Watkins’ Unselfish Attitude Pays Off on Field

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Watkins%E2%80%99-Unselfish-Attitude-Pays-Off-on-Field-/580141fc-355c-4a12-bbc8-2b727584693c

Watkins’ Unselfish Attitude Pays Off on Field

Kristen Lago Rams Writer/Reporter

In the NFL, wide receivers are known for a few things — their athleticism, their sure handedness, and, often, their selfish outlook on the game. At most times, it’s the big-name wide receivers, not the tight ends, nor the running backs, who prove to be the most outspoken about wanting the ball.

And while it’s rare to find a top-flight wideout who doesn’t outwardly prioritize his own stats and targets, that’s exactly what the Rams have in Sammy Watkins.

“I’m just realistic,” he said. “You’ve got Robert Woods, you’ve got Cooper Kupp, you’ve got Pharoh Cooper — we have so many guys where I can be honest and say they can go out there and make any play and run any route. I’m not in a situation where I’m just the one wide receiver.”

But he wasn’t always singing that tune.

The Clemson product spent his first three pro seasons as the Bills’ No. 1 wideout. And when Watkins wasn’t getting the targets he wanted in Buffalo, he spoke out loud and clear.

Admittedly, Watkins said he was consumed by his numbers, concerned with just three things: me, myself, and I.

“I was a statistics, an ego guy in Buffalo. I was all about numbers and it wasn’t healthy for me, my teammates, or my coaches,” Watkins said. “So now I really focus on my teammates being happy and winning. And so far it’s been going well.”

When Watkins was first traded to the Rams in early August, however, he said “there were definitely some tests.” After all, he was brought to L.A. on the premise of providing a dynamic No.1 style receiver with the ability to stretch the field.

But after a couple of games with the club, he quickly realized he wasn’t going to be the star of the Rams receiving room — at least not in the traditional sense.

“At first I was definitely like, ‘What is going on? I’m not getting the ball,’” he said. “At first I wasn’t taking it well mentally. And then I finally started recognizing like, ‘Hey this is what’s going on, this is all a part of the game.’”

“I really had to evaluate the situation in myself,” Watkins continued. “I would rather win than get 180 yards, 15 targets and then be hurt when the focus is all on me. Here the focus is not on me, I have so many guys that can help — help each other and help myself out with the game.”

Now, Watkins says he gets to have fun again, playing the game he loves with a smile.This season he has caught

28 passes for 490 yards and five touchdowns. But as quarterback Jared Goffsaid, many of the good things Watkins does on field “go unnoticed, because it doesn’t show up on the stat sheet.”

“He just plays hard on every snap,” Goff said Sunday, after the Rams 26-20 victory over the Saints. “I think that’s something you never have to worry about him, is his effort. Every snap whether he’s blocking [or] he’s running a route, you know he’s aggressive and physical. He’s fun to watch once he gets the ball in his hands, that’s for sure.”

“Everything happens for a reason. Now it’s starting to play out where I’m playing at a high level, I’m blocking, I’m not being selfish and I’m playing hard,” he said. “And now the ball is slowly starting to come my way and we’re winning.”

And winning, he said with a laugh, is a better feeling than any targets or number of yards could provide.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hopefully this new 'we' attitude translates to a successful 'unit' rather than a focus on 'me' style stats like many fans & players are apt to do. I've got to believe McVay's philosophy is rubbing off on many of his players, and just maybe Watkins re-signing is made easier. jmo.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
This is music to my ears. Addressed my main concern with re-signing Watkins. He's definitely better than his stats. I've seen a few times where he is pretty much the reason Kupp has so much room on mid crossers, dude is growing up before our eyes.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would love to see Watkins sign a long-term deal at the end of the season.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If we had a losing record right now, I'm not sure he'd be very happy.

But, on a side note, I don't see us keeping Tavon next season for 15 million, so there will be plenty of cap room to resign Watkins.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

But, on a side note, I don't see us keeping Tavon next season for 15 million, so there will be plenty of cap room to resign Watkins.

Austin's CAP hit drops to $8.mil next season. Still too much, but cutting him in 2018 also triggers a $5.mil 'dead money' CAP hit.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Austin's CAP hit drops to $8.mil next season. Still too much, but cutting him in 2018 also triggers a $5.mil 'dead money' CAP hit.

Rams should calculate tavons market value next year and offer to rework his contract for maybe 15% above that. If he says no then go with the guys we have.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully, this attitude change sticks once Woods is back.

Ram65

Legend
That report from Cosell that Sammy has been open validates the need to keep him. Would like to see him and Goff continue to improve their connection.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
“I was a statistics, an ego guy in Buffalo. I was all about numbers and it wasn’t healthy for me, my teammates, or my coaches,” Watkins said. “So now I really focus on my teammates being happy and winning. And so far it’s been going well.”

I would rather win than get 180 yards

He's matured and grown since his days in BUF. That's fantastic. The locker room vid that was posted a few weeks ago was also great to see. When he said "nah, I've got enough money" it was refreshing.

Would love to see Watkins sign a long-term deal at the end of the season.

Me too, this is a productive unit and is really good for the passing game as it is in this era.

The "true #1" thing is dead and has been for a decade IMO.

Yeah, and he said that he is happy with winning. I don't know anyone that isn't selfish that would be unhappy with that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had this attitude before Woods got hurt.

He played with Woods, he knows that guys can play too.

He certainly didn't have this attitude all season. I would love for this to be true and stay that way.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's matured and grown since his days in BUF. That's fantastic. The locker room vid that was posted a few weeks ago was also great to see. When he said "nah, I've got enough money" it was refreshing.

what was this ? i missed it ? do you have a link ?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
what was this ? i missed it ? do you have a link ?

It was posted in a thread here. He was relaxed about the entire process.

@jrry32 Watkins has been chilled out about things all year. He knows there are guys who can play and catch.

fearsomefour

Legend
Rams should calculate tavons market value next year and offer to rework his contract for maybe 15% above that. If he says no then go with the guys we have.
This would be ideal.
Rams have about $51M in available space for 2018 as of now....after the Ogletree resigning.
The team has an absolute slew of FA. Every dollar they can free up will help.
I would like to see some additions in FA but it may enough to avoid a mass exodus.