Waufle to Buffalo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/15/bills-hire-mike-waufle-as-defensive-line-coach/

The Bills have added another experienced piece to Sean McDermott’s coaching staff.

The team announced on Saturday that they have hired Mike Waufle to coach the defensive line. He joins linebackers coach Bob Babich on the staff under defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

Waufle spent the last five seasons coaching with the Rams, who had a strong defensive line against both the run and the pass over that period. Waufle has also had two stints with the Raiders and a six-year run with the Giants since moving into the professional ranks in 1998.

Waufle has experience in 4-3 defenses, which is where the Bills appear to be headed after hiring McDermott and Frazier. However the Bills line up, a big part of Waufle’s job will be trying to help defensive tackle Marcell Dareus return to disruptive form up front.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Makes sense. It's a great fit for both.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Makes sense. It's a great fit for both.
Yup.

Now....about that avatar:

A5pVJ.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I would have guessed Buffalo had waffles already.

793133.jpg

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I liked the dude because of Hard Knocks. Thought he was kind of the outcast on Fisher's laid back staff, being ex military and all. But I always thought he was kind of overrated by use fans. Our defensive line only had fifty seven first round draft picks, and were still inconsistent and played undisciplined.

I know my opinion isnt a popular one on here, but Im kinda glad we didn't retain him.

jap

Legend
I liked the dude because of Hard Knocks. Thought he was kind of the outcast on Fisher's laid back staff, being ex military and all. But I always thought he was kind of overrated by use fans. Our defensive line only had fifty seven first round draft picks, and were still inconsistent and played undisciplined.

I know my opinion isnt a popular one on here, but Im kinda glad we didn't retain him.

The old culture change. Nobody, save the special teams guys who generally performed well, gets to have a comfort zone. All must bow down to Little Caesar (aka Sean McVay).

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well the offensive line had a second overall pick, two second round picks, and a third round pick and it was one of the worst units in the league. Give credit to Waufle for being able to mold that talent into something usable. Brockers especially. He was really the only raw/upside guy that worked.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Well the offensive line had a second overall pick, two second round picks, and a third round pick and it was one of the worst units in the league. Give credit to Waufle for being able to mold that talent into something usable. Brockers especially. He was really the only raw/upside guy that worked.

I get your point, but nobody on our offensive line comes close to the talent level of Donald, Quinn, Brockers, Long, etc.

And how the offensive line performed is irrelevant when discussing the consistent problems involving the defensive line.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame

This. Rams fans should know better than anyone that a first round pick - even a very high one - is no guarantee that a player will contribute at the NFL level. Credit to Waufle for ensuring all of our high picks on the defensive line met their potential and expectations. That is no sure thing.

Plus, Waufle also did a good job developing our "lesser" talents providing us with solid DL depth. Westbrooks, Fox, Trinca-Pasat, Longacre. Those guys can all contribute. It never seems like we have a total "bust" on the DL, no matter how we acquire the player be it early in the draft, late in the draft, or as an UDFA.

In terms of free agent signings, Waufle took diverse skill sets and saw them all met and/or exceed expectations while integrating into a complex defence seamlessly. Thomas, Fairley, and Easley all performed to their contracts.

It really sucks seeing Waufle go.

Having said that, since we did have so many 1st round picks on the defensive line, I am cautiously optimistic we can find an adequate replacement. Surely, there are other positional coaches out there who can succeed if provided with that level of talent.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get your point, but nobody on our offensive line comes close to the talent level of Donald, Quinn, Brockers, Long, etc.

And how the offensive line performed is irrelevant when discussing the consistent problems involving the defensive line.
Before Waufle Quinn was a guy who didn't even dress on a few games his rookie year. Before injuries took over he was one of the best DEs in the league. Brockers was raw. He is a very solid DT. I feel Donald would have been good if I were the line coach. Then you have Hayes who developed nicely along with other contributors. The Rams thought so much of Greg Robinson's talent that they picked him over Donald. They compared him to Pace. Maybe if they had a coach of Waufle's level on offensive line they would have developed him too.