Watkins puts premium on fitness

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/watkins-puts-premium-on-fitness/article_aa699ee4-09f1-5ab4-b0c0-0426782b3fb1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... b3fb1.html</a>
Watkins puts premium on fitness
OK, so you’re not going to see Rokevious Watkins in ESPN The Magazine’s Body Issue any time soon. But he’s getting there.
The Rams’ second-year offensive guard doesn’t look anything like the rookie who was held out of practice at the start of training camp a year ago because he was so out of shape. After a severe ankle injury in Game 1, his rookie season became a waste. Since then, it’s been all his waistline.

“I’m getting to where I need to be,” Watkins said during practices this week. “Working on being in the best shape of my life.”

The player known as “Rok” isn’t sure how much weight he’s lost over the last year. The official team roster, which listed him at (a generous) 338 pounds for the 2012 season opener in Detroit, still lists him at 338 this spring.

It took about half of the 2012 season – maybe a little bit longer – for the ankle injury to heal. Since then his single focus has been conditioning under the watchful eyes of strength coach Rock Gullickson or Reggie Scott’s athletic training staff.

“I’m getting the conditioning under control, my weight under control, and just being able to lock my body down physically,” Watkins said.

Even during the current spring practice period, Waktkins said he’s working out twice a day. “I’m always doing cardio after (practice),” he said.

The Rams had high hopes for Watkins when they drafted him in the fifth round out of South Carolina in 2012. And still do. He’s a strong man with road grader tendencies as a blocker. It has been said on more than one occasion that when Watkins gets his hands on a defender, more often than not, it’s over.

“He’s the kind of guy that has unbelievable strength and power,” offensive line coach Paul Boudreau said at the end of the 2012 season. “He just needs to learn how to play fast and play hard for four quarters.”

Entering the NFL, Watkins also was the kind of guy that needed more reps and as much playing time as possible as a rookie.

“But he killed himself coming in with the conditioning that he had,” Boudreau said last December. “But he now understands, he’s in the NFL. I think he knows he has to be ready to play physically at the tempo and the style that we do.”

It’s yet another variation of a familiar theme for young NFL players – learning what it takes to be a professional. Watkins sounds as if he has gotten that message. That message was drilled in further last month by his one-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

“It’s all on becoming a full-time professional,” Watkins said. “And then doing what you’re supposed to do at all times. Even when nobody’s looking.”

Which entails doing those things on a consistent basis, day after day, almost on a year-round basis. Watkins got in trouble weight-wise last year during the five-week break between the end of the spring practice period and the start of training camp in late July.

“He had a little trouble pushing himself away from the dinner table,” a chagrined coach Jeff Fisher said at the time.

For Rams veterans, they are only a week away from completing their 2013 spring practice period and another long break before camp.

“Rok needs to continue to focus on his conditioning, continue to focus on his weight, and focus on his football,” Fisher said Thursday. “This will be a big challenge for him. Last year when he left, he came back – let me just say – he did not meet his weight requirement when he reported to camp. This year, he needs to do that when he comes back. Make sure he’s down.”

When asked if he was concerned about how Watkins would handle this year’s five-week break, Fisher replied: “Yes. And that’s been expressed to him.”

But mom’s home cooking shouldn’t be a problem this summer because Watkins says he’s staying in St. Louis over the break.

“I’ll be here all summer working with (Gullickson),” Watkins said. “Twice a day. I’m not going nowhere. I’ll be right here at 1 Rams Way.”

Watkins is eager to play and eager to put that tough rookie season in the rear-view mirror.

“I don’t want to play like the 50th-worst draft pick in the (St. Louis) Rams’ history,” Watkins said, laughing.

He was in fact rated No. 50 in April on Stltoday.com’s list of the team’s worst draft picks since the Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995. Watkins can change all that with a strong showing in 2013 and beyond. The left guard spot remains wide open, but Watkins has been working mainly as the second-team right guard behind Harvey Dahl this spring.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Guy had all the potential. Lets see if it pays off! Hope so

bluecoconuts

Legend
Glad he is focused I think he can become a long term answer at LG with Jones taking over at C. Hopefully he stays on course.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I kinda lost some hope hearing how Fish answered questions about him in the last interview. Come on big guy - show why we drafted you.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Watkins had actually paid attention to his body and been fit in college I wonder what he could have achieved? I don't think he'd have lasted until the 5th round. No matter how he turns out with the Rams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
“It’s all on becoming a full-time professional,” Watkins said. “And then doing what you’re supposed to do at all times. Even when nobody’s looking.”

^That tells me his head is in the right place.

Last year Rok came to the Rams sort of like how I view Barrett Jones; he didn't have an NFL body. He was spongy.

If he builds that NFL physique, and it appears he's on his way, this could be a guy to watch at left guard.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So Rok Watkins is working on the RIGHT side not the left side of the OL? And veteran Chris Williams who was a early mid 2012 season waver wire pick up working with the no#1's @ OLG. I wonder who is working @ the no#2 OLG post? Shelley Smith? or Brandon Washington? Anyone know?

This first Fisher Ram drafted OL'er seems to have had a lot of drama surrounding himself since his selection. Looks like most everyone has him as our next starting OLG since the 2012 draft. Rok sure has made it hard on himself to this appointed OLG post. We all know his 2012 season was a full bust. Before the training camp opens we find out that Rok is suspended for the first game. Drama continues....

Now Rok is no longer a sure lock on the starting OLG post ...wonder what lies ahead now? I am not surprised by what we have seen thus far...I posted back much earlier before the draft that Watkins could be considered a very good finesse, big-bodied, versatile positional blocker with the mass, arm length and athletic ability to plug in at multiple OL positions. at the moment Fisher has a boat load of OLG candidates who have played & started @ the OLG post many times in college & the NFL i.e. Shelley Smith, Chris Williams, Brandon Washington & Kenny Saia. All of these four were primarily LEFT side starters!

What seems to be lacking is right side players particularly @ RIGHT OT. Watkins started 27 games for two years @ South Carolina. 19 games on the left & 8 games on the right. 12 games @ OT & 15 games @ OG. Those 27 starts were @ four different positions. Rok worse games came when he was forced due to injury to play OLT where Rok really struggled to protect the edge on that LEFT side. In his senior season he won & played his best college ball while playing RIGHT OT. His last college game he played & started @ RIGHT OG & was very impressive.

When you do your homework on Rok Watkins this is what you would have discovered.....very long arms (35 inch) with natural girth (330 lbs). Good foot quickness & agility for a big man (just a hair under 6-4). Natural knee bender. Solid pass protector. Flashes a strong punch. Good functional base strength. Can position and wall off defenders.......

If Boudreau refurbishing project succeeds with Chris @ starting OLG where he would have Jake 6-7 320 & Chris 6-6 320 protecting Sam's blind side..then Boudreau will need a versatile player who can play many OL posts. Looks to me that the right side (OT & OG) would be a very good place to get Rok as much action as possible.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BonifayRam taking us to school:
So Rok Watkins is working on the RIGHT side not the left side of the OL? And veteran Chris Williams who was a early mid 2012 season waver wire pick up working with the no#1's @ OLG. I wonder who is working @ the no#2 OLG post? Shelley Smith? or Brandon Washington? Anyone know?

This first Fisher Ram drafted OL'er seems to have had a lot of drama surrounding himself since his selection. Looks like most everyone has him as our next starting OLG since the 2012 draft. Rok sure has made it hard on himself to this appointed OLG post. We all know his 2012 season was a full bust. Before the training camp opens we find out that Rok is suspended for the first game. Drama continues....

Now Rok is no longer a sure lock on the starting OLG post ...wonder what lies ahead now? I am not surprised by what we have seen thus far...I posted back much earlier before the draft that Watkins could be considered a very good finesse, big-bodied, versatile positional blocker with the mass, arm length and athletic ability to plug in at multiple OL positions. at the moment Fisher has a boat load of OLG candidates who have played & started @ the OLG post many times in college & the NFL i.e. Shelley Smith, Chris Williams, Brandon Washington & Kenny Saia. All of these four were primarily LEFT side starters!

What seems to be lacking is right side players particularly @ RIGHT OT. Watkins started 27 games for two years @ South Carolina. 19 games on the left & 8 games on the right. 12 games @ OT & 15 games @ OG. Those 27 starts were @ four different positions. Rok worse games came when he was forced due to injury to play OLT where Rok really struggled to protect the edge on that LEFT side. In his senior season he won & played his best college ball while playing RIGHT OT. His last college game he played & started @ RIGHT OG & was very impressive.

When you do your homework on Rok Watkins this is what you would have discovered.....very long arms (35 inch) with natural girth (330 lbs). Good foot quickness & agility for a big man (just a hair under 6-4). Natural knee bender. Solid pass protector. Flashes a strong punch. Good functional base strength. Can position and wall off defenders.......

If Boudreau refurbishing project succeeds with Chris @ starting OLG where he would have Jake 6-7 320 & Chris 6-6 320 protecting Sam's blind side..then Boudreau will need a versatile player who can play many OL posts. Looks to me that the right side (OT & OG) would be a very good place to get Rok as much action as possible.
:good1:
So in ROK we're probably looking at Dahl's replacement if he pans out of course. Jones is probably going to be Wells replacement so that means we're still looking for a OLG. I guess that's why people are thinking Williams.