Watch Cowboys vs. Rams 1973

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is when I started rooting for my beloved Rams...NFL Game of the Week with Ray Scott Narrating....Look at those great uniforms not blue & yellow, blue & yellow gold with wide horns and watch at the beginning of the 2nd half where they show an young special team coach Dick Vermeil...Enjoy Gentlemen because it did not get much better than this:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Wow! Thanks for posting, den!

That was a fun 22 minutes.

So many happy memories of that game and that season.

What an amazing OL and DL we had.

And Hadl and Jackson put on a play action clinic, didn't they?

So many future HOF players on both teams played that day...

Again, can't thank you enough for posting, man.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great Game!! Wonderful seeing Merlin in their Playing along side Jack Youngblood!
Couldn't help but draw comparisons with this '73 squad and today's New Team! Set up to run 1st but fully capable of a passing attack! and more ..

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
did mr ray scott actually call Lawrence McCutcheon "Larry"??

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
This is when I started rooting for my beloved Rams...NFL Game of the Week with Ray Scott Narrating....Look at those great uniforms not blue & yellow, blue & yellow gold with wide horns and watch at the beginning of the 2nd half where they show an young special team coach Dick Vermeil...Enjoy Gentlemen because it did not get much better than this:

Brought back a ton of great memories.
Thanks Den.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
did mr ray scott actually call Lawrence McCutcheon "Larry"??

Yes he did and he also called CB Eddie McMillian "Jimmy" McMillian who was a forward for the Los Angeles Lakers.

I posted in a previous thread that Lawrence McCutcheon has a brother named "Larry." but back in the day announcers did that to put more of a human element into the broadcast.

Howard Cosell was notorious for including the middle names of players like Joe "Willie" Namath and Francis "Asbury" Tarkenton. That required research unlike today where everything is on Google.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
You are the man den!! Believe it or not, I remember that game. Thanks so much for that awesome ride down memory lane. and

LOVE them wider horns!!!!!! Now that's what I'm talking about.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Back when the Rams had hot female fans Lol
st-louis-rams-cheerleaders-1981-2012.jpg

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Not afraid to admit I was in the 10th grade that year, here's what I remember;

1) What a front 7 - Brooks, Olson, Youngblood and Dryer (The BODY Line) Isiah Robertson, Ken Geddes and Hacksaw Reynolds, Elmendorf and Preece (later replaced by Bill Simpson) I remember Eddie McMillan, can't say I recall Charlie Stukes.

2) Broadcast team of Dick Enberg and...Don Drysdale - as far as I'm concerned the greatest broadcast team ever.

3) Check out David Ray...yeah I remember him, he actually was listed as a back up WR in addition to PK.

4) The LA Coliseum had a capacity of well over 90,000 back then, it was practically full (as per the norm before you know who... inherited:mad:)

5) Hadl to Jackson was one helluva lethal combo (just ask Charlie Waters)

Nice reference to Coach V, as I recall he took the UCLA Head Coaching job the following year.

Way to go Den!(y)(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just to add a little to my earlier comparisons between the 73 squad and todays. Hadl brought in to 'Manage things' not necessarily win with his arm (ala Foles) A strong running game, and a tough Defense! this all conjures up feels, Like "This is what Fishers trying to bring to town!! A Rams Squad like the 73 one, today, would work just fine!!

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes he did and he also called CB Eddie McMillian "Jimmy" McMillian who was a forward for the Los Angeles Lakers.

I posted in a previous thread that Lawrence McCutcheon has a brother named "Larry." but back in the day announcers did that to put more of a human element into the broadcast.

Howard Cosell was notorious for including the middle names of players like Joe "Willie" Namath and Francis "Asbury" Tarkenton. That required research unlike today where everything is on Google.

I understand what you're saying, I just remember Lawrence McCutcheon's "nickname" being "dont call me Larry"...... for the reason you just mentioned. i think he was a rookie that year, so maybe it happened enough to where he made that known. Cant believe they almost blew that big ole lead they had .

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Pretty sure I attended that one. Great stuff!

Just loved re-watching Harold on get behind their secondary. And also, did you notice that quick glimpse of a young Lawerence on the sideline after that final INT (@20:58)?

Really appreciate you posting. Just love seeing the old Coliseum.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cant believe they almost blew that big ole lead they had .

Yes and I so remember that game being 7 years of age and it was actually nationally televised I kept yelling "Cover Stowe, Cover Stowe." Remember my parents running down stairs asking what was wrong and I said "that number 41 can't cover Stowe."

My parents knew then where my passion was and that was before pop warner that started at 8 years of age back then.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would love to see the Rams start 5-0, as they did in 1973!!:snicker::shades:

…..

Legend
I dont understand how these men can make a play, a touchdown, a sack, an interception....and simply hand the ball to the ref and run off the field? No dancing, no celebrations, no chest thumping? Its almost as if they had made plays before. Really Strange.:whistle:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coach Landry's "a little too short" old man pants were awesome. Thanks for sharing.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Coach Landry's "a little too short" old man pants were awesome. Thanks for sharing.

With white socks and the old Spot-Bilt coaching shoes (before Nike) those were the days!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I dont understand how these men can make a play, a touchdown, a sack, an interception....and simply hand the ball to the ref and run off the field? No dancing, no celebrations, no chest thumping? Its almost as if they had made plays before. Really Strange.:whistle:

Kids of today have a hard time understanding that it's not about "Me", it's about "We." Social Media makes everything about Me, however, breaking up via a text...I would have embrace that philosophy back in my day although the "It's not you, it's me and you deserve better." was a formula for a successful goodbye.