We might be seeing more regular season rookie snaps than we had at first thought...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Call me a hopeless optimist if you will, but it’s hard to deny some of these early reports.

I see the following rookies getting more snaps than had been predicted on draft day. Always a good thing on a talented roster.

Cam Akers. Hardly a surprise here. Heck, I think he’ll claim that starting position in a rotation with Hendy.

Van Jefferson. Don’t look now but this kid might actually beat out Reynolds for that 3rd WR spot. Once he gets it (and I think it’s a ‘when’, not ‘if’), he’ll never look back.

Terrell Lewis. What is there to say? His health is no longer in question. Gonna be hard to keep him off the field.

Terrell Burgess. Another guy that’s likely to see a ton of snaps in Staley’s nickel and dime packages. Might even win the nickel CB spot outright.

Jordan Fuller. The biggest pleasant surprise for yours truly. Like finding money unexpectedly. Don’t know how many snaps he’s gonna get behind JJ and Rapp, but then again Staley might use him in some dime sets. I suspect that Staley intends quite a few dime sets this season, but he also has so many other gems he could use in them, so...

I remain high on all of our other remaining draft picks except maybe Sloman, but let’s face it, they’re unlikely to get significant snaps this year barring catastrophic injuries.

Bottom line? This is shaping up as a helluva draft so far, don’t you think?

dang

Legend
Cautiously optimistic. I must admit I was wrong with Jefferson. He looks to be ready for WR3 duty.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
McVay's philosophy should be finding the best player available, be it a veteran or a rookie draft pick.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McVay's philosophy should be finding the best player available, be it a veteran or a rookie draft pick.

‘That goes without saying, tomas.

I’m suggesting that some of these rookies might be better than vets available when coming off the bench.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A Rams draft history follow-up post by AlbaNY Ram which sheds further light on the impressive Snead/McVay draft trendline.

Here’s AlbaNY Ram...

"This is shaping up as a helluva draft so far, don’t you think?" How many in a row would that be?

Currently projected to make the final 53 from the 2020 draft (round selected & player):
<note: the Rams didn't have a 1st round pick>
2 Cam Akers
2 Van Jefferson
3 Terrell Lewis
3 Terrell Burgess
4 Brycen Hopkins
6 Jordan Fuller
7 Clay Johnson
7 Tremayne Anchrum

Currently projected to make the final 53 from the 2019 draft (round selected & player):
2 Taylor Rapp
3 Darrell Henderson
3 David Long
3 Bobby Evans
4 Greg Gaines
5 David Edwards
7 Nick Scott

Currently projected to make the final 53 from the 2018 draft (round selected & player):
<note: the Rams didn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick>
3 Joe Noteboom
4 Brian Allen
5 Micah Kiser
5 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
6 Sebastian Joseph-Day
7 Travin Howard

Currently projected to make the final 53 from the 2017 draft (round selected & player):
2 Gerald Everett
3 Cooper Kupp
3 John Johnson
4 Josh Reynolds
4 Samsun Ebukam

Currently projected to make the final 53 from the 2016 draft (round selected & player):
<note: the Rams didn't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick>
1 Jared Goff
4 Tyler Higbee

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A Rams draft history follow-up post by AlbaNY Ram which sheds further light on the impressive Snead/McVay draft trendline.

Here’s AlbaNY Ram...

"This is shaping up as a helluva draft so far, don’t you think?" How many in a row would that be?

Currently projected to make the final 53 from the 2020 draft (round selected & player):
2 Cam Akers
2 Van Jefferson
3 Terrell Lewis
3 Terrell Burgess
4 Brycen Hopkins
6 Jordan Fuller
7 Clay Johnson
7 Tremayne Anchrum

Currently projected to make the final 53 from the 2019 draft (round selected & player):
2 Taylor Rapp
3 Darrell Henderson
3 David Long
3 Bobby Evans
4 Greg Gaines
5 David Edwards
7 Nick Scott

Currently projected to make the final 53 from the 2018 draft (round selected & player):
3 Joe Noteboom
4 Brian Allen
5 Micah Kiser
5 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
6 Sebastian Joseph-Day
7 Travin Howard

Currently projected to make the final 53 from the 2017 draft (round selected & player):
2 Gerald Everett
3 Cooper Kupp
3 John Johnson
4 Josh Reynolds
4 Samsun Ebukam

Currently projected to make the final 53 from the 2016 draft (round selected & player):
1 Jared Goff
4 Tyler Higbee

tenor.gif

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Another AlbaNY Ram gem on this topic.

Here’s AlbaNY Ram...

The Rams seem to have embraced a strategy of letting certain talent move on in exchange for comp picks. That strategy only works if you've got guys in position to fill in the resulting holes. Drafting well is the linchpin to that strategy, and Snead et al have really done a good job restocking the shelves year after year.

Since 2016 the Rams have had 24 picks in the first 5 rounds (including only 1 first-rounder) and 22 of them are still on the roster. The two exceptions: Pharoh Cooper (4th round, 2016) and John Franklin-Meyers (4th round, 2018). And it's not like they were busts - they are both still in the NFL (Copper with the Panthers and JFM with the Jets).

Looking at the first 5 rounds over 5 years, the Rams have 92% of their picks on the roster and 100% are still in the league. I don't know what the success rate is league-wide, but l think that would be right up there.

And speaking of comp picks, the Rams are in line for a 3rd next year for Littleton and a 4th for Fowler.

(I have this bookmarked for the next 'Snead sucks' thread ...)

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME

Here’s AlbaNY Ram...

2 Cam Akers
2 Van Jefferson
3 Terrell Lewis
3 Terrell Burgess
4 Brycen Hopkins
6 Jordan Fuller
7 Clay Johnson
7 Tremayne Anchrum

2 Taylor Rapp
3 Darrell Henderson
3 David Long
3 Bobby Evans
4 Greg Gaines
5 David Edwards
7 Nick Scott

3 Joe Noteboom
4 Brian Allen
5 Micah Kiser
5 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
6 Sebastian Joseph-Day
7 Travin Howard

2 Gerald Everett
3 Cooper Kupp
3 John Johnson
4 Josh Reynolds
4 Samsun Ebukam

1 Jared Goff
4 Tyler Higbee

So basically, over the last 5 drafts we have half of the final 53. That’s damn good