We Need to Make a Bold Move - QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sorry but I don't think Mannion is the future and I see Nick Foles as a bridge QB. The Rams need to trade up in the first round this year. I think either Goff or Lynch will be available around Pick #10. The Rams need to go get one of the two. We need to start developing our QB of the future. We can sit Lynch or Goff for a year and develop him behind Foles. But I don't believe in Foles as our future. He's competent enough to be a bridge QB for our future (like a Kyle Orton) but this team needs to make a big splash.

Personally, I won't be a bit surprised if Lynch ends up as the top QB off the board with Connor Cook being the #2 QB (because some team will fall in love with his pro style experience and physical tools) which will leave Goff on the board in the 8-14 range. We need to go grab him. Give that kid a year to develop and he'll be special. But if they flip it (Goff goes #1 and Lynch is available), same deal. Grab Lynch. As it stands now, I think both QBs have the ability to be franchise QB at the NFL level if developed properly.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I'm sorry but I don't think Mannion is the future and I see Nick Foles as a bridge QB. The Rams need to trade up in the first round this year. I think either Goff or Lynch will be available around Pick #10. The Rams need to go get one of the two. We need to start developing our QB of the future. We can sit Lynch or Goff for a year and develop him behind Foles. But I don't believe in Foles as our future. He's competent enough to be a bridge QB for our future (like a Kyle Orton) but this team needs to make a big splash.

Personally, I won't be a bit surprised if Lynch ends up as the top QB off the board with Connor Cook being the #2 QB (because some team will fall in love with his pro style experience and physical tools) which will leave Goff on the board in the 8-14 range. We need to go grab him. Give that kid a year to develop and he'll be special. But if they flip it (Goff goes #1 and Lynch is available), same deal. Grab Lynch. As it stands now, I think both QBs have the ability to be franchise QB at the NFL level if developed properly.
Goff is awful and probably should stay another year. Ive never watched Lynch play but he sounds intriguing.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Neither Goff or Lynch are going to fall that far. Someone else with more assets will trade up for one of them very early. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see both them and Cook go in the top ten. Teams are always desperate for quarterbacks.

Aside from that, quarterback isn't our primary need. We need wide receivers because Austin is the only trustworthy one we have. Bailey and Marquez look like third wide receivers at best and fourth wide receivers/stud special teams players as the most likely scenario. Britt is who he is: a big wide receiver who drops passes and is prone to making stupid mistakes. He'll likely be cut as a cap-saving move because his contract is a two-year deal with a first year option. Quick still hasn't recovered from that shoulder injury, and we can't afford to wait for him to get better, if he ever will. He's a free agent this year. We both agree that Cook should be gone.

Like you said, Foles is a bridge quarterback, and he's signed until the end of 2017 on a reasonable contract. But without a wide receiving corps worth a damn, not even Goff or Lynch behind center is going to get very far. We need two wide receivers from this draft.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Goff is awful and probably should stay another year. Ive never watched Lynch play but he sounds intriguing.

I like Goff a hell of a lot more than I like Lynch. Goff is the only reason why California is competitive at all. If he decides to stay another year, then that's good for us; we can take him or Kaaya in 2017 along with possibly Scooby Wright (whom I'm starting to doubt will come out early).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Neither Goff or Lynch are going to fall that far. Someone else with more assets will trade up for one of them very early. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see both them and Cook go in the top ten. Teams are always desperate for quarterbacks.

Aside from that, quarterback isn't our primary need. We need wide receivers because Austin is the only trustworthy one we have. Bailey and Marquez look like third wide receivers at best and fourth wide receivers/stud special teams players as the most likely scenario. Britt is who he is: a big wide receiver who drops passes and is prone to making stupid mistakes. He'll likely be cut as a cap-saving move because his contract is a two-year deal with a first year option. Quick still hasn't recovered from that shoulder injury, and we can't afford to wait for him to get better, if he ever will. He's a free agent this year. We both agree that Cook should be gone.

Like you said, Foles is a bridge quarterback, and he's signed until the end of 2017 on a reasonable contract. But without a wide receiving corps worth a damn, not even Goff or Lynch behind center is going to get very far. We need two wide receivers from this draft.

QB is our primary need.

And I doubt all three QBs are gone before Pick #8.

Memento

Name
Jemma
QB is our primary need.

And I doubt all three QBs are gone before Pick #8.

Wide receiver is easily our primary need, and this is coming from a girl who thought that defensive end would be the need. We can live with Foles for another year, especially if Goff stays in school; we cannot live with another year of nothing but Tavon and Gurley for our offense. And why would you trade up to pick #8 when we're likely going to end up close to the twenties with plenty of needs aside from a quarterback in this draft, especially when we have one signed for next year? That's going to cost a ton of picks.

We both know that Connor Cook is a waste of time. There are four teams who are currently picking in the top eight who will need a quarterback: Houston, Cleveland, Chicago, and San Fransisco. San Fransisco is the only iffy one because they need everything, but we don't know what they'll decide. That's still three teams. Houston and Cleveland will take quarterbacks. Chicago is definitely a candidate. The Jets, Bills, Redskins, and Eagles could easily move up for a quarterback as well, so we'll be competing against them, therefore driving the price up.

Even if Goff comes out, there's only him and Lynch, and they will both be long gone.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wide receiver is easily our primary need, and this is coming from a girl who thought that defensive end would be the need. We can live with Foles for another year, especially if Goff stays in school; we cannot live with another year of nothing but Tavon and Gurley for our offense. And why would you trade up to pick #8 when we're likely going to end up close to the twenties with plenty of needs aside from a quarterback in this draft, especially when we have one signed for next year? That's going to cost a ton of picks.

We both know that Connor Cook is a waste of time. There are four teams who are currently picking in the top eight who will need a quarterback: Houston, Cleveland, Chicago, and San Fransisco. San Fransisco is the only iffy one because they need everything, but we don't know what they'll decide. That's still three teams. Houston and Cleveland will take quarterbacks. Chicago is definitely a candidate. The Jets, Bills, Redskins, and Eagles could easily move up for a quarterback as well, so we'll be competing against them, therefore driving the price up.

Even if Goff comes out, there's only him and Lynch, and they will both be long gone.

Because a QB is worth far more than a WR. And if we want this team to go to the next level, we need a franchise QB. The best thing we could do for a potential franchise QB is draft him then give him time to develop. So waiting to address our QB problem until Foles is no longer under contract isn't a good idea. Foles doesn't appear to be the guy. We need to go find the guy.

WR is a need but it's not an overly valuable position.

If Houston's staff remains the same, I bet they draft Connor Cook. Cleveland may or may not choose to draft a QB. Same with Chicago and San Francisco. The four teams you named also aren't locks to draft QBs.

I highly doubt that three QBs will be gone in the first 7 picks. And I expect Connor Cook to be one of the top two QBs taken for obvious reasons.

But all will certainly be gone before we pick at #32! ;)

Okay. Before we pick in the low to mid 20s. (y)

Gotta trade up or hope one falls.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Because a QB is worth far more than a WR. And if we want this team to go to the next level, we need a franchise QB. The best thing we could do for a potential franchise QB is draft him then give him time to develop. So waiting to address our QB problem until Foles is no longer under contract isn't a good idea. Foles doesn't appear to be the guy. We need to go find the guy.

WR is a need but it's not an overly valuable position.

If Houston's staff remains the same, I bet they draft Connor Cook. Cleveland may or may not choose to draft a QB. Same with Chicago and San Francisco. The four teams you named also aren't locks to draft QBs.

I highly doubt that three QBs will be gone in the first 7 picks. And I expect Connor Cook to be one of the top two QBs taken for obvious reasons.

Quarterback is the most valuable position, true, but it's not our biggest need. Wide receiver is currently our biggest need. Foles is not playing well, and he's not our future quarterback, but we're stuck with him. We should not be stuck with Tavon Austin as the only legitimate receiving option on this team.

In addition, Goff could very well stay in school because he's a junior. A lot of us thought that Connor Cook and Cardale Jones would come out last year, adn they didn't. That would leave Lynch as the only option.

Another question: what would you deal to move up to #7 overall (because the Browns currently have the #8 pick) from where we'll likely be picking (early-to-mid twenties)? Teams are starting to covet those high picks nowadays. What would you deal? How will we restock our roster?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quarterback is the most valuable position, true, but it's not our biggest need. Wide receiver is currently our biggest need. Foles is not playing well, and he's not our future quarterback, but we're stuck with him. We should not be stuck with Tavon Austin as the only legitimate receiving option on this team.

In addition, Goff could very well stay in school because he's a junior. A lot of us thought that Connor Cook and Cardale Jones would come out last year, adn they didn't. That would leave Lynch as the only option.

Another question: what would you deal to move up to #7 overall (because the Browns currently have the #8 pick) from where we'll likely be picking (early-to-mid twenties)? Teams are starting to covet those high picks nowadays. What would you deal? How will we restock our roster?

No, we're not stuck with him. It would be like me saying, "We can't draft a better WR because we're stuck with Kenny Britt."

Foles can be cut with ease after 2015 or 2016. But it will help a young QB to have a year to develop.

I'm not sure how we have less of a need at QB than WR. Britt and Foles are both playing like poop. Foles is a bottom 10 ranked QB right now. Britt is near the bottom of the WR rankings. We need to fix both. QB is more important.

As far as Goff is concerned, there's a lot of smoke that he's going to declare.(same with Paxton Lynch)

What would I deal to move up? Depends on what they're asking. The right team might be willing to move down for a 1st, 2nd, and future 2nd.

Restock our roster? Our roster doesn't need restocking if we use our cap money wisely and retain our free agents.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Houston and Cleveland will take quarterbacks.
Perhaps Johnny Football will make Cleveland think they have the answer tomorrow....Maybe O'Brian will want Hackenberg....Never know.

We def. will need a QB....and I think 4 are out there

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep, we really need a QB. And I'd love to get a mobile QB. Not a running QB but a QB that can create yards with his legs would be nice.

Athos

Legend
Yep, we really need a QB. And I'd love to get a mobile QB. Not a running QB but a QB that can create yards with his legs would be nice.

Word. Foles left yards in the air and on the ground if he could move even just a little. It sucks when you see a clear lane for the QB to gain positive yards....and the QB just can't do it.

Memento

Name
Jemma
At this point? I agree. I still think that wide receiver is our biggest need and that we need two of them picked highly (third round or higher) if we're going to win, but we're not going to win with Foles either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point? I agree. I still think that wide receiver is our biggest need and that we need two of them picked highly (third round or higher) if we're going to win, but we're not going to win with Foles either.

I'm not sure two rookie WRs are going to provide the impact you want.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm not sure two rookie WRs are going to provide the impact you want.

Rookies seemed to provide more of an impact than our receivers have. You don't think Doctson and Wilson wouldn't be upgrades over Britt and Quick?

Stel

Starter
Britt and Quick got open today. Foles didn't get the ball to them. Greatest WRs in the world, rookie or otherwise, wouldn't have changed that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rookies seemed to provide more of an impact than our receivers have. You don't think Doctson and Wilson wouldn't be upgrades over Britt and Quick?

I think they will both be rookies and neither are coming from a pro style offense.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I think they will both be rookies and neither are coming from a pro style offense.

I don't think that Megatron, Antonio Brown, or Marques Colston came from a pro-style offense either. Talent is talent.