Was Cooper drafted to replace Tavon?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
let me start by saying I love Tavon Austin, he's possibly the quickest player in the league and he is a playmaker that has not reached his full potential. When the team drafted Cooper I had the gut feeling that it was a potential replacement for Austin. Tavon is a free agent this year and I think if he doesn't meet expectations that the team plans on replacing him with Cooper who has a similar skill set and can be used like Tavon. I see the team spending money on defense again over a contract for Austin. I hope I am wrong but Snead always plans a year ahead and this seems like that situation. Any thoughts???

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Wow @Adi I was thinking the same thing the other day. Not exactly the same skill set but maybe more geared to what we are trying to do with our offense.

I will hurl if I see Tavon go to another team and be the star we all see that he can be with the Rams. But I can see the drafting of Scooper with the idea that we my lose Tavon.

Yeah. I said scooper.

Big Game

Living The Dream
No Cooper was drafted to replace Stedman Bailey. Cooper same height and skill set as Bailey good hands just better speed. The Rams are not going to part ways with one of the most explosive play makers. Go watch interviews in the past when both Coach and Snead said they would hate to have to play and game plan against Tavon on another team.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I have wondered that myself. Cooper offers a lot of the same skills as Tavon with a bigger frame to absorb punishment, so he may be a more viable option in the slot. Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVED and still love the Tavon pick. He is an absolute nightmare to account for and is a main reason the Rams were able to do anything at all last year. That being the case, I'm not sure the Rams will spend 12+ million on him if Cooper plays well. It will be interesting to see what they do with BOTH of them this year. I think they can compliment each other nicely.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
No Cooper was drafted to replace Stedman Bailey. Cooper same height and skill set as Bailey good hands just better speed. The Rams are not going to part ways with one of the most explosive play makers. Go watch interviews in the past when both Coach and Snead said they would hate to have to play and game plan against Tavon on another team.

I hope you're right, but unless Tavon can stay healthy and put up some even bigger numbers this year, they will be hard pressed to pay him the franchise tender. I personally think he is worth it due to all he brings to the table. It is like paying for a top WR, and getting a very good RB, KR/PR thrown in!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think it would be remiss for them not to think about the possibility of TA walking. They should not expect much more than he produced last year, I know what Fisher said about getting him 100 catches but I don't see that as a reality.

Was Cooper drafted as a replacement, I don't think so I think he was just another good piece they were adding on.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the plan was for Cooper to free up Austin for bigger/better things. And if next year his contract demands are too much then Cooper could slide into that kind of a role.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let's hope not I a big fan of keeping talent and not spreading it throughout the NFL.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm with you on this one Big Game!! (y)(y)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If Cooper plays well, it certainly could be a possibility.

I've wondered the same thing myself.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Yes and no. Cooper was drafted to play slot, and I believe they plan on using TA more on the outside.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I wouldnt say he was drafted to be Tavon's replacement, but I think he could help Tavon out the door. IMO, Tavon hasnt shown enough to be a true WR threat, which makes it hard to pay him 10m+/yr. Now based off of the WR production last year (or even the year before that too) its justifiable to pay him that much cuz hes all there really was at WR, but if Cooper plays good these next 2 years and looks like he worth a 8m+/yr contract its gonna be hard to pay almost 20m between Tavon and a slot wr and still have to pay another WR that offers your a legitimate WR threat on the outside, theres just not enough money for that.

In short, Cooper can help ease the loss of Tavon, but whether or not Tavon remains in the team's future plans will depend on Tavon himself and how he develops as a true WR threat.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams are covering their bases is all. If Tavon wants, or is offered too much then he will be gone IMO. Teams out there probably think that Austin is misused or untapped by the Rams and that they can do better with him. So they will offer him more than what his production warrants. If that happens the Rams say adios and the next team tries to figure out if they were right.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Austin is not a free agent, we picked up his fifth year option.

No, but after year 5 they will have to make a decision whether or not to compete for his services. Tavon is not Gurley or Donald good, so the chances of him being considered a must sign probably aren't that great. Unless he suddenly becomes the player that Fisher envisioned.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, but after year 5 they will have to make a decision whether or not to compete for his services. Tavon is not Gurley or Donald good, so the chances of him being considered a must sign probably aren't that great. Unless he suddenly becomes the player that Fisher envisioned.

This.

To make matters more convoluted, they have the ammo to ask for BIG money after Tavon's 10 TD season (and hopefully an even better season this year) - if Tavon hit Free Agency he would get HUGE money...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Exactly. It was a 4th round pick - they were looking for somebody who they expected to contribute, preferably as a receiver to go along with their shiny new QB. The best one available was a slot receiver, which Austin sometimes plays, but Tavon is versatile and can play elsewhere, and won't be in on every down anyway (neither will Cooper)