We Gotta Pound the Rock....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
After watching the SB it's never been more evident to me that the we need to beef up the OL. I know that's sounds rethorical but this is coming from a Watkins guy. Denver has a way better passing game than we do and their inability to run sealed their doom. (Im not even gonna get into their abysmal defense that does well against average AFC teams.

Many say we need to get Bradford help, me included, but giving Stacy help is the best thing we can do for Bradford. Bottom line is we do have some excellent receiving weapons but it will count for not if we are one demensionsal.

Here's another way to look at it. Even with Watkins our passing game wouldn't be as good as Denver's and you saw how that worked out. If we can run then we can beat anybody.

Lynch gashing Denver made it pretty easy for Wilson, who had a great game through the air and made several plays with his legs.

We saw on MNF how vulnerable Seattle looks when Stacy was making them look like an average defense and that was with Clemens in.

I don't think we have to retain Saffold to have success. I do beleive this draft is strong enough at OG and tackle to be our solution. It's going to be interesting what direction Snisher will go early in the draft. I hope they see what I saw. We gotta control the trenches or we'll get dominated...

We are close but some key decisions have to be made.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
After watching the SB it's never been more evident to me that the we need to beef up the OL. I know that's sounds rethorical but this is coming from a Watkins guy. Denver has a way better passing game than we do and their inability to run sealed their doom. (Im not even gonna get into their abysmal defense that does well against average AFC teams.

Many say we need to get Bradford help, me included, but giving Stacy help is the best thing we can do for Bradford. Bottom line is we do have some excellent receiving weapons but it will count for not if we are one demensionsal.

Here's another way to look at it. Even with Watkins our passing game wouldn't be as good as Denver's and you saw how that worked out. If we can run then we can beat anybody.

Lynch gashing Denver made it pretty easy for Wilson, who had a great game through the air and made several plays with his legs.

We saw on MNF how vulnerable Seattle looks when Stacy was making them look like an average defense and that was with Clemens in.

I don't think we have to retain Saffold to have success. I do beleive this draft is strong enough at OG and tackle to be our solution. It's going to be interesting what direction Snisher will go early in the draft. I hope they see what I saw. We gotta control the trenches or we'll get dominated...

Completley agree, you can't compete in this division without being able to pound the ball and play defense. You do that you can stay in the game against these teams and allow your QB an opportunity to make a few plays to help win a game.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Completley agree, you can't compete in this division without being able to pound the ball and play defense. You do that you can stay in the game against these teams and allow your QB an opportunity to make a few plays to help win a game.

Exactly, man. I think we are witnessing the beginning of a culture change in the NFL. It's a copycat league and you'll start seeing teams draft to the NFCW's format and coaching. Throwing the football is great... until that's all you can do and teams like Seattle make you completely one demensionsal and you're screwed.

Not to mention Seattle beat the hell out of Denver, physically. They didn't even need to trash talk much because Denver was already shell shocked beyond repair.

Above all, Seattle plays against STL, SF, and ARZ 6 times a year.

Who does Denver play? Chiefs? Chargers? Raiders? Lol... they werent ready.

A shocking outcome none the less...

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I agree.

My question is, how would you do that, if we don't re-sign Saffold. If he is re-signed things are much easier, just wondering what you think we should do if we dont in terms of the draft.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think in any event they need to bring in a front line OG, whether it is keeping Saffold or bringing in a FA. I think they also have to think about adding a C that can eventually handle Mebane, Docket and Justin Smith. Not sure Barrett Jones or Barnes is that player. Willing to use a draft pick for a C, if you can get a mauler in the 3rd. Then let Jones battle with a high draft pick for LG position.

So in a perfect world they move back a spot or two from #2, get an extra 2nd.. do the same at #13 and get another 3rd, then with your 6 premium picks (2 in each of the 1st 3 rounds) grab 2 offensive linemen and add a DT, CB, S, LB. In the middle rounds add a RT candidate as well for more depth at that position.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This game just proves defense wins championships. I think we need to take defensive players with the majority of our draft picks because fierce defensive weapons under Williams will do more good for us than talented offensive weapons under Schotty.

fearsomefour

Legend
The amazing thing with the division we are in (wasnt it a laughing stock just a couple of years ago?) is that we could add an upgrade at OLB, another quality CB, DT and S and STILL have the third best D in the division. All the front sevens are tough. I think the Rams can be improved. I think SF secondary is very overrated, Seattles secondary is the best in the game, Az is like ours, some talented pieces but young and growing still.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I agree.

My question is, how would you do that, if we don't re-sign Saffold. If he is re-signed things are much easier, just wondering what you think we should do if we dont in terms of the draft.
Yep. I'm the first guy to stand up and say Saffold is a fragile football player,but he's also the 2nd best OLineman currently on our roster in terms of talent,versatility and experience.
The draft is a crapshoot no matter where your picking. I'm not necessarily advocating a Saffold re-signing at all costs(i'm not a trainer nor an NFL scout) but this decision is going to be a big one.

Penguin.

Rookie
Long - *draft pic* - Barrett Jones - Saffold - Barksdale

Depending on the pic, this line could be one hell of a good one. I agree we need to pound the rock.

fearsomefour

Legend
It will be interesting to see what Jones brings to the table this year. He was said to need to add weight, get a lot stronger and work on technique heading into this year. That is a lot of fixes on the check list. Of course, having Wells there and Barnes there was no need to rush him. Really looking forward to see how he does next preseason.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

while i agree with your sentiment, lynch was pretty much a non factor until the seaderralls were leading 29-0. their d gave them that lead and wilson completing on 3rd downs also helping. the horrid broncos pass d also helped them.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
while i agree with your sentiment, lynch was pretty much a non factor until the seaderralls were leading 29-0. their d gave them that lead and wilson completing on 3rd downs also helping. the horrid broncos pass d also helped them.

Agreed. I haven't looked at the box score but Denver appeared to do a decent job on run D tonight by my eye test.
Honestly, Denver's D was put behind the eight ball all night long due to the offensive turnovers....and Seattle's tackling was solid.
Denver was tackling ok at the point of attack for the most part,but beyond the LOS and downfield they got sloppy and tired early IMO.
I agree with you that Denver's secondary failed on multiple levels. They looked slow to react and tired.

I'll have to check the avg starting field position for both teams...i'm guessing it was lopsided.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It will be interesting to see what Jones brings to the table this year. He was said to need to add weight, get a lot stronger and work on technique heading into this year. That is a lot of fixes on the check list. Of course, having Wells there and Barnes there was no need to rush him. Really looking forward to see how he does next preseason.
True. It's good to know that we've got Barnes there who is serviceable and experienced. Assuming that Wells is cut....if B.Jones isn't getting regular first/second team reps somewhere on the line by pre-season this summer i'm scratching my head on this pick.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
True. It's good to know that we've got Barnes there who is serviceable and experienced. Assuming that Wells is cut....if B.Jones isn't getting regular first/second team reps somewhere on the line by pre-season this summer i'm scratching my head on this pick.
Why does it always HAVE to BE "the pick"? I thought "the pick" was pretty good Jones was selected on potential ,that he hasn't and may never live up to that doesn't change that his upside was pretty impressive considering his high football and overall IQ.
I think Bama is seeming to be greater than the sum of their parts,they may just have some good coaching and it may be people need to be wary of overvaluing anyone from there dunno.
Not wanting to bust your chops but the draft is a very inexact science and overall I like how our "bust rate" is materializing. I'd like to see Jones step up and maybe he just won't take the right supplements cuz the knock on him always was his lack of dominating strength,maybe he's too smart.

fearsomefour

Legend
Why does it always HAVE to BE "the pick"? I thought "the pick" was pretty good Jones was selected on potential ,that he hasn't and may never live up to that doesn't change that his upside was pretty impressive considering his high football and overall IQ.
I think Bama is seeming to be greater than the sum of their parts,they may just have some good coaching and it may be people need to be wary of overvaluing anyone from there dunno.
Not wanting to bust your chops but the draft is a very inexact science and overall I like how our "bust rate" is materializing. I'd like to see Jones step up and maybe he just won't take the right supplements cuz the knock on him always was his lack of dominating strength,maybe he's too smart.
True. Sometimes guys just dont develop. A friend of mine was a first round draft pick out of high school in baseball. He was a left handed pitcher throwing up to 93 mph as a skinny 18 year old. Im sure scouts, because of his thin frame ect., projected him picking up velocity ect. When he finally retired last year he was throwing up to 92 mph. Just never took that final leap for a variety of reasons, one being injuries. So it goes with draft picks. To have a sound logic behind a pick is a great start. Jones was considered a great value because of where he was drafted in relation to his potential. He fell because of injuries. So, it was a risk/reward type thing like with all picks. If Jones needs time, great, give him time to develop. I would rather give the guy three years to get totally healthy and strong and polish up his game and have a quality starter for 10 years than chase him out early. He may never develop. This preseason may go along way to determining his future.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

pluss i think he was coming off an injury. i hope he is able to take the c or g spot and be above average

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Long - *draft pic* - Barrett Jones - Saffold - Barksdale

Depending on the pic, this line could be one hell of a good one. I agree we need to pound the rock.

Ya know we say that every year, seemingly. The injuries always turn our OL into musical chairs. Therefore I expect more of the same, or worse. It honestly makes more sense to expect it than not. I bet it starts with Long.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The goods is, given our NFCW training ground, that if we reach the playoffs we'll be ready to compete at an extremely physical level.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Wasnt BJ supposed to be one of the top OL in the draft last year? I know he was comin off an injury, but wasnt he considered a dominate OL at multiple positions in college? Very interested in his progress, if he put on the extra weight people say he needed I'm sure coach Bu has helped with his technique. He could be a very big boost on the OL. And allows the Rams to draft either a C or an OG whichever has the TPA, instead of having to draft one of the 2 based on need.