Watkins would be good for Bradford/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Watkins would be good for Bradford
By Josh Weinfuss

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/123696/watkins-would-be-good-for-bradford

When Sam Bradford returns to the field in 2014, he could find himself with a bevy of options to throw to.

The St. Louis Rams may be looking to add another target to its already stout arsenal of receivers, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Schefter reported Wednesday morning that Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins will visit the Rams on Monday and then St. Louis will hold a private workout with him on April 18. The Rams have already upgraded their receiving corps with the signing of Kenny Britt but adding Watkins would propel the Rams' receivers into the upper echelon of the league's pass-catching units.

And St. Louis needs it. Watkins caught 101 passes for 1,464 yards and 12 touchdowns last season for the Tigers.

After losing Bradford after seven games to a torn left ACL, the Rams went on to post the 27th best passing offense per game and were ranked 22nd in passing yards per play. That’ll naturally improve with Bradford’s return, but adding Watkins to a lineup that already includes Tavon Austin, Austin Pettis, Chris Givens and Britt, as well as tight ends Jared Cook and Lance Kendricks, would make the Rams as dangerous as any team in the league on any given play.

It'd also be another building block for the future. With the exception of Cook and Britt, the longest-tenured Rams of that group listed above are Kendricks and Pettis, who've both been in the league for three years.

With Bradford surely wanting to impress in his return to the field -- and with the arms race in the NFC West heating up seemingly by the day -- a receiver like Watkins would just be another weapon in an already improving cache.

NateTheRam

Rookie
Name
Nathan
Watkins will be good for ANY QB, but with him in our lineup Tavon, Bailey, Britt and Sammy.... I think we got something here guys.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That's not Wagner. Also, the fact that the Weinfuss guy did not even mention Bailey in his list makes me wonder where his heads at......

RamzFanz

Damnit
That's not Wagner. Also, the fact that the Weinfuss guy did not even mention Bailey in his list makes me wonder where his heads at......

I know. That's silly.

"Watkins caught 101 passes for 1,464 yards and 12 touchdowns last season for the Tigers."

Bailey caught 114 passes for 1,622 yards and 25 touchdowns in his last season.

So either Bailey is better than Watkins or those stats don't always mean a whole lot for a rookie WR in the NFL.

Bailey had ZERO dropped passes last season. He made some game changing plays on special teams. He is certainly worth mentioning.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think Bailey will be a key this year. But I don't see us adding Watkins as our offense is going to be a run first and pass when it's set up. Too many are missing that "Jeff Fisher" factoid. But I see us "holding serve" w/ the receivers we got and find out how to utilize what's there.....instead of who someone in the media has picked out for us.
But back to Bailey, I can see that kid turning into someone who could be referenced as a #1. He was certainly someone who could be depended on down the stretch of last season. Now give him a QB (Bradford...), who can get him the ball on time and in the right places. the kid is going to light them up.

NateTheRam

Rookie
Name
Nathan
I concur on Bailey, the kid is a stud. We need to give him the ball more this season and we will.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think Bailey will be a key this year. But I don't see us adding Watkins as our offense is going to be a run first and pass when it's set up. Too many are missing that "Jeff Fisher" factoid. But I see us "holding serve" w/ the receivers we got and find out how to utilize what's there.....instead of who someone in the media has picked out for us.
But back to Bailey, I can see that kid turning into someone who could be referenced as a #1. He was certainly someone who could be depended on down the stretch of last season. Now give him a QB (Bradford...), who can get him the ball on time and in the right places. the kid is going to light them up.

I agree. He's going to be special. I'm not sure he can be a #1 because a #1 needs either elite speed or height IMHO, but a star #2 could be in the making.

My hope is Rams are able to successfully play #1 by committee with Givens / Britt / Quick. If that works, with Austin, Bailey, Cook, and Kendricks on the field and Bradford throwing, they'll be fine in the passing game.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
You got to remember, it's not the media version of a #1 receiver. It's the numbers. And I believe once you look at the overall numbers, Bailey will be targeted a very close pct to most of the "#1s. Just remember Ellard. He wasn't the fastest or the biggest....he just cranked out numbers every year. Same could be said about Bruce. And while that's not really fair to drop those names next to him, I think we'll be pleased w/ his output.