Seriously...bring Mo Alexander along....Christian Bryant...Until we remove the career ST'er from the starting unit, can't expect silly mistakes to stop....I figure the captain of the defense to call the plays....the guy that sets us up in such great position...you know, does all this high powered thinking for the unit to straighten this out by now...ah well, maybe watching a future HOF from the deep middle IS like solving a quadratic equation....how would anyone know he's trying to get deep?

DenverRam

Starter
dallas had to go o line in draft for 3 years before they got their line.

I assume we will have to do something similar.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

no.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
We won't make the playoffs if...

...our offense doesn't care of the football and also capitalize on the turnovers created by our defense.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If the O-line continues to play like they have, forget everything else. Foles won't survive the season and our RBs won't have a chance to do much. I'm extremely worried about GRob.

At least our Oline isn't as bad as the Buc's line. Jameis is going to be dead by the second game.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
At least our Oline isn't as bad as the Buc's line. Jameis is going to be dead by the second game.

Don't worry about Jameis, he'll be fine, he'll have throw enough interceptions in his 1st to be dropped by that point.