We have to draft Winston

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think jrry will be heartbroken and upset when the Snisher trades down and we take a stud OL with our first pick and make no effort whatsoever to get Winston because we win just enough games that we have no chance at him...

If I had to put odds on it, I think the odds on us taking a QB in the first in the 2015 draft are greater than 8:1. Maybe much greater. That's pretty big. The odds of us trading UP for a QB like Winston, Mariotta or maybe Hundley depending on our draft spot and how their post season workouts go... well, those are silly odds.

Lots of us wanted Sammy Watkins... and there's no doubt that he's quickly going to be one of if not the best receiver in the league... And... the Snisher went with the stud OL. In retrospect, I think it was the right call.

I'd be saying this if someone was all geeked about a monster DE to replace Chris Long... not gonna happen. I'd still be saying it whether I wanted the guy or not. Just wanted to make that last part clear.

All this drool about Winston and Mariotta is gonna amount to fantasy football because neither will be Rams and I'd bet big ROD bucks on it...

Big Willie

Starter
I do not want a knucklehead who gets in trouble on a routine basis. I'd prefer a experienced QB (like Sam or Eli) and a top quality developmental QB (2nd rounder). I think the team is ready to win now, and a rookie Starter with take at least 2-3 years to be good (unless his name is Andrew Luck).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think jrry will be heartbroken and upset when the Snisher trades down and we take a stud OL with our first pick and make no effort whatsoever to get Winston because we win just enough games that we have no chance at him...

If I had to put odds on it, I think the odds on us taking a QB in the first in the 2015 draft are greater than 8:1. Maybe much greater. That's pretty big. The odds of us trading UP for a QB like Winston, Mariotta or maybe Hundley depending on our draft spot and how their post season workouts go... well, those are silly odds.

Lots of us wanted Sammy Watkins... and there's no doubt that he's quickly going to be one of if not the best receiver in the league... And... the Snisher went with the stud OL. In retrospect, I think it was the right call.

I'd be saying this if someone was all geeked about a monster DE to replace Chris Long... not gonna happen. I'd still be saying it whether I wanted the guy or not. Just wanted to make that last part clear.

All this drool about Winston and Mariotta is gonna amount to fantasy football because neither will be Rams and I'd bet big ROD bucks on it...

I think we'll all be heartbroken when we sit through another losing season because we don't have a QB.

Shuie3225

Starter
Yea we cannot afford to go into next season with Sam and AD as our qbs. Our whole FO needs to be fired if we do. Realistically our pick will be 5-10 so we will have options.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course I looked at them. I didn't say there wasn't a safety on the field though. But, since I appreciate you going to the trouble to use graphics to help illustrate what you say, I'll do the same:
winston.jpg

The receiver starts his route directly on the left hash and Winston is standing on the right hash when he throws it. The safety is on the left hash when the receiver actually catches the ball. He looks as if he's planted his feet, anticipating an easy interception but the receiver makes the great catch. But if Winston throws the ball where I've indicated, the receiver easily beats the LB up the field and has separation doing it. If the pass is on a line, maybe...maybe the LB can tip it but a little air and that shouldn't be an issue. Neither DB should be able to get position either. The receiver would be splitting those two guys and this is a pass that would be straight down the field for Winston since it be going from the right hash to the right hash. Basically one of the easier deep throws a QB can make(as opposed to throwing from the right hash the left sideline for example. We don't get to see where #10 is lined up at the snap but it looks like the right hash. He's moving straight forward when he first comes into frame but he's so deep that if the FS receiver Wilson runs the route and is allowed to cut and continue to the inside as I've indicated, he's easily got the angle to make the catch which would have been a TD.

The safety is on the left hash the entire time because he's playing the ball. If Winston leads him, the safety would have been over the top with the LB underneath. He would have dropped that ball right into the safety's hands if he threw it where you wanted him to.

Look at the second picture I posted. Winston is releasing the ball. The safety is inside of the WR. He's going to be playing the ball. Which means he's going to break to the ball which will put him right where you're claiming Winston should drop the ball into. He's going to be running to that same spot as the WR on the play and he has the better angle.

You can't assume the same behavior from the safety if the ball is placed differently.

Finally, as I said before, you're dealing with a young WR running routes. I believe Wilson was supposed to settle in the hole in the zone. But we can't prove that. However, the spot you're claiming Winston should throw to is a spot where the ball would be placed on a SKINNY POST, Wilson is not running a skinny post. He's running a standard post which means he's not being brought up-field to that depth and is making a harder cut towards the middle as your line shows.

So Winston is supposed to throw to a route that the WR isn't running? Which means there won't be anyone home. On the WR's route trajectory, he'd reach the opposite hash 3 yards short of where your spot is. Which means the defenders underneath would still be an issue.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
No, jrry. I don't think Winston is our savior and the ONLY way we win is if we draft him.

I'll be heartbroken is the team quits. I haven't seen that. Frankly, if Sam Bradford catches even ONE damn break and plays like he was playing in pre-season, then this team will be a freakin' juggernaut and I'll bet all my ROD bucks on the Rams winning the Super Bowl.

2015 will be our year if Sam can come back healthy and the OL will can be fixed.

That means our OL is Robinson, Rookie/FA OG, Jones, Saffold, Barksdale.

Behind that OL, I think Bradford doesn't just survive, but he hoists a Lombardi.

That's where I'm at. I think Bradford turned a corner this year with his understanding of how to play QB as a top tier NFL QB and his knee gave out. That said, I think he comes back with a vengeance next year and the coaching staff bangs the drum on making sure that every game, Bradford has a clean uni at the end of the game.

Lastly, lots of folks thought the CB from Oregon was coming out and he would have been a top 10 pick last year and he stayed. There's LOTS of talk locally about Winston wanting to stay in school. I heard something on the sports talk radio today. Just talk, but point is that there's no guarantee that he even comes out. And what are you going to do if Winston stays and Mariotta has a poor off-season, which could happen? What then?

Point is, Bradford is coming back and may be our answer at QB. But we don't know what the rest of the season has in store for us. We have no idea what are FULL team needs will be going into 2015 will be until the season is over. Banging the drum incessantly for one guy now who may not even come out is really premature. Plus, it totally ignores who our HC and GM are.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, jrry. I don't think Winston is our savior and the ONLY way we win is if we draft him.

Yea, don't misrepresent things. I think this team sorely needs a QB. I love Bradford. I think a lot of him. With Bradford, this team has a winning record. But counting on Bradford to stay healthy isn't something I can do. If he gets hurt again, we're in trouble. We need a Plan B.

Winston isn't the only Plan B. He's not our "savior" but he is a talented QB. This team needs a talented QB. I don't care if it's Winston or Mariota. I don't care if it's a QB currently in the NFL. We need a quality starter at QB. And we need to be ready if we do stick with Bradford because we never know when he'll get hurt.

If our team gets caught with their pants down a third year in a row, you better bet I'll be mad.

I also don't think we're as far apart on our opinions as you believe. I won't go as far as a Lombardi but I agree that our OL isn't as bad as it's made out to be. Add a quality starting OG and some depth behind Saffold and we should be okay. I think Bradford can thrive in our offense if we do that...especially if we add to the WR position(but it's not 100% necessary).

However, my issue is that I just can't trust Bradford to stay healthy.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
IMO none of the other college options are close to his talent level. I'm sure there will be other quality NFL QBs that come out of this draft class, but none with his ceiling. Our team isn't terrible, yes we have holes but we're not terrible. A quarterback that actually pans out would do us wonders.

And just how do you know that Winston will pan out?

I mean, yes we do have to address the QB position in the off season, but why MUST we draft Winston?

And please, not just your opinion.
Some facts to support it would be nice.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think we'll all be heartbroken when we sit through another losing season because we don't have a QB.

I agree just find us a Quarterback that can win some freaking football games! If it's Winston then fine! Draft him and assign a handler to keep him on the straight and narrow.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I agree just find us a Quarterback that can win some freaking football games! If it's Winston then fine! Draft him and assign a handler to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Yea, I can't figure out why FSU doesn't hire a Bodyguard (Excuse me - A Tutor) to shadow Winston until he leaves their school! Maybe, it is against NCAA rules but if not it seems like it should be money well spent!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And just how do you know that Winston will pan out?

I mean, yes we do have to address the QB position in the off season, but why MUST we draft Winston?

And please, not just your opinion.
Some facts to support it would be nice.

How is a person supposed to give you facts that Winston WILL pan out in the NFL? He hasn't played in the NFL yet. That's an unreasonable request. The best he can give you is his opinion.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
How is a person supposed to give you facts that Winston WILL pan out in the NFL? He hasn't played in the NFL yet. That's an unreasonable request. The best he can give you is his opinion.

I know.
But he was saying we MUST draft Winston, based solely upon his opinion.
I was making an unreasonable request, to illustrate his unreasonable statement.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know.
But he was saying we MUST draft Winston, based solely upon his opinion.
I was making an unreasonable request, to illustrate his unreasonable statement.

It's not an unreasonable statement if he believes that we need a QB and that Winston is the only franchise QB in the draft.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I don't wanna draft a QB until the third round. There's always a good one or two around those spots. Time to do our home work.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
It's not an unreasonable statement if he believes that we need a QB and that Winston is the only franchise QB in the draft.

No it's not if he states he believes drafting him is the best course.
It's unreasonable if he states we MUST draft him. And he did.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Let's be real, who sees us in a position to get Winston or Mariota? Loud and proud, now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't wanna draft a QB until the third round. There's always a good one or two around those spots. Time to do our home work.

Since 1990, the only franchise QBs drafted in the 3rd round or later(not counting UDFAs) were Tom Brady, Trent Green, Russell Wilson, Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Schaub, Mark Brunell, Marc Bulger, and Nick Foles(maybe...we'll see about Foles).

I'm not liking our odds.