Watkins vs Evans? My Scouting Reports!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Great post and well thought out. I would take either of theses guys ... but I just feel the Rams won't take one in Rd. 1 with as deep as this draft is a the WR position. Maybe they surprise us. I hope. Maybe they double dip at schools like they did with TA and SB last yr?? .... Boyd and Watkins? Hmmmm.

Alan

Legend
RamsAndEwe with this:
If the 49ers could get the 33 pick in the draft, plus a conditional pick in 2014 draft for Alex Smith, then the Rams could always trade away Johnny Manziel for similar draft currency.

The Rams are on the verge on competing for a playoff spot. We want to insure we have a quarterback who can lead them to the Super Bowl, within the next 3 years. I think Manziel will be an all pro QB, so of course I would pick him at 13. Will it happen? No way!

Someday soon our beloved Rams will be so good, that we will have to have a backup QB who can win, if Bradford goes down to injury.

To me, that appears to be a false equivalency when you compare Alex Smith to Manziel. The Whiners got that much in trade for a proven QB who had just lead them to the NFC West championship the previous year and was again proving his chops in the NFL (not college) until his concussion. A second round pick and a lower round pick in the next draft is also not close in value to #13. To think that we'd get anything like that for a QB who hadn't played a down in the NFL (remember we're talking about Sam being a success) is, IMO overly optimistic to say the least. Even if we were to get our money back, so to speak, with another #13 pick in another very deep draft, we would still have lost because we would have lost a years worth of development time for whichever player we actually do draft at #13 this year.

Having said all that, insurance isn't free. That's an extremely high price to pay though and if the worst doesn't happen you've set us back in our quest to win the SB in the next three years. Many of us here agree that we should take out an insurance policy in case Sam doesn't pan out or gets injured and that's why we want to draft a QB lower in the draft to develop behind Sam and or trade down for an extra 1st rounder next year in case we need to draft a QB.

When you say "Will it happen?", your answer of "No way!" is probably correct because of the fact that the Rams would also think the price is too high. In addition to the fact that Manziel probably won't be there at #13 like you've said.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Cardncub joining the fun:
Awesome report Ewe! Good work.
Welcome to the ROD Card! (y) :welcome: :party: :sup: :lifting: :seizure: :rockon: :cheers:
It's great that you decided to join our little community. I think you'll like it here.
images

“We speak not only to tell other people what we think, but to tell ourselves what we think. Speech is a part of thought.”
Oliver Sacks

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I could write a lot about Manziel. I've seen every play of his college career, and some of his high school tape. Yet, it has been my experience that discussing a new Rams QB starts board wars. Sometimes I wonder if my favorite team is the Saint Louis Sams. lol

I will say this about Manziel. Manziel is a true leader. ( of course you can't lead in the NFL unless you produce on the field) Manziel's teammates would follow him into hell and war!

Johnny Manziel is very smart. He has been practicing his baseball slide, because he knows he can't take a bunch of NFL type hits. Johnny knows the sideline is his friend, and he will run out of bounds often. He's not like RG3. RG3 believed his own hype, and thought he was Superman. RG3 didn't know every defender carries a pocket full of Kryptonite in every devastating hit.
We all remember Manziel's Heisman year. Did you know that in 2013, Manziel ran 65 less times and threw 14 more TD's then his Heisman year.

If Manziel slips to 13 I would run to the podium and draft him. Yes I would. There is no way Johnny slips that far. How do I know? I've seen every play in every game in Johnny Football's career. Besides his big play magic, I've never seen a right handed QB in college or the NFL roll left as well as Manziel and throw accurate 55 yard passes. Manziel is uber deadly rolling either way, but he may roll left better than right. Kurt Warner watched Manziel, and Kurt said, "There aren't 10 QB's in the NFL who can make the throws Manziel makes."

That's good news for the Rams! Manziel will be gone by the fifth pick. No way in hell he slips past Tampa Bay at 7! The more QB's picked in the top 10, the more positional players for us, and the more trade value power our #2 pick accumulates. There will be at least 3 quarterbacks off the board by the time our 13 pick rolls around. Mark my words.

I sincerely believe that also. I'm betting two in the top 5 picks.

Cardncub

Rookie
Welcome to the ROD Card! (y) :welcome: :party: :sup: :lifting: :seizure: :rockon: :cheers:
It's great that you decided to join our little community. I think you'll like it here.
images

“We speak not only to tell other people what we think, but to tell ourselves what we think. Speech is a part of thought.”
Oliver Sacks

Thanks for the welcome Alan.

Cardncub

Rookie
*"Wait...i know you."
Good to see you. Welcome. Just be sure to behave in here :)

*random Skyrim reference

No problem with that Mojo. I'm a good friend/brother with PhxRam. Kinda adopted the Rams as my 2nd team.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
images

Oliver Sacks

Did you see that avatar Al? Might wanna check his ID again

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
No problem with that Mojo. I'm a good friend/brother with PhxRam. Kinda adopted the Rams as my 2nd team.
Just teasing ya my friend. I don't post much over there anymore, but i do a lot of lurking. Maybe you me and PhxRam can crash the party at U of P this year when the Rams come to town...:LOL:

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To me, that appears to be a false equivalency when you compare Alex Smith to Manziel. The Whiners got that much in trade for a proven QB who had just lead them to the NFC West championship the previous year and was again proving his chops in the NFL (not college) until his concussion. A second round pick and a lower round pick in the next draft is also not close in value to #13. To think that we'd get anything like that for a QB who hadn't played a down in the NFL (remember we're talking about Sam being a success) is, IMO overly optimistic to say the least. Even if we were to get our money back, so to speak, with another #13 pick in another very deep draft, we would still have lost because we would have lost a years worth of development time for whichever player we actually do draft at #13 this year.

Having said all that, insurance isn't free. That's an extremely high price to pay though and if the worst doesn't happen you've set us back in our quest to win the SB in the next three years. Many of us here agree that we should take out an insurance policy in case Sam doesn't pan out or gets injured and that's why we want to draft a QB lower in the draft to develop behind Sam and or trade down for an extra 1st rounder next year in case we need to draft a QB.

When you say "Will it happen?", your answer of "No way!" is probably correct because of the fact that the Rams would also think the price is too high. In addition to the fact that Manziel probably won't be there at #13 like you've said.

I know the Rams won't risk a first round pick on a quarterback. So I don't fret over it. I accept Les and Jeff's judgement.

True Story! Daniel Jeremiah (ex NFL scout and NFL Network Mock draft expert) smiled and looked deep into the TV EYE of the Evil NFL Network camera last Thursday and and exclaimed,

"Want to know how to throw the draft into Kaos Folks? What if the Rams shocked the Entire NFL by picking Johnny Manziel with their #2 Pick!?!" Jeremiah mischievously grinned and glanced, eyes aglitter as he placed the Johnny Manziel Magnet next to the Rams #2 Pick!

Last edited: