Wayne Hunter cut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
March 6, 2013 5:06 PM EST)
Rams released OT Wayne Hunter.
The gate swings closed. Acquired from the Jets on the eve of Week 1, Hunter was predictably incompetent as the Rams' third tackle last season, and slowed by back and knee issues. Going on 32, he's going to have a tough time on the open market. The move clears $4 million in cap space for the Rams, who need to aggressively address their tackle situation this offseason.
SOURCE: JIM THOMAS ON TWITTER

Its a start :dancin:

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147432/article/report-rams-release-ot-wayne-hunter?campaign=Twitter_atl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... witter_atl</a>

Wayne Hunter reportedly released by St. Louis Rams

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: March 6, 2013 at 05:25 p.m. Updated: March 6, 2013 at 06:01 p.m

Wayne Hunter's uneven NFL career has taken another unfriendly turn.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Wednesday the Rams have released the veteran offensive tackle. The move saves St. Louis $4 million in cap space and comes as no surprise.

Offseason Forecast: Bears
With the offseason under way, Around The League examines what's next for all 32 teams. Chris Wesseling covers the Rams. More ...
Hunter's stay in St. Louis was brief. The New York Jets shipped him to the Rams in August for another embattled tackle, Jason Smith. It was a case of two teams hoping a change of scenery would transform a pair of struggling players into productive ones. No dice: Smith was cut by the Jets last month.

Hunter -- savaged by New York fans before the trade -- struggled as a third tackle option in St. Louis, starting just four games. At 31 years old, Hunter will be challenged to find another starting role and, at this stage, must convince teams he's worth one final look.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
BatteringRambo said:
The gate swings closed. Acquired from the Jets on the eve of Week 1, Hunter was predictably incompetent as the Rams' third tackle last season, and slowed by back and knee issues. Going on 32, he's going to have a tough time on the open market. The move clears $4 million in cap space for the Rams, who need to aggressively address their tackle situation this offseason.

I thought he was very solid when in as a backup. Does Thomas even watch the games? But incompetent?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He did better than I thought he would as a Ram.
I'd take him back as a backup only for the Vets minimum if a young player can't be found.

Best of luck to him.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
rams24/7 said:
BatteringRambo said:

I thought he was very solid when in as a backup. Does Thomas even watch the games? But incompetent?

No he watches less games than he does training camp....Which is none.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Don't know if anybody posted it, but in related news, Jason Smith was cut a couple weeks ago. It will be interesting to see if he gets another chance by somebody.

jap

Legend
Hatchet man, Kevin Demoff, is on the move. Expect more to follow soon as the Rams clear space for some FA acquisitions/retentions.

Hunter was decent in some games, but 4M is a lot for a mere backup.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Still possible he could be re-signed for much less but I'm not holding my breath.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
RamFan503 said:
Still possible he could be re-signed for much less but I'm not holding my breath.
I'm hoping that's the case actually. I thought he he did a fairly good job. I don't really see any team throwing much money at him. He's probably more valuable to the Rams then to other teams, because he knows the playbook and spent a year in the system/with Boudreau. So I think he would probably play better here, then elsewhere.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
There was no way the Rams were going to pay Hunter $4mil this year - just didn't make any sense - has Steve Smith been shown the door too? There's no point in carrying dead weight...

jap

Legend
shaunpinney said:
There was no way the Rams were going to pay Hunter $4mil this year - just didn't make any sense - has Steve Smith been shown the door too? There's no point in carrying dead weight...

Do you really need to ask? :twisted: Whether it has happened or due to happen, just be sure it will happen. Who needs a veteran wideout who can't catch anymore for whatever reason?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Meh. All knew it was gonna happen.

Steve Smith signed a 1 year contract so he's a gonner.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I hope Barry Richardson is back. I feel a tad in the minority, but I think he's okay as a starter and terrific as depth.

Hunter, okay, maybe depth too. They both have some experience and that's not a bad thing to have with Saffold's injury history.