Was this Sam's best performance yet?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I was thinking about this last night. I know Sam "only" had a QB rating of 105, he lost a fumble, missed a possible TD on a too short pass to Givens, and didn't make a big throw on third down on the last drive. I know all of that, you don't have to remind me (believe me everyone on RamsTalk already has).

But this was the most clutch I have ever seen Bradford play since coming to the NFL. The score tied in the fourth quarter, our starting C out, the offense out of sync, and he engineers a TD scoring drive including a great throw to Gibson. The next drive, the Rams march down the field, this time without their starting LT too. He makes some clutch third down passes and the Rams take the lead with 2 minutes to go. I fully believe if the roles were reversed, and Sam had 2 minutes, the way he started playing in the fourth quarter, he could have taken the team down and scored.

If Sam plays like he did in the fourth quarter for the entire game against the Skins, it could be a big win.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I saw a lot of more experienced QBs play worse yesterday.

Juss sayin.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:

Juss sayin.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

I'm just curious, not being sarcastic at all, but what QBs played worse in your opinion?

I didn't see any other games except for parts of the Broncos game.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
max said:
X said:

Juss sayin.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

I'm just curious, not being sarcastic at all, but what QBs played worse in your opinion?

But for two drops the Lions guy woulda had 5 ints. so you saw one of'm.
If he'd been throwing to our guys the way he did, we'd have trounced them

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
X said:

Juss sayin.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Stafford, Cassel, Hasselbeck, Vick, Eli?

Sent via Tapatalk2.

RAMilyGuy

UDFA
Not statistically, but he finally flashed a bit of the clutch gene that I've been praying we'd see from him. I did not expect 2 late 4th quarter scoring drives, in a very hostile road environment from Sam, but I'm stoke by what I saw. He did what needed to be done.

Of course, I'd really preferred he got the TD on the second one, but we got screwed up by the play clock problems.

Now, I'm still waiting on Long to flash that clutch gene and get a big sack to win the game. He could've put it away for us on that last drive.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Not really, but I bet if all else remains same, I think the O is gonna grow. I wanna see more Quick/Givens in there. They need to be better at moving the ball early...no more stupid 3 and outs. The Lions moved the ball, and then the D would stop 'em around the 50...and get Amendola forced to call a fair catch @ the ten. Unlike Detroit who always had GREAT field posistion b/c the Ram O couldn't move the damn ball. That's BS and I'm sick of seeing drives start at the 10 or less.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
SJ YPC= 2.5 on 20 plus carries
DR YPC= 10 on 2 carries

The Saints only attempted 10 running plays and 52 passes against Wash.

Sam had to throw from too many known passing situations in a place where his o-line couldn't hear him.

I think NEXTweek is his best EVER.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Late drives and clutch quarterback play means everything to Sam. Go back and read some of the interviews he had after close games in 2010. He understands that it separates the good from the great. He wants the ball in that situation.

He didn't have a bad game, but it wasn't his best. That's for damn sure. He looked and played confident the entire game though. No turnovers as well.

As the game went on the offense found a sight rhythm. You could kind of see an identity emerging. The whole team got better this week though. I can confidently say that. Idk about the "moral victory" shit, but there are definitely things to build on and great lessons to learn from this game.

The play calling was meh imo, but you could actually see a gamplan which was nice. We're going to need to find a way to take advantage of the stacked boxes. That was fucking ridiculous at times. Seriously, just max protect and send Givens. Idk why in the fak we didn't run Richardson more either. HE IS READY. I love Jackson, but Richardson needs more carries.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I believe, and I'm not 100% on this so don't lynch me if I'm wrong, that when Richardson came in for Jackson, the Lions defense adjusted to defend the pass, which allowed him to get bigger runs.

I do think that they should get Richardson involved more, but I think the biggest thing that would help is getting the passing game in sync, and as mentioned earlier as the game went they got more comfortable. Once we can get Quick and Givens contributing regularly, I think we'll see the offense start to roll better. Yesterday the Lions stacked the box when Jackson was in because they didn't respect the pass. When Richardson came in they didn't respect the run. Our passing game was unable to take advantage early.

As the offense gets more and more comfortable I think that when teams don't respect the pass Bradford is going to burn them deep. When they play back, Jackson will get into the secondary and run the safety over. I can see where the offense is heading, and I think it's good.

Baby steps for sure, it's a work in progress. But as long as yesterday wasn't a fluke, I think we all see that light at the end of the tunnel finally. Get your shades ready because the future is bright.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
max said:

He's not more experienced, but Weeden is certainly among them. He had one of the worst statistical days in history. Only one other QB has done as poorly(4 ints and passer rating of 5) as he did yesterday since 1990.

Bradford played well yesterday, especially given SJs unusual lack of production. The offensive movement was due almost entirely due to Sam. I dont think thats was his best game tho. I would say he had 2 better games in his rookie year. Verus SF and Denver.

We havent seen him at his best yet. IMO

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:
Not really, but I bet if all else remains same, I think the O is gonna grow. I wanna see more Quick/Givens in there. They need to be better at moving the ball early...no more stupid 3 and outs. The Lions moved the ball, and then the D would stop 'em around the 50...and get Amendola forced to call a fair catch @ the ten. Unlike Detroit who always had GREAT field posistion b/c the Ram O couldn't move the damn ball. That's BS and I'm sick of seeing drives start at the 10 or less.

Field position was a major issue in the 2nd half. We had to reshuffle the OL after Wells left the game and that was a big factor, and penalties continue to kill our drives. Those other WRs just need to be getting more reps with Sam, we already know he has good chemistry with Danny, Gibson, and Kendricks is coming along, but thats not enough, especially against good teams.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
max said:
X said:

Juss sayin.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Vick really struggled. Even though the Saints put up 30+ points, Brees did not put up good stats (3 TDs, 2 INTS, 46% completion percentage).

Iron Lion

Starter
Thordaddy said:

Lol, "the Lions guy." Yeah our Lions guy is a good passbacker. Also we have a great catchbacker that #81 guy. Your Rams guy is a beast of a runbacker though I'll give you that.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Iron Lion said:
Thordaddy said:

Lol, "the Lions guy." Yeah our Lions guy is a good passbacker. Also we have a great catchbacker that #81 guy. Your Rams guy is a beast of a runbacker though I'll give you that.
Whatever that means , Calvin makes your guy, period , just makes him,if he went down ,you would be in a major hurt.
The FACT that he HAD NO touchdowns proves the day the rest of your guys had was because we did all we could to take him away.

Had we won, and Sam had thrown three ints. and had two others dropped ,I'd be worried that other teams would see what went on there and that it was the shape of things to come .

I read you post about the "elephant sitting on your chest" JMO but the elephant has found a good place to sit, better get used to it.

And yeah I'd take Bradford over your guy, I can't see Sammy wouldn't be just as good or better if he had Calvin to throw the ball up and say "take it from em CJ", think about this,HOW MANY of those INT's and bad throws that were dropped,were because Stafford has bad habits CJ covers up?

JMO but you have the third best QB in your division ,clearly we have the best in ours,just sayin'.

Iron Lion

Starter
Thordaddy said:
Iron Lion said:
Thordaddy said:

Whatever that means , Calvin makes your guy, period , just makes him,if he went down ,you would be in a major hurt.
The FACT that he HAD NO touchdowns proves the day the rest of your guys had was because we did all we could to take him away.

Had we won, and Sam had thrown three ints. and had two others dropped ,I'd be worried that other teams would see what went on there and that it was the shape of things to come .

I read you post about the "elephant sitting on your chest" JMO but the elephant has found a good place to sit, better get used to it.

And yeah I'd take Bradford over your guy, I can't see Sammy wouldn't be just as good or better if he had Calvin to throw the ball up and say "take it from em CJ", think about this,HOW MANY of those INT's and bad throws that were dropped,were because Stafford has bad habits CJ covers up?

JMO but you have the third best QB in your division ,clearly we have the best in ours,just sayin'.

Well if you completely take away Megatron's production from last year, Stafford still has 3300 yards and 25 TDs, which is better than many QBs. So even if you just throw an average #1-caliber WR in there he's easily at 4000 yards and 30+ TDs. Just sayin.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Iron Lion said:
Thordaddy said:
Iron Lion said:
Thordaddy said:

Well if you completely take away Megatron's production from last year, Stafford still has 3300 yards and 25 TDs, which is better than many QBs. So even if you just throw an average #1-caliber WR in there he's easily at 4000 yards and 30+ TDs. Just sayin.
Nah that ain't how it goes,a lot of those 3300 yards were easy pickens cuz people were double and tripple covering Meg.
You guys are Suh and Meg and evabody else along for the ride.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Iron Lion said:
Thordaddy said:
Iron Lion said:
Thordaddy said:

I think what he's referring to, is the fact that Megatron draws double and triple teams. So not only can he heave it down field and if it's in a 5 yard radius, CJ will go up and get it. But because he's able to do that, guys who would be double covered have single coverage which makes it easier to pass to them. If you give Sam that type of security blanket it can really help the offense in so many ways. Right now, the Detroit WR core is just much better than ours. This makes Sams numbers not look so great, and boosts Staffords.

That beings said, I don't think Stafford is the 3rd best QB, I think he's the second best, behind Aaron Rogers. I believe he's better than Christian Ponder and Cutler is an over-rated cry baby.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
brokeu91 said:
Iron Lion said:
Thordaddy said:
Iron Lion said:
Thordaddy said:

I think what he's referring to, is the fact that Megatron draws double and triple teams. So not only can he heave it down field and if it's in a 5 yard radius, CJ will go up and get it. But because he's able to do that, guys who would be double covered have single coverage which makes it easier to pass to them. If you give Sam that type of security blanket it can really help the offense in so many ways. Right now, the Detroit WR core is just much better than ours. This makes Sams numbers not look so great, and boosts Staffords.

That beings said, I don't think Stafford is the 3rd best QB, I think he's the second best, behind Aaron Rogers. I believe he's better than Christian Ponder and Cutler is an over-rated cry baby.
If Cutler had Meg, he'd have been in a Super Bowl by now.
hell if Ponder had Meg the Vikes would be hell on wheels, Stafford COULD be the worst QB in that division.

Iron Lion

Starter
Lol ok, Megatron eats up double coverage. But the Lions are one of the worst running teams in the league so Stafford is throwing against DB-heavy defenses rather than 8-man boxes.

Just like how your Sam should have shredded our bad+injured secondary, our RBs should have shredded your bad+injured DTs.

Thordaddy said:
Stafford COULD be the worst QB in that division.

I agree.

Firstly we should just completely vacate the 5000 yards and 41 TDs because he has the best WR in the league.

Also the 27-3 comeback @ DAL last year should be vacated because the defense helped out. The other comebacks he has of 21, 20, 17, and 13 points do not count because he should not have been losing to begin with.

The blowout wins of 45 points, 35 points, and 28 points last year do not count because they came against AFC West opponents.

What we are left with, folks, is a guy who won only a handful of games and had zero passing yards or TDs.