We have to draft Winston

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Since 1990, the only franchise QBs drafted in the 3rd round or later(not counting UDFAs) were Tom Brady, Trent Green, Russell Wilson, Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Schaub, Mark Brunell, Marc Bulger, and Nick Foles(maybe...we'll see about Foles).

I'm not liking our odds.

Question is jrry is there a QB worth trading up for in your opinion, in the first round?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question is jrry is there a QB worth trading up for in your opinion, in the first round?

I'm not sure. I wouldn't be willing to trade much. I think I'd be content to wait it out for Winston or Mariota. If not, I'd trade down and maybe would take Hundley in the later first. I'm still not sure on Hundley.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno.. I think that Hundley will impress come the off-season and will be a top-15 pick by the time the draft comes...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I probably shouldn't mention it but it should be noted that the young lady that accused Winston of rape changed her story again apparently.

I'm sorry but the more I learn, the less credible the claim seems to be. And seeing what went down with Treon Harris, it makes you skeptical.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who says she has? Because no one is reporting it that I can find....

It was on twitter. Apparently, she's changed her story now to claim that Winston gave her shots and that Winston and the guys coerced her into the cab when she has never claimed either. In fact, she told three different prior stories referring to the drinks and never once did she mention Winston. In fact, she claimed the drinks were given to her by a white male.

But if you know the rape statute in Florida, it makes a lot of sense why she's changing the story.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It was on twitter. Apparently, she's changed her story now to claim that Winston gave her shots and that Winston and the guys coerced her into the cab when she has never claimed either. In fact, she told three different prior stories referring to the drinks and never once did she mention Winston. In fact, she claimed the drinks were given to her by a white male.

But if you know the rape statute in Florida, it makes a lot of sense why she's changing the story.

Okay jrry...The question looms?
  1. Would you trade up to get Winston
  2. How much would you be willing to give up?
Nobody questions his talent, but IMO the Rams would have to move ahead of Tampa Bay to get him and if you are totally sold on him then your next mock must include a scenario has to include a trade up to get him and the rest of the draft after the deal.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm not jrry, but there isn't a QB in this draft class I would trade up in the first round to obtain. I like Winston and Mariota some, but the cost would be to prohibitive (still see team selecting in 15-16 range).

Hundley? I know I'm in the minority, but I still don't believe he's that much better if at all than Terrelle Pryor who can be had for a song right now. On that note, I'm hoping that the Rams can get him signed to a futures contract or something.

BTW, I'd still like to see Case Keenum play this year. Anybody else?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
BTW, I'd still like to see Case Keenum play this year. Anybody else?

Keenum reminds of a cheap sweater...After every wash, he shrinks and at 6'1 there's not too much room. I wish the Rams had waited a couple of days and claimed Ryan Griffin from the Saints instead.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay jrry...The question looms?
  1. Would you trade up to get Winston
  2. How much would you be willing to give up?
Nobody questions his talent, but IMO the Rams would have to move ahead of Tampa Bay to get him and if you are totally sold on him then your next mock must include a scenario has to include a trade up to get him and the rest of the draft after the deal.

1. Maybe. Would have to investigate his character.
2. 1st, 1st, 2nd is the most I'd be willing to give up. But I'd try to give up less.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...p-of-the-draft-talk-turns-to-mariota-winston/

For teams at the top of the draft, talk turns to Mariota, Winston
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 29, 2014

mariota.jpg
AP

Most NFL fans are still hoping their teams make a run to the playoffs. But if you’re a fan of a 1-10 or 2-9 team, it’s hard not to start thinking about the 2015 NFL draft.

In fact, the New York Post has already skipped right past the rest of the Jets’ season and is running a column suggesting that the Jets’ starting quarterback in 2015 should be Florida State’s Jameis Winston.

It’s hard to predict which team will take which player the day before the draft. Five months before the draft, predicting that the Jets will take Winston — or that any particular team will pick any particular player — is a fool’s errand. But with Winston and Oregon’s Marcus Mariota as potential franchise quarterbacks, it’s reasonable to take a look at where those quarterbacks could land.

What’s interesting is that the teams at the top of the draft order don’t necessarily need a quarterback. Here’s a look at how the Top 10 of the draft might shake out, and whether the Top 10 teams would draft Mariota or Winston:

1. Oakland: This year’s second-round quarterback, Derek Carr, has played reasonably well. It’s hard to believe the Raiders would take a quarterback high in the first round again this year.

2. Jacksonville: The Jaguars are even less likely to draft a first-round quarterback than the Raiders. Jacksonville just took Blake Bortles with the third overall pick this year, and it’s inconceivable that they’d spend a Top 3 pick on a quarterback again. That means that if the Jaguars are picking first or second, they may try to do what the Rams did when they shipped the second overall pick to Washington and got a bounty of draft picks in exchange for the pick that became Robert Griffin III.

3. New York Jets: The Jets desperately need a quarterback. Geno Smith may remain on the roster next year, but there’s no way the Jets will pass on a potential franchise quarterback if one is available when they pick in the first round.

4. Tampa Bay: The Bucs’ brass doesn’t seem to think highly of Mike Glennon, and Josh McCown is only a short-term answer. Tampa Bay is highly likely to draft a quarterback next year.

5. Tennessee Jake Locker will be gone next year, but has Zach Mettenberger done enough as a rookie to convince the Titans that he’s their quarterback of the future? If not, the Titans could be a landing spot for Winston or Mariota.

6. Washington: This is the most interesting question on the board: Would Washington cut ties with RG3 and draft his successor in 2015?

7. New York Giants Despite the major disappointment that the Giants’ offense has been this season, Eli Manning likely isn’t going anywhere any time soon.

8. Carolina: Not happening. Cam Newton is entrenched as the franchise starter. (It’s also still entirely possible that the Panthers will win the NFC South and go from a Top 10 pick to a pick somewhere in the 20s.)

9. Minnesota: Teddy Bridgewater was a first-round pick this year, which means there will be no first-round quarterback in Minnesota next year.

10. St. Louis: With the Rams likely moving on from Sam Bradford, a first-round quarterback is a strong possibility.

What the 2015 draft may bring is a pair of franchise quarterbacks who are highly coveted by several teams picking in the Top 10 — but not by the teams with the top two picks.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO I could see the Rams trading up with the Jaguars only "IF" and "IF" Winston's background checks out because hard to debate his talent and what I really want to see is Winston play against Alabama. If he does and beats the Tide many will change their opinion on him overnight again as always JMHO.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
IMO I could see the Rams trading up with the Jaguars only "IF" and "IF" Winston's background checks out because hard to debate his talent and what I really want to see is Winston play against Alabama. If he does and beats the Tide many will change their opinion on him overnight again as always JMHO.
I'm not sure how Winston's background COULD check out.

What's already known, even if we give him benefit of the doubt on things not proven, is pretty bad.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not sure how Winston's background COULD check out.

What's already known, even if we give him benefit of the doubt on things not proven, is pretty bad.

But the questions looms,is it an immature kid or are they going to be future arrests? Can't predict that, however, if he started for the Rams are they better than they are now? To me, the answer is an emphatic....YES!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
But the questions looms,is it an immature kid or are they going to be future arrests? Can't predict that,

I would say the answer to that question is "Yes". I see "coach killer" written all over this guy.

however, if he started for the Rams are they better than they are now? To me, the answer is an emphatic....YES!
The Rams are only better with him starting IF he doesn't do anything stupid. That's not a gamble I want to take.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would say the answer to that question is "Yes". I see "coach killer" written all over this guy.

The Rams are only better with him starting IF he doesn't do anything stupid. That's not a gamble I want to take.

I have been part of extensive background checks (military) and the Rams would need to do that and I am sure they do that on everyone they draft. If it comes back where they don't feel comfortable then pass on him draft somebody like Garrett Grayson renegotiate with Bradford maybe add a different back-up like Matt Moore and hope that history does not repeat it self.

However, if you feel Winston has "IT" and I don't mean the Stephen King's novel...You consider making a deal, but only if you feel the deal is right as well. My feeling is many feel the Griffin deal sets the precedent that one should never overpay and that's correct. But if you can put something together you feel comfortable with, then pull the trigger because when it comes to a winning season for the Rams...It is right, it is just and God knows, it is time!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I have been part of extensive background checks (military) and the Rams would need to do that and I am sure they do that on everyone they draft. If it comes back where they don't feel comfortable then pass on him draft somebody like Garrett Grayson renegotiate with Bradford maybe add a different back-up like Matt Moore and hope that history does not repeat it self.

However, if you feel Winston has "IT" and I don't mean the Stephen King's novel...You consider making a deal, but only if you feel the deal is right as well. My feeling is many feel the Griffin deal sets the precedent that one should never overpay and that's correct. But if you can put something together you feel comfortable with, then pull the trigger because when it comes to a winning season for the Rams...It is right, it is just and God knows, it is time!
The problem is that Winston just might have "IT" in terms of football talent. However, a lot points to the guy not having "IT" above the neck. That can't be fixed. How many people cause this many character red flags in college, then go on to excel in the NFL? I'd wager the percentage is far lower than the general non-bust vs. bust ratio for those without character red flags.

He'll be far from the first and far from the last guy to be talented but messed up and thus not be able to express that talent on an NFL field and be worthy of a draft pick. And if we make a Washington-esque deal for this guy, I want this administration run out of town on a rail.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He'll be far from the first and far from the last guy to be talented but messed up and thus not be able to express that talent on an NFL field and be worthy of a draft pick. And if we make a Washington-esque deal for this guy, I want this administration run out of town on a rail.

Like I posted earlier, you don't make that type of deal, but if you can put a deal together that you feel is worthy...Then and only then pull the trigger, otherwise, move forward with the other plan and people will understand that the cost was too high.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Like I posted earlier, you don't make that type of deal, but if you can put a deal together that you feel is worthy...Then and only then pull the trigger, otherwise, move forward with the other plan and people will understand that the cost was too high.
It's probably going to take a Washington-esque deal to get Winston because some team will fall for the hype and not realize the high odds against return on investment from the guy.

But even if he fell to us, he's going to be a coach killer. This is not the guy you want as face of the franchise. Who else has had these kind of character red flags and succeeded in the NFL? And how many with them have failed?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But even if he fell to us, he's going to be a coach killer. This is not the guy you want as face of the franchise. Who else has had these kind of character red flags and succeeded in the NFL? And how many with them have failed?

You're correct many have failed, however, many have been successful too. Dan Marino, Warren Sapp, Michael Irvin the list can go back to Paul Hornung so there have been many even Janoris Jenkins came with some red flags for example.

You don't win with choir boys and I understand things are looked upon differently at Quarterback, but many have been able to have a stellar career and rebound from some dumb mistakes they've made in the past.