We Need to Make a Bold Move - QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think that Megatron, Antonio Brown, or Marques Colston came from a pro-style offense either. Talent is talent.

You're missing the point. You want WRs to fill the immediate need. I'm telling you that banking on rookie WRs to do that is not a good idea. And your example proves it. Megatron was a decent #2 as a rookie that had his struggles. Antonio Brown barely played. As for Colston, I don't know what Hofstra ran. He had a good rookie year...but he also had Drew Brees and an amazing passing game. But rookie years like his aren't the norm.

Point I'm making is that you don't know what you'll get out of a rookie WR (aside from Amari Cooper). So drafting them because we need WRs to step up next year might not immediately solve our problems.

I won't get into Wilson or Doctson as players. I haven't fully evaluated either yet. Although, thus far, there's something not sitting right with me on Wilson.(I can't put my finger on it quite yet)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You're missing the point. You want WRs to fill the immediate need. I'm telling you that banking on rookie WRs to do that is not a good idea. And your example proves it. Megatron was a decent #2 as a rookie that had his struggles. Antonio Brown barely played. As for Colston, I don't know what Hofstra ran. He had a good rookie year...but he also had Drew Brees and an amazing passing game. But rookie years like his aren't the norm.

Point I'm making is that you don't know what you'll get out of a rookie WR (aside from Amari Cooper). So drafting them because we need WRs to step up next year might not immediately solve our problems.

I won't get into Wilson or Doctson as players. I haven't fully evaluated either yet. Although, thus far, there's something not sitting right with me on Wilson.(I can't put my finger on it quite yet)

It's probably because he reminds you of Benjamin. :p

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's probably because he reminds you of Benjamin. :p

That's just it...he doesn't. Coincidentally enough, somebody mentioned the same thing on another site a few minutes ago and I said the same exact thing haha (that he doesn't remind me of Benjamin aside from his size). :)

Memento

Name
Jemma
That's just it...he doesn't. Coincidentally enough, somebody mentioned the same thing on another site a few minutes ago and I said the same exact thing haha (that he doesn't remind me of Benjamin aside from his size). :)

Who does he remind you of, then? Because I've watched a lot of Benjamin and a lot of Wilson, and they look really similar to me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who does he remind you of, then? Because I've watched a lot of Benjamin and a lot of Wilson, and they look really similar to me.

I don't know. I'll let you know when I've seen enough games to have an evaluation. (y)

lockdnram21

Legend
We dont need to draft 2 receivers. We just need to draft the right receiver. I would be surprised if Fisher drafts 2 receivers high. Because it would take our first to get Doctson(thats if he falls to our pick). Then our best 2nd round pick to get Wilson. I want 1 of them. Then maybe a Lt depending on how GR finishes this year and how they feel about Battle

FRO

Legend
After learning what we have from the Bradford experiment, I want to build up the receiving corps and line before putting our eggs in the QB basket. That's not to say we can't add veterans before the draft, but we cannot give a rookie QB this current support cast.

Also is there recent history of a team making a bold move to get their QB and it working out for them. If all I have to do is trade a second and a first to move up for our guy, then sure. I just see with how poor QBs have been playing that we won't have much of a shot to move up to get one without overpaying.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Jrry, how do you like Watson from Clemson? I think he's a true Sophmore so he's a year away but he's winning and looking fairly good to my non scouts eye.

Athos

Legend
After learning what we have from the Bradford experiment, I want to build up the receiving corps and line before putting our eggs in the QB basket. That's not to say we can't add veterans before the draft, but we cannot give a rookie QB this current support cast.

I am as critical of our WRs as the next guy.....but when Foles keeps missing open guys or making ugly completions that leave our WRs open to massive hits....just a pass-catcher isn't gonna do much Fro.

Foles is awful. I've tried to stay positive...but he keeps leaving yards on the field.

We need a QB. And if we can get one. Get him.

TENN got both Mariota AND DGB. In the same year.

We can get a QB and a WR. Use FA if we have too for Jeffery. But we are going nowhere with Foles. He had his system in Philly. Foles may need a top 5 o-line to be of any use. How long is that gonna take to build?

Stel

Starter
I am as critical of our WRs as the next guy.....but when Foles keeps missing open guys or making ugly completions that leave our WRs open to massive hits....just a pass-catcher isn't gonna do much Fro.
Foles is awful. I've tried to stay positive...but he keeps leaving yards on the field.

Prescott and Wilson from MSU? :sneaky:

Stel

Starter
I was aware of your opinion of him. Just pulling your chain.

However, I think Fisher will have a more positive outlook about him.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Dak sucks. A really poor mans Wussell Wilson. Really poor mans.

Dak Prescott is a broke homeless man's Russell Wilson. Except probably worse. I wouldn't touch him with a thirty-foot pole.

Bradmac41

UDFA
Name
Brad
Dak Prescott is a broke homeless man's Russell Wilson. Except probably worse. I wouldn't touch him with a thirty-foot pole.
And he couldn't be any worse than Nick Foles. He is the worst q.b. in football, bar none.

Bradmac41

UDFA
Name
Brad

We can get a QB and a WR. Use FA if we have too for Jeffery. But we are going nowhere with Foles. He had his system in Philly. Foles may need a top 5 o-line to be of any use. How long is that gonna take to build?
It's close. The Rams have a bottom 3 O-line.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dak sucks. A really poor mans Wussell Wilson. Really poor mans.

He's not really like Wilson at all. More Jason Campbell in play style. Game manager with decent mobility and no pocket instincts.

I was aware of your opinion of him. Just pulling your chain.

However, I think Fisher will have a more positive outlook about him.

I don't think the Rams are going to be as high on Prescott as you believe. He's not Steve McNair. It's just not close. And Fisher was a big fan of Cutler in Tennessee and then wanted Mannion and Foles here.

Prescott is better than some posters make him out to be but he's not a future starter to me. I think he has the potential to be a serviceable backup in the NFL like Jason Campbell. But there's also some Tajh Boyd to his game.(although, he doesn't have Boyd's god awful decision making)

He's just a really average player. Ball-patter, lacks pocket instincts, average accuracy, decent but nothing special arm, decent but nothing special mobility, etc. I was yawning while evaluating him. Nothing stood out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Off topic, but what happened to Patrick Towles of Kentucky? Man, I thought he was on his way to becoming a serious prospect, hes been awful this year

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Off topic, but what happened to Patrick Towles of Kentucky? Man, I thought he was on his way to becoming a serious prospect, hes been awful this year

Has the tools but has never been able to put it together in the other parts of his game. Kind of like Hackenberg.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My early thoughts on the guys I've seen thus far:
First Tier
1. Jared Goff QB Cal - Top 10
2. Paxton Lynch QB Memphis - Top 10

Second Tier
1. Connor Cook QB Michigan State - 2nd
2. Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State - 2nd

Third Tier
1. Cardale Jones QB Ohio State - 3rd/4th
2. Jacoby Brissett QB North Carolina State - 4th

Fourth Tier
1. Christian Hackenberg QB Penn State - 5th/6th
2. Cody Kessler QB Southern Cal - 6th
3. Dak Prescott QB Mississippi State - 6th

Fifth Tier
1. Trevone Boykin QB Texas Christian - 6th/7th
2. Brandon Doughty QB Western Kentucky - 7th

Both of the second tier QBs could become first rounders in my book. With Cook, I need to see more games this year. He needs to show more consistent accuracy (better footwork would help) and less bad decisions under pressure. With Wentz, he needs to have a strong post-season. Show improved lower body mechanics and that he can handle the NFL game mentally.