Watkins Weight Issues Make St. Louis Rams Thin at Guard

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Chuck Chapman
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sportsmedia101.com/stlouisrams/2013/07/25/rokevious-watkins-weight-issues-make-st-louis-rams-thin-at-guard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sportsmedia101.com/stlouisra ... -at-guard/</a>

16OTHc9.jpg

With the release of 2012 5th round pick Rokevious Watkins, apparently due to the inability to meet conditioning and/or weight requirements, the St. Louis Rams find themselves a bit short on experienced depth at guard. As the Rams training camp officially starts at 3:30 pm CST on Thursday, it wouldn't be surprising if another guard was signed soon.

The remaining offensive guards heading into camp are Harvey Dahl, Shelley Smith, Chris Williams, Brandon Washington, Barrett Jones, and Ryan Lee. There are only three players with NFL experience: Dahl (7 years), Smith (4 years) and Williams (6 years).

Harvey Dahl will be coming off of bicep surgery, after missing the final two games last year, but should be ready to go. He will continue to bring toughness and leadership to the right side of the offensive line.

The front runner for the left OG appears to be veteran Chris Williams, who came to the Rams in October 2012 and played several games last year at guard. He was ultimately re-signed by the Rams to a 1-year deal this offseason, showing the Rams liked what they saw in limited action. Originally drafted in 2008 as a blind-side protector by the Bears, Williams may have found a home on the inside and should see plenty of first team reps.

Also in the mix for first team reps will be Shelly Smith. Smith played in eleven games, starting six in 2012. He was part of a unit that did not allow a sack the last two games. A smaller and quicker guard who may fit well in an up-tempo offense, look for Smith to challenge for a starting position before it is all said and done.

Of the players with no NFL experience, rookie OG/C Barrett Jones appears to be the most likely candidate to leapfrog Williams/Smith for an opportunity to start. The Rams made Jones their 4th round pick in 2013, and the highly decorated lineman was considered a strong draft day value by many. It is expected that Jones should be available in a few weeks after rehabbing a winter foot surgery.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
News Bot said:
By Chuck Chapman
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sportsmedia101.com/stlouisrams/2013/07/25/rokevious-watkins-weight-issues-make-st-louis-rams-thin-at-guard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sportsmedia101.com/stlouisra ... -at-guard/</a>

16OTHc9.jpg

With the release of 2012 5th round pick Rokevious Watkins, apparently due to the inability to meet conditioning and/or weight requirements,[hilite]the St. Louis Rams find themselves a bit short on experienced depth at guard.[/hilite] As the Rams training camp officially starts at 3:30 pm CST on Thursday, it wouldn't be surprising if another guard was signed soon.

[hilite]The remaining offensive guards heading into camp are Harvey Dahl, Shelley Smith, Chris Williams, Brandon Washington, Barrett Jones, and Ryan Lee. There are only three players with NFL experience: Dahl (7 years), Smith (4 years) and Williams (6 years).[/hilite]

Harvey Dahl will be coming off of bicep surgery, after missing the final two games last year, but should be ready to go. He will continue to bring toughness and leadership to the right side of the offensive line.

The front runner for the left OG appears to be veteran Chris Williams, who came to the Rams in October 2012 and played several games last year at guard. He was ultimately re-signed by the Rams to a 1-year deal this offseason, showing the Rams liked what they saw in limited action. Originally drafted in 2008 as a blind-side protector by the Bears, Williams may have found a home on the inside and should see plenty of first team reps.

Also in the mix for first team reps will be Shelly Smith. Smith played in eleven games, starting six in 2012. He was part of a unit that did not allow a sack the last two games. A smaller and quicker guard who may fit well in an up-tempo offense, look for Smith to challenge for a starting position before it is all said and done.

Of the players with no NFL experience, rookie OG/C Barrett Jones appears to be the most likely candidate to leapfrog Williams/Smith for an opportunity to start. The Rams made Jones their 4th round pick in 2013, and the highly decorated lineman was considered a strong draft day value by many. It is expected that Jones should be available in a few weeks after rehabbing a winter foot surgery.
I fail to see how the loss 1 lineman who played part of 1 game makes us short on experienced depth.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
That was my take, but the headline was good.
Probably right we're gonna sign another one , I expect if Rok was at the facility as much as he promised ,they saw this coming.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not gonna hate on Rok, but let's face it; he failed to do what he needed to do. Plus, he is suspended to start the year... clearly he's not got his act together.

Like Quixote, I don't see how losing Rok (with his experience and performance to date) is all that significant. There will be a lot of "Rok-like" players at the roster cuts that we can kick the tires on if we so choose.

Besides, there are some names there I'm equally if not more excited about than Rok.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The article is kinda true. We really don't have a lot of experience at guard. Even Rok with his limited experience, was no sure thing. This just kinda highlights how people figured he was penciled in as a day 1 starter, while others didn't see it that way at all.

The site from which that article originated is new. The founders are acquaintances on Twitter and asked if we would like to help contribute in some fashion. Naturally I said yes, but I think it will be limited to using our videos and RODcasts. Anyway, those guys are fairly knowledgeable and articulate, but most of all they're Rams FANS. That should eliminate some of the ill informed comments we've been seeing from other digital rags.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don't think the loss of ROK hurts the Rams very much other than "there goes another full-of-potential guy gone". When a guy shakes loose from another team that has a better skill set than the bottom guy on the Ram's roster, another move will be made and the Guard position will get stronger. That's all.

fearsomefour

Legend
He had contributed part of one quarter of one game. The Rams are in the same place there were without him. No loss in that sense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ramhusker said:
I don't think the loss of ROK hurts the Rams very much other than "there goes another full-of-potential guy gone". When a guy shakes loose from another team that has a better skill set than the bottom guy on the Ram's roster, another move will be made and the Guard position will get stronger. That's all.
I don't think it was an issue of lack of skill in as much as Fisher doesn't put up with slackers.

McFly.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
I don't think it was an issue of lack of skill in as much as Fisher doesn't put up with slackers.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

And what better way to send that message.

No messing around here.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
CGI_Ram said:
X said:

Sent via Tapatalk2.

No messing around here.

Not to pick what you said apart CG ,but JMO Fisher isn't sending messages any more to second year guys ,he made the determination that the message came back in Rok's case marked "Returned to sender un-deliverable" and Fisher is just doing what a coach does when he gets that back.

I think everyone knows that and THAT Fisher isn't going to belabor that point is part of his effectiveness.

Reminds me of the John Wooden /Bill Walton story about the showdown over Walton's hair
Walton: "I'm not cutting my hair"
Wooden: "We'll miss you"
Walton: "Huh?"

If the benching of JJ and Givens before a showdown with the 49r's last year "message" wasn't enough for ALL to "get", those who didn't are just dumb and FWIW ,I sorta think THAT, not his weight ,is Rok's biggest problem,you can fix weight problems ,stupid is irreparable.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thordaddy said:
CGI_Ram said:
X said:

Sent via Tapatalk2.

No messing around here.

Not to pick what you said apart CG ,but JMO Fisher isn't sending messages any more to second year guys ,he made the determination that the message came back in Rok's case marked "Returned to sender un-deliverable" and Fisher is just doing what a coach does when he gets that back.

I'm not sure I see the difference. I mean, to the player - Fisher sent his message last year.

To the team, he might not be sending a message directly (that doesn't sound like Fisher) but they see the teeth of Fisher and that's the message they get.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
CGI_Ram said:
Thordaddy said:
CGI_Ram said:
X said:

Sent via Tapatalk2.

No messing around here.

I'm not sure I see the difference. I mean, to the player - Fisher sent his message last year.

To the team, he might not be sending a message directly (that doesn't sound like Fisher) but they see the teeth of Fisher and that's the message they get.

It's nuance entirely CG, I just meant that he ain't doin this for any "effect" it's down to the pragmatic now,Fish ain't lookin back to see IF Rok's getting it any more ,I doubt two weeks from now he's saying "if only" about the guy.

We cut our best wrestler last year ,kid was on schedule to be a 4 time qualifier ,the messages weren't getting through, at that point you just pull the trigger.

Just different perspective on a word , as Dennis Miller says "I could be wrong".

BTW is it KARMA that your avatar is kinda emblematic of "Rok"s disease" :lmao:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think he forgot a OG named Kevin Saia who is a 6-2 310 pounder. Saia started 40 consecutive games @ LEFT OG for Louisiana Tech. Last years back up @ center for both Wells & Tuner was Tim Barnes was a OG for most of his college career until his senior season when he started @ Center. So here's how I see the OG cadre. I did not list Scott Wells because he is already the starter @ center.

#1-Harvey Dahl (Starter)
#2-Chris Williams (Starter)
#3-Shelley Smith (OLG & ORG starter in 2012)
#4-Tim Barnes (Rams 53 player roster 2012 & PS in 2011)Brandon Washington (PS in 2012) (6th rd draft pick of the Eagles 2012)
#5-Barrett Jones (2013 4th rd Ram draft picks)
#6-Brandon Washington (Rams PS 2012)
#7-Kevin Saia (UDFA)
#8-Ryan Lee (UDFA)

The OL'ers in Blue should be solid entrenched Rams in 2013. I will once again state that the real bonified OL concern is not the interior OL cadre its the Swing OT. If you are depending on Barksdale you will be sorely disappointed.I believe that the Rams are pretty well set @ the interior for TC & Pre season myself.