Watercooler Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
QUESTION: If Steve Spagnuolo is fired at the end of the season, who would you put at the top of your candidate list as a replacement, whether it be a recycled NFL coach, a current NFL coordinator or someone from the college ranks.

BRYAN BURWELL
If Spagnuolo is going to be replaced – and once again let me go on the record saying he should not be replaced – I would prefer seeing someone with a proven head-coaching resume get the job. With a deep-pockets owner, a young franchise QB already in place, tons of salary cap space and the potential to dangle the No. 1 or No. 2 overall pick, I don’t want to hear any nonsense about this job being unappealing. So if this is the route Kroenke chooses, he should go after all the best available prospects who seem to be interested in returning to coaching, and that list has to begin with Jeff Fisher.

JEFF GORDON
I’d have Jeff Fisher on top of my list. He has built teams with strong running games and sturdy defenses in the past. There is still potential to do that here despite the 2-13 showing so far this season. Fisher has some history with the organization. He is a proven coaching commodity with an impressive track record. He would bring instant credibility to a franchise needing it.

STU DURANDO
Jon Gruden and Jeff Fisher are the names getting the most hype these days and either would be a solid choice. Of the two, I like Gruden’s personality and potential to generate an immediate spark within the organization and fan base. But if it came down to St. Louis and San Diego, would he opt for the Chargers and the San Diego climate? Neither was a consistent winner but they have nearly identical winning percentages in the NFL – Fisher .542 and Gruden .540. I was surprised to find that Fisher has only six winning seasons out of 17 years. Gruden has six in 11 years. If neither works out, bring back Dick Vermeil for a few years to jump start things.

JOE LYONS
My top choice would be Jeff Fisher. He had a long and successful run before being fired by the Titans and always seemed to get a lot out of his teams in Tennessee, especially on defense. He is someone who is respected around the league and who could hopefully give the Rams an opportunity for a quick turn-around.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/round-two/if-spags-is-fired-who-takes-over/article_6c35b658-3235-11e1-ac24-0019bb30f31a.html#ixzz1hxCwGpsD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... z1hxCwGpsD</a>

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
:sick: :dangit: :pizzed: :censored: :flip: :ahahah: :grr: :nono: :twisted:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Angry Ram said:
Well to be fair, the question was IF Spags was replaced. Burwell even said he wouldn't replace him.

I think one of these PD writers needs to do an article on Belichiks tenure as head coach for the Cleveland Browns. Maybe some of the fans who are turning on Spags will wake up and realize that maybe getting rid of someone just for the sake of getting rid of them is not a brilliant idea.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
brokeu91 said:
Angry Ram said:
Well to be fair, the question was IF Spags was replaced. Burwell even said he wouldn't replace him.

I think one of these PD writers needs to do an article on Belichiks tenure as head coach for the Cleveland Browns. Maybe some of the fans who are turning on Spags will wake up and realize that maybe getting rid of someone just for the sake of getting rid of them is not a brilliant idea.

It's not that, it's their choice of coach. Fisher kool-aid!!! Drink it up now!!!

Ohhh what a taste of their own medicine. Damn Fisher apologists! :lmao:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Bring Tom Osborne in! :sly:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
QUESTION: If Steve Spagnuolo is fired at the end of the season, who would you put at the top of your candidate list as a replacement, whether it be a recycled NFL coach, a current NFL coordinator or someone from the college ranks.
Glad to see everyone is still using the word, "if", when contemplating this issue. I still think Stan does NOT fire either Spags or Devaney, and hires a CEO to direct the show and report to him. Now, the CEO could make that decision at a later date, but I think Stan will defer to the person he eventually delegates to that role.

steferfootball

Starter
interference said:
X said:
Glad to see everyone is still using the word, "if", when contemplating this issue. I still think Stan does NOT fire either Spags or Devaney, and hires a CEO to direct the show and report to him. Now, the CEO could make that decision at a later date, but I think Stan will defer to the person he eventually delegates to that role.
I think it would be more of a team president (IIRC we dont' have one). The rams are privately owned.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I certainly HOPE they get rid of Spagnuolo. He has earned a pink slip. And I'm not just pointing to the team's record. Spags just doesn't do enough things right to think he's going to magically get better as a lame duck.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
moklerman said:
I certainly HOPE they get rid of Spagnuolo. He has earned a pink slip. And I'm not just pointing to the team's record. Spags just doesn't do enough things right to think he's going to magically get better as a lame duck.
Your opinion, of course.

Anonymous

moklerman said:

Yeah the lame duck thing is bad so my argument is they should just extend him.

He doesn't do enough things bad to fire him, he does some things at an absolutely superior level, and the 2011 record is due to factors no coach can control.

So there! We have your opinion. We have my opinion. And SK will do what he wants.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
moklerman said:

Yeah the lame duck thing is bad so my argument is they should just extend him.

He doesn't do enough things bad to fire him, he does some things at an absolutely superior level, and the 2011 record is due to factors no coach can control.

So there! We have your opinion. We have my opinion. And SK will do what he wants.
Perrrrrrdy much. :bg:

NI Ram Fam

UDFA
Does anyone else have any other HC's to suggest IF the inevitable(?) occurs?

I've heard a few thinks about Rob Chudzinski being an option, but personally I'd rather have someone with experience that would command some respect.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone else thinks.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
NI Ram Fam said:
Does anyone else have any other HC's to suggest IF the inevitable(?) occurs?

I've heard a few thinks about Rob Chudzinski being an option, but personally I'd rather have someone with experience that would command some respect.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone else thinks.

Besides Mike Zimmer and Chudzinski I cant really think of any other NFL coordinators, but Id also look at anybody in Green Bay lol. Some teams will start taking their position coaches/coordinators soon, especially if they win the SB again. Tom Coughlin could be let go by the Giants if they lose on Sunday. Raheem Morris may be out in Tampa. We all know about Gruden, Cowher, and Fisher. Eric Mangini. Im just throwing out names lol.

One college coach Ive always been intrigued with: Les Miles. Do you guys think he gets a shot at a NFL HC job soon? Could he make it in the NFL? Hes just a fun coach, and his players love him. I have heard very little about any college coaches that people wanna see in the NFL soon.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
I've thought the same thing about Les Miles. He always seems to get the most out of his players year in and year out. I think he's probably the most NFL ready coach in the college ranks right now.

GO RAMS!!!!

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I like my opinion best. :hehe:

I don't care who is coaching...as long as we start winning.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
If Uncle Rico decides to fire Spags, I'd hope they pursue Brian Billick. He's got a better winning percentage and ran a WC offense, plus he's had plenty of other successful assistants continue on without him so he knows how to surround himself with quality people. I don't think he's opposed to returning to the game, but I'm pretty sure he'd ask for a bit more than the other names floating around out there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
. . . Uncle Rico :sly: