Watkins Ready if Called

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner

Watkins_Feature_420_310_Sept412.jpg

Since missing the opening days of training camp after reporting to camp over the target weight set forth by the Rams coaching staff, Rokevious Watkinshas made a number of changes.

Obviously, a big part of those changes came in terms of his diet, his approach to working in the weight room and all that goes with shedding pounds. But when Watkins stepped on the scale earlier this week, it was clear why he’s gone from not being able to practice to being poised to potentially start week one Sunday in Detroit.

“I came in overweight,” Watkins said. “I was like 357 (pounds), I weighed in at 334 a couple days ago so I got my weight down where it needs to be. Now I am just trying to master the system and take in as much information as I can.”

The sooner Watkins can master, or at least get a good working grasp, on the offense, the sooner he is likely to contribute. After the Rams released guard Quinn Ojinnaka over the weekend, the vacancy sign above the left guard position began to flash brighter than ever.

With two practices between now and Sunday’s opener, the Rams have two obvious options to handle the job: the rookie Watkins or veteran utility lineman Robert Turner.

Watkins said Wednesday he hasn’t been informed of where he stands one way or the other yet but he’s not letting that decision affect his preparation for a Lions defense with a dominant front four.

“I haven’t been told,” Watkins said. “I am just going with the flow and taking the information from coach and just trying to learn as much as I can come Sundays, be as prepared as I can. If my number is called, I’ll be ready.”

In the span of little more than a month, Watkins has made great strides. After he was able to return to practice with the rest of the team, he found himself behind the curve at a position that seemed ripe for competition.

But that competition never materialized, at least not in terms of working with the first team. In fact, Watkins got few opportunities to work with the starting offense and had to slowly work his way up the depth chart.

Watkins cut out his favorite meal – hamburgers and french fries – and focused more on eliminating carbs and eating more fruits and vegetables and drinking more water.

Despite the weight loss, Watkins said he actually could stand to put some of it back on so long as he’s doing it the right way.

“I am nowhere near where I need to be,” Watkins said. “I have got a long way to go so I am just going to keep working at it.”

Watkins’ one month makeover hasn’t been limited to altering his diet and working on cardio. He’s quickly taken to offensive line coach Paul Boudreau and been consistent in seeking help on technique from the Rams’ grizzled line coach.

“He helps me a lot,” Watkins said. “He helps me a whole lot because he is making it simpler for me to understand because there is a bunch of information that is new to me so I am able to pick up on it a little faster than normal so I’m just going to keep working and listening to everything he has to say and do everything he tells me to do.”

Considering Watkins’ size and run blocking abilities, he would seem to be a natural fit for the Rams offense. Nearly from the moment the Rams drafted him in the fifth round in April’s NFL Draft, he’s been groomed to take over one of the guard spots.

The question doesn’t seem to be if Watkins will be the Rams’ starting left guard but when. Whether it’s Watkins or Turner this week, coach Jeff Fisher said he feels good about the group of five the Rams will put on the field even if they aren’t as calm heading into what figures to be a hectic atmosphere in Detroit.

“I’m comfortable,” Fisher said. “They’re working well together, they’re communicating right now. I’m comfortable with the guys we have playing. It’s hard to find an offensive line that’s comfortable going to Detroit – I’ll put it that way – with the guys they’ve got.”

For his part, Watkins acknowledges that he’d love to be the starting left guard from week one but if he’s not he’ll continue pushing toward that goal.

“Oh, of course,” Watkins said. “I wouldn’t be playing football just to sit on the bench. That’s something I want but like I said, I am happy with my position. I am just going to keep working.”

READ MORE: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... ca884b6573

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
From a team/roster standpoint, Watkins is the better candidate to start, so that Turner can back up all the interior positions.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
From a team/roster standpoint, Watkins is the better candidate to start, so that Turner can back up all the interior positions.
Think he's ready for THAT defensive line? Talk about an initiation!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
Think he's ready for THAT defensive line? Talk about an initiation!
Like Fisher said...Will anybody be comfortable playing their defensive line?

I wish he would have gotten reps with the one's, I really don't understand why he didn't. I guess they were on the fence about Mattison before the last game.

I don't know if Watkins will start the first game, but ultimately we are a stronger offensive line unit with him starting.

Talk about baptism by fire if he does start, right?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He played college ball in the SEC and goes against the Ram DL every day @ practice. I don't think it's if he can play, it's playin on par w/ the NFL vets every play.