Was the Colt's #1 the best the Browns could get?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I somewhat (not really!) understand the Browns trading Trent Richardson but I really find it hard to believe the Colt's #1 (will probably end up being somewhere in the 23-28 area) pick is the best offer the Browns could get. The Colts fans have to be ecstatic over this trade! I would like to think the Rams (and, other teams as well) would have shown an interest in Richardson (call me stupid but I would have traded the Rams 1 pick for Richardson). I also would have thought that the Browns would had preferred to trade Richardson to an NFC Team. Again, I could be totally wrong, but I think Richardson will have a very successful NFL career IF he can stay healthy!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Besides cap issues, and everything else.

The story is that the Colts contacted the Browns after losing their running back for the year. So, they weren't actively shopping Richardson, which I tend to believe, because EVERYBODY was shocked by it.

I highly doubt that it came across our GM's desk, or most of the GM's desks. It's appears that there is something fishy about them trading him though. I don't believe that he wasn't a scheme match.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:

The story is that the Colts contacted the Browns after losing their running back for the year. So, they weren't actively shopping Richardson, which I tend to believe, because EVERYBODY was shocked by it.

I highly doubt that it came across our GM's desk, or most of the GM's desks. It's appears that there is something fishy about them trading him though. I don't believe that he wasn't a scheme match.

I do agree that a trade with the Rams probably couldn't have happened (or, at least it would have been very difficult!) due to the Rams cap situation but I still personally believe the Browns could have gotten more if they had made it known (and, maybe they did but I agree with you again that I don't think they tried too hard to make it public). Andrew Luck and Trent Richardson have to be two of the happiest guys in the NFL right now!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
DR RAM said:

Yeah. There is something fishy.

Usually when a team is interested in moving a guy, other teams know.

The Rams weren't the only team that knew Faulk was available.

Teams usually try to get the best deal.

When was the last time a team traded their first rounder for a RB? My guess is the Walker deal.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the colts will be lucky to go 8 and 8.

they barely beat the raiders t home and lost to the fins at home. now they're gonna get beat down by the whiners and then face the seagulls and broncos in their next 4 games. they will be 3 and 4 heading into their bye.

the browns just got themselves a top 15 pick for trich.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
kurtfaulk said:

they barely beat the raiders t home and lost to the fins at home. now they're gonna get beat down by the whiners and then face the seagulls and broncos in their next 4 games. they will be 3 and 4 heading into their bye.

If the Browns get a top 15 pick, they will look like clear winners.

iced

i don't get this logic.

snead and fisher have been saying all off season they believe in their backs and appears to me they believe Pead is going to take over the job soon, and they believe he has the ability to be an every down back.

They're not the type to knee jerk and just give up on talent for no reason, like apparently a lot of fans want to do.

Also, the only reason why Richardson is traded is because Ballard goes on IR. Richardson has proven to be injury prone, and the colts were desperate for a RB. that's why this trade even happened

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:
i don't get this logic.

snead and fisher have been saying all off season they believe in their backs and appears to me they believe Pead is going to take over the job soon, and they believe he has the ability to be an every down back.

They're not the type to knee jerk and just give up on talent for no reason, like apparently a lot of fans want to do.

Also, the only reason why Richardson is traded is because Ballard goes on IR. Richardson has proven to be injury prone, and the colts were desperate for a RB. that's why this trade even happened

Yeah, it's hard to argue with that.

The Browns "salvage" their first round commitment to Richardson.

The Colts roll the dice that Richardson stays healthy and plays like a 1st rounder.

I guess the Colts felt they could not make the playoffs without a legit RB.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I was listening to guys like Pat Kirwan and Gil Brandt on Sirius NFL Radio and they say that the Browns did good to get a 1st rounder for Richardson. Both made it sound like it was something they simply could not pass up.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
max said:
kurtfaulk said:

If the Browns get a top 15 pick, they will look like clear winners.
I don't see how that can be possible since the guy they pick will be basically responsible for ( as in total opportunity cost of having him) what TR counts against the cap next year PLUS his own salary and prorated signing bonus .

I can't see anything outside the top 5 making ANY economic sense of this.
NOW IF TR stinks it up in Indy that's a horse of another water trough. :shock:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Memphis Ram said:
I was listening to guys like Pat Kirwan and Gil Brandt on Sirius NFL Radio and they say that the Browns did good to get a 1st rounder for Richardson. Both made it sound like it was something they simply could not pass up.
Well yeah if ya want rid of the guy ,anyone surrendering a 1st round pick IN SEASON for a player is paying a hefty price so I see this as Cleveland just got a better deal than Indy but neither one got a great deal,unless TR runs wild ,THEN WHAT?

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yamahopper said:
Great deal for the Browns.
TR is good but he's not special.

I guess I am in the minority but I personally think IF Richardson can stay healthy he will be one of the best RB's in the NFL and Andrew Luck's new best friend.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
paceram said:
Yamahopper said:
Great deal for the Browns.
TR is good but he's not special.

I guess I am in the minority but I personally think IF Richardson can stay healthy he will be one of the best RB's in the NFL and Andrew Luck's new best friend.

Yeah, the change in scenery could be good for him.

I feel bad for Cleveland. What message does this send to the fans?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
kurtfaulk said:

Might be 3-4 b/c of that but they still play in the AFCS. They are just as good as Houston IMO. They are a 10 win team.

Either way they are gonna be a great team for the long run.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am one of the Colts biggest fans this week! :hehe:

RamEERS

Pastor
Was anyone dumb like me? I saw the news and was like... we traded d rich? For a first rounder?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
RamEERS said:
Was anyone dumb like me? I saw the news and was like... we traded d rich? For a first rounder?
Well they will both go against the same defense inside of a week, hopefully DRich gets the bragging rights but TRich has a creditable game in a winning cause.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
iced said:
i don't get this logic.

This.

Also, wasn't T Rich averaging something like 3.6 or so YPC?

That's nothing to write home about.