Was Cooper drafted to replace Tavon?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Exactly. It was a 4th round pick - they were looking for somebody who they expected to contribute, preferably as a receiver to go along with their shiny new QB. The best one available was a slot receiver, which Austin sometimes plays, but Tavon is versatile and can play elsewhere, and won't be in on every down anyway (neither will Cooper)

You nailed it, Akrasian.

Cooper was not so much picked to replace Austin. He was the BPA at a position of need that fell to the Rams.

And from what has been widely reported from the OTA's, he might just turn out to be a steal.

No question that he will get plenty of snaps and targets this year. If he plays lights out, he could be a fixture at slot receiver for years for us. That might make Austin more expendable, unless he also has a lights out year. And THAT would be a verrrrry nice problem to have, huh?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's been mentioned many times that Tavon is not really a slot guy in this offense. So from that perspective I don't see him as a replacement. They are quite different in that Tavon's got the elite speed with iffy hands and a microscopic catch radius, whereas Coop has sneaky speed due to his weird running motion but catches everything. Both are definitely good with the ball in their hands though so yeah there are some similarities.

But in the long run who knows, Cooper's particular set of abilities might translate well enough to the NFL that he takes his place as a playmaker. I do think he's in for a very strong rookie season and IMO is going to be a playmaker in this league. Not as explosive as Tavon, but maybe in his own way extremely effective and part of a serious offensive resurgence.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And that 5th year option is for 2017 season. He's under contract for 2 more seasons.

but it's not guaranteed. if by some chance tavon doesn't play lights out, and i think he will explode this year with goff, the rams will have to decide if they want to pay him $12m for next season. best case scenario is he plays so well he forces the rams to sign him long term.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think the plan was for Cooper to free up Austin for bigger/better things. And if next year his contract demands are too much then Cooper could slide into that kind of a role.

Cooper was drafted because he was the best player available , especially of position of need. I can't believe he was still there when The Rams traded back later in 4th rd. -
I think they added Mike Thomas as well for the trade back,which adds to another great trade back by Les Sneed.

Pharoh Cooper can be a guy that could be Tavan's replacement next year as well as this season. It's called depth which we as Ram fans aren't use to.

Great young depth at OL after years of garbage. --Love the drafting style of Snisher by position.Hate the trade up.

Trading up for Tavon & Joyner were bad moves especially because of there size.
Mo Alexander in later because of later round.
Perfect example of adding depth by position draft style 1. CJ Gaines 2. Wichmann 3.C. Bryant 4.Hemmimgway 5. M. Thomas ( Stedman Bailey)

Rams43

Hall of Fame
At the risk of stating the obvious, Goff is gonna enhance Cooper's chances of becoming a playmaker.

'Course, Goff is gonna enhance the opportunities for all receivers, including the TE's.

I think that Boras and Groh are gonna have a field day given all the possibilities that Goff, Cooper, Britt, Austin, Higbee, and Gurley present. This O is not gonna be the GSOT, but once these players gel together I predict a very effective and dangerous O. A true complement to that D and that ST unit.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Cooper was signed to be a playmaker on the offense. I just don't see them trying to find replacements for players that have two years on their contract unless they see someone as improving the position. Cooper and TA are not even really close to the same type of player and I still don't get this whole TA as a slot receiver thing. That is not what he is. Cooper on the other hand looks to be someone who will make his living in the slot with occasional shots at the reverse or lining up outside just to mess with defensive coordinators.

If we re-sign TA after the '17 season will IMO simply depend on the obvious - how well he does over the next two seasons and how KD is able to work the numbers to keep priority signings. Either way, I think TA will still be a Ram past the '17 season. If not, that could actually mean that our offense is pretty good and can afford to let another JJ situation play out.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't see TA going anywhere unless we see some offensive miracles this season and next. But, if he becomes disposable, even as talented as he is, he could become a cap casualty. There's a lot of people Rams need to keep coming up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't see Austin going anywhere.

When your offense is pretty much Gurley and Austin, that's the last place you think about trimming.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
No need to over think this IMO rams really needed a WR and Cooper was the best WR available. Doesn't hurt that he was big time playmaker in Snisher's favorite league. Also Rams picked up Tavon's 5th year option, so if he's not on the team in 2017 it will be the Rams choice not his.

I also think the comparison between Cooper and Tavon are a bit overstated because they are both very versatile and there college offenses tried to get them ball in many different ways , however I think they are versatile in different ways. Cooper was a pure slot WR/wildcat QB in college whereas Tavon in college was more of a dynamic athlete and more like an RB playing WR. Tavon's game is all about elite speed, athleticism, and dynamic cutting ability more suited to the outside in the NFL despite his size. Cooper is nowhere near the athlete Tavon is, but still gets open with savy, route running, and fearlessness over the middle more suited to the slot in the NFL.

Rams need playmakers full stop and could really use both guys not just one or the other