We have a very "interesting" D now, don't we?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Under the guidance of GW, this D has become very flexible in it's schemes and packages.

Call it "evolved" or "nuanced" or whatever one likes. But it seems now capable of controlling many different types of opposing O's and QB's.

It has the player personnel to contain scrambling QB's such as Wilson and Rodgers, for example. Something that most D's struggle to do.

We have "hybrid" D linemen. Some can play either DT or DE at times and do it well.

We have a hybrid LB in Barron. Never know his assignment on any given play, but boy has he ever produced. Even before the Ogletree injury he was having a fine season. But the Brown game was an eye opener, huh?

And CB? Sometimes 2, sometimes 3, sometimes 4.

Safety play has really improved. Sometimes indistinguishable from CB play from the opposing QB's pov.

Blitzes come often and from many directions. QB's are on the receiving end of punishing hits all game long. Gotta be taking it's toll. Sure did for McCown and Big Ben. Receivers don't get off easy, either. I can't recall seeing so many crushing one on one tackles in a game, offhand. Many were sure old school wrap up tackles, too.

With the exception of Washington, I think it's fair to say that our D significantly reduced the opposing O production in general, and QB production in particular, in every game this year so far. And against some top quality O's, at that. Very impressive.

What's my point? It's twofold, really.

I think we have a SB capable D now, and it's likely only gonna get better over time.

I hope that we can hang onto as many of these players as possible. They play really well together.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We have a hybrid LB in Barron. Never know his assignment on any given play, but boy has he ever produced. Even before the Ogletree injury he was having a fine season. But the Brown game was an eye opener, huh?
Not really....if you watched closely, we have had several outstanding efforts from players in the back 7....Barron has been arguably the BPOT when he's on the field...I still can't believe it took an injury for him to get 100% of the defensive snaps.

What's my point? It's twofold, really.

I think we have a SB capable D now, and it's likely only gonna get better over time.
We are currently 10th in points, 12th in yards...
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2015.htm
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/stl/st-louis-rams
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense
..or something like that....with our current offensive production, I'd guess we need to get in the top 3 in both....to be a serious SB contender....There are no guarantees that this defense will get better...With the up coming FA's that need to be re-signed it could conceivably get worse... That's why we need to strike while the iron is hot....We may never have this amount of talent on the defensive side of the ball...This D should be better.....we allow to many yards to average to below average QB's....consistently....we allow too many 3rd down conversions....we give up too large of a cushion in the secondary....I could go on and on...we are in the top 3rd of overall defenses, with seven 1st round picks out there....sorry, but I expect a whole lot more...especially if we're talking superbowls...

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not really....if you watched closely, we have had several outstanding efforts from players in the back 7....Barron has been arguably the BPOT when he's on the field...I still can't believe it took an injury for him to get 100% of the defensive snaps.

..or something like that....with our current offensive production, I'd guess we need to get in the top 3 in both....to be a serious SB contender....There are no guarantees that this defense will get better...With the up coming FA's that need to be re-signed it could conceivably get worse... That's why we need to strike while the iron is hot....We may never have this amount of talent on the defensive side of the ball...This D should be better.....we allow to many yards to average to below average QB's....consistently....we allow too many 3rd down conversions....we give up too large of a cushion in the secondary....I could go on and on...we are in the top 3rd of overall defenses, with seven 1st round picks out there....sorry, but I expect a whole lot more...especially if we're talking superbowls...
Personally I'm VERY happy with the way the "D" is Playing!! It's the "O-Line" that needs to pick-it-up a couple of notches!! Our Pass protection sucks!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Our Pass protection sucks!!
Stop it Dave! That is NOT you!!! Have you had a snickers bar today?

Check out what Cig says about the QB...and the offense
View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/videos/videos/Frank_Cignetti_Press_Conference_1028/bd360c7a-e964-4255-a512-a7215bcf73d0

Change the play, audible...something....I hate to compare guys...but have you looked at the Pats O-Line? The age of some of these players? Experience level? They perform at a decent level...Know why? He gets the ball out of his hands...He knows where to go with the ball b4 the snap...He's studied his opponents tendencies...
How do you think our line could be so bad, and Todd Gurley avg. 6.0 yards a pop and avg. 110 yards a game? Get rid of the ball QB....We threw 3 deep passes last game...One was caught out of bounds, allegedly, but there was also a hold...The other 2 resulted in an DPI, and the 41 yard completion....3 deep passes, and I'd say 3 decent results...and guess what? None of the receivers were WIDE OPEN...It was go get the ball type throws, best man wins...This type of philosophy could go a long way in helping these young studs on the line...
I will say this Dave...this was Jamon Browns worst game as a pro....but guess what...I'd bet all my ROD$$$$ that the o-line has a great game vs the 9'ers...Lets see if the QB & receivers can follow suit.
And watch my boy Quick & my new adopted son Cook ball out...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Stop it Dave! That is NOT you!!! Have you had a snickers bar today?

Check out what Cig says about the QB...and the offense
View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/videos/videos/Frank_Cignetti_Press_Conference_1028/bd360c7a-e964-4255-a512-a7215bcf73d0

Change the play, audible...something....I hate to compare guys...but have you looked at the Pats O-Line? The age of some of these players? Experience level? They perform at a decent level...Know why? He gets the ball out of his hands...He knows where to go with the ball b4 the snap...He's studied his opponents tendencies...
How do you think our line could be so bad, and Todd Gurley avg. 6.0 yards a pop and avg. 110 yards a game? Get rid of the ball QB....We threw 3 deep passes last game...One was caught out of bounds, allegedly, but there was also a hold...The other 2 resulted in an DPI, and the 41 yard completion....3 deep passes, and I'd say 3 decent results...and guess what? None of the receivers were WIDE OPEN...It was go get the ball type throws, best man wins...This type of philosophy could go a long way in helping these young studs on the line...
I will say this Dave...this was Jamon Browns worst game as a pro....but guess what...I'd bet all my ROD$$$$ that the o-line has a great game vs the 9'ers...Lets see if the QB & receivers can follow suit.
And watch my boy Quick & my new adopted son Cook ball out...
Ok! Ok! Champs! I ran out of my party size Snicker, and had a Twinkie this morning! Maybe I shouldn't have substituted!!:LOL:
I liked the Video w/ Cig's! I just feel, for what-ever-reason the pass protection hasn't been what it should be!
YOU KNOW I LOVE MY RAMS, AND I AM ALWAYS AS UP-BEAT AS POSSIBLE!!
GO RAMS!!

addon.jpg

RamWoodie

Legend
Not if the offense doesn't get going! The defense can get tired late in the season! The offense HAS TO GET IT GOING!!!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So you only point out the negatives not the fact that we are the best in the red zone or the fact that we give up some of the fewest plays of 20 yards or more, or that we give them the easy yards as part of plan. The opposition yards and completion percentage means very little to me because as we saw last Sunday we want them to throw those passes because when we come to hit you better wrap up

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Worried if This is the year to strike while the iron is hot our WR's have the farthest to go , even over the OL development. JL is having very close to his best season I've ever seen him play and he is now ONCE AGAIN trying to do it all while hurt. His injury as he plays every "D" snap is freaking painfull to say the least while trying to CONTINUE to WRAP UP TACKLE. I'd like to rest JL (Warrior) for as many reps as we can if we get any leads against 9ers or Bears ETC... It really matters.

Keeping the Chemistry of Brockers who is just now hitting the SWEET SPOT of his Very High Grade career with Donald as those two together are UNBLOCKABLE by any front 3 in the NFL PERIOD. WE NEED Alec Ogletree at his high level to win in the playoffs and (MAYBE) to get their. Barron playing at his 213lbs is starting to show he will also be a MUST RESIGN as he fits G. Williams packages.

Hoping MO Alexander is a clone of Barron as I think that was the thinking when we drafted him. Don't want Barron Hurt to find out. Doug Worthington is getting his BIGGEST opportunity in his entire traveled career to fill his run stopping role starting this Sunday.

With proper cuts and some hearts will be broken if we try to keep the majority of this "D" group together for a SB run next season. I'm more for a young Veteran WR that has proven he can clutch catch and get seperation. Sometimes the college transition takes too long if you don't grab an early First rounder. Just like we NEED an Eifort type Go To TE that won't drop or fumble. The bengals have 3 wr FA's this offseason and we can grab one I'm sure. Look at what 5th rounder Diggs is doing for the Vikings. Hope JJ earns his money shutting him down in that Must Win game. (Next Week) WE need to stop allowing such high completion rates while we are getting 18 hurries ,7 hits and sacks. Especially from QB's rated at McCowns level. We are gonna face better soon.

The draft is AT LEAST (10) deep at talented starting DE's and the one I want would currently most likely last to the top of 2nd round in Baylors Freak built (Oakman) who would replace+ C. Long and his 14+ Mill hit. Love the man words can't say what he has given but at his real weight of 263lbs with pads and his recurring back,hip,ankle,knee etc injuries even 7-8 Mill is TOO HIGH. We need that money to be SB challenging.

We really can't have anymore lb injuries and if we had ALL our players plus a small upgrade we will compete where we have not for decades. Nick Foles must work on improving his read speed (consistency,Stop Drops.OL Pass Pro) Those 3 things corrected ,and WE CAN will give us the passing "O" we are missing.

Love the depth in LB's in this draft and pray we grab one or get Cam Lynch and Bates and Hager (who needs weightroom) more reps when we play lesser teams. Its a must they see the field. It may go as far as not spending too much to resign Greg Zuerline as he is starting to become average. I've checked the stats. Lets not fall in love with ANY player when we are SO CLOSE to having the recipe just right to make a Deep Run. We do play for the Lombardi after all.
Everyone has their own ideas on the exact reciepe . This is just mine without giving the total package of who stays who goes. Fairley and Ayers both need to upgrade their game to match the levels of their teammates to stay a RAM. And be consistant. It gets serious when you get this close to playing with anyone when we are Focused. We have not turned that corner yet either. I think we will. ITS TIME. NO INJURIES!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The best defensive metric is points allowed. It typically gives you the short list of true contenders by the time you get to the season's final stretch.

Big Willie

Starter
While I am happy with the defense so far, I still wish they wouldn't give us so many yards and completions early in games. They usually limit teams to field goals, but it would be nice to limit teams before they get to the red zone.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
or that we give them the easy yards as part of plan.
Really?

WE need to stop allowing such high completion rates
Exactly...
Lets not fall in love with ANY player when we are SO CLOSE to having the recipe just right to make a Deep Run. We do play for the Lombardi after all.
Always...Love the name on the front of the jersey...cheer for the name on front of the jersey...respect the name on the back....

While I am happy with the defense so far, I still wish they wouldn't give us so many yards and completions early in games. They usually limit teams to field goals, but it would be nice to limit teams before they get to the red zone.[/QUOTE]My point exactly....You can't expect to continue to keep good teams out of the end zone...You can't always hope for turnovers....

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really?

Exactly...
Always...Love the name on the front of the jersey...cheer for the name on front of the jersey...respect the name on the back....
I don't see how you can disagree with that. It's been stated numerous times that we give up the underneath routes to prevent big plays which is exactly why we have the best red zone defense and 1 of the best in the league in limiting big plays. Or did you not hear GW state that we play our safeties deeper than any Team