Was Carson Wentz a 1st round pick because being a system QB in college?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, he was a first round pick because he was a first round talent. That's quite obvious based on his NFL success. Easton Stick is a talented QB in his own right. He'll be drafted. Peyton Manning never won a National Championship at Tennessee. The year after he left, Tee Martin led Tennessee to a National Championship. Manning wasn't a system QB either.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No, he was a first round pick because he was a first round talent. That's quite obvious based on his NFL success. Easton Stick is a talented QB in his own right. He'll be drafted. Peyton Manning never won a National Championship at Tennessee. The year after he left, Tee Martin led Tennessee to a National Championship. Manning wasn't a system QB either.

Sort of like USC w/ Matt Lienert & Carson Palmer.

I think the Eagles would have taken him over Jared Goff ??

The Rams had both Nick Foles & Case Keenum?? Where the talented QB’s ??
Maybe they were Fisher system QB’s

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Foles and Keenum are, IMO, better than average backups who can start for stretches and have success. Therefore talented.

Both had short periods of modest success under CJF.

Oddly enough, both came from Air Raid systems in college, where they put up pinball numbers.

(Twilight Zone theme plays)

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

perfect example jrry32 ... Peyton had a superb carrer at Tennesee individual wise.. IIRC perhaps 1 time while he was the QB at Tennessee they were considered championship caliber team.. but the point remains Tennessee didn't make Peyton, but not sure you can't say the same about Wentz and NDSU

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
perfect example jrry32 ... Peyton had a superb carrer at Tennesee individual wise.. IIRC perhaps 1 time while he was the QB at Tennessee they were considered championship caliber team.. but the point remains Tennessee didn't make Peyton, but not sure you can't say the same about Wentz and NDSU

Wentz has played three years in the NFL, my friend. This criticism was silly when it was actually relevant (and it was made back then). It's even sillier now. We've seen him play in the NFL. I'm not even remotely sure how you think there is a successful point to be made here. You're three years too late. Wentz already put this question to bed.

Ramer

Wentz has played three years in the NFL, my friend. This criticism was silly when it was actually relevant (and it was made back then). It's even sillier now. We've seen him play in the NFL. I'm not even remotely sure how you think there is a successful point to be made here. You're three years too late. Wentz already put this question to bed.

Been 3 seasons already? seems like he's only played for 1 year

200w.webp

jjab360

Legend
I think the answer is obvious that he wasn't a system QB when you look at how much success he's had in the NFL...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And poor Brock Jensen, Wentz predecessor. He has every career record for NDSU and 3 straight National Championships.
In his senior year alone, he accounted for 44td. 34 pass, 10 rushing.
Wentz accounted for 58 in his entire career...

Jensen barely got a whiff in the nfl and Canada

Guess the “system” didn’t work for him

fearsomefour

Legend
Sort of like USC w/ Matt Lienert & Carson Palmer.

I think the Eagles would have taken him over Jared Goff ??

The Rams had both Nick Foles & Case Keenum?? Where the talented QB’s ??
Maybe they were Fisher system QB’s
The system Lienart benefitted from was have a team loaded.....and I mean loaded....with NFL caliber players.
Carson Palmer was an NFL talent QB.
That goes without a doubt.

Ellard80

Legend
Dunno he wasn't winning much this year.. but the dude has like a 101-102 qb rating the last two years.

So certainly can't say he has been bad... football is a fickle beast.

RamWoodie

Legend
The guy (Wentz), was running a pro styled offense in college...and it benefitted him greatly...it's that simple.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Carson wentz was a first round pick because he was drafted in the first round

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
The guy (Wentz), was running a pro styled offense in college...and it benefitted him greatly...it's that simple.
There is no doubt that Wentz is talented, but I would say it is obvious that any QB with talent playing on the Eagles would benefit from the surrounding talent and the EXCELENT coaching. They find what the QB does best and do it.

Ram65

Legend
I would be questioning his health moving forward not what college system he played in. You have to wonder if the Eagles played him too early coming off the knee injuries. Looking forward to seeing what Foles does today against the Bears today. Wentz looked out of sorts this year despite his high completion percentage.

Ramer

I would be questioning his health moving forward not what college system he played in. You have to wonder if the Eagles played him too early coming off the knee injuries. Looking forward to seeing what Foles does today against the Bears today. Wentz looked out of sorts this year despite his high completion percentage.
It seems that's an oppinion circling here a ROD (if he was rushed back too soon) but glad the eeegles might have that dilema next year if Foles does well against the bears .... not sure how much of the team's cap is tied up to the b/u qb possition.

Ram65

Legend
It seems that's an oppinion circling here a ROD (if he was rushed back too soon) but glad the eeegles might have that dilema next year if Foles does well against the bears .... not sure how much of the team's cap is tied up to the b/u qb possition.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/nick-foles-9898/

He has $20+ Million contract next year with 1.8 M dead cap hit. it's going to be hard for the Eagles to give Wentz a big deal in 2019 with his health. Still have to see what happens the rest of this year with Foles. It's getting more talk than the game against the Bears. Most are looking at a good chance to beat the Bears.

Ramzheart

Rookie
Been 3 seasons already? seems like he's only played for 1 year

200w.webp
Well, he's missed 8 games in the last 2 seasons, which in my mind is the bottom line. What if the Eagles wouldn't have had a capable back up?!
IlI' tell ya, kiss the Superbowl ad this year goodbye!
I see him on the same path as Mariota, sacrificing his body and often injured.
So must the Eagles for the seemed to know how crucial it was to resign Foles.
Wentz has said himself he has no intention on changing his playing style.
Sorry a little off topic, but my point is that is why no matter how much talent you feel he has, it doesn't matter if he's on the bench

RamWoodie

Legend
There is no doubt that Wentz is talented, but I would say it is obvious that any QB with talent playing on the Eagles would benefit from the surrounding talent and the EXCELENT coaching. They find what the QB does best and do it.
True. However the BIG benefit for Wentz is the NFL's main problem with the QBs coming out of college which is "THEY CAN'T READ DEFENSES"! Wentz could! Which is why the Eagles were so quick to let Bradford go...because Wentz was able to read defenses and audible plays on his own...so sure, Wentz had talent on the offense...but more than that his IQ was way more than they expected! We see it all the time where college QBs line up the offense and have to wait on the coordinators to change the play them.

Think about what came out on Goff as a rookie in camp. Goff was having a hard time simply understanding plays...and the fact that Fisher was coach didn't help him.

My point is colleges running spread offenses hurt the QB development. That's the NFL talking...not me!

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
True. However the BIG benefit for Wentz is the NFL's main problem with the QBs coming out of college which is "THEY CAN'T READ DEFENSES"! Wentz could! Which is why the Eagles were so quick to let Bradford go...because Wentz was able to read defenses and audible plays on his own...so sure, Wentz had talent on the offense...but more than that his IQ was way more than they expected! We see it all the time where college QBs line up the offense and have to wait on the coordinators to change the play them.

Think about what came out on Goff as a rookie in camp. Goff was having a hard time simply understanding plays...and the fact that Fisher was coach didn't help him.

My point is colleges running spread offenses hurt the QB development. That's the NFL talking...not me!
I agree that Wentz had a head start coming from a NFL style program, but he would have looked pretty lousy playing in Fisher's offense. This is proved out not just by Goff, but Keenum and Foles. Foles wanted to quit! The Eagles figured out what he did best in the first few games he started last season and won a super bowl with him. He started good the first couple of games starting for the Rams and fell apart and got benched with the rams. So no mater having a head start, my opinion is that with the proper environment even these kids coming out with no experience in the huddle or reading defenses can play well if they have the right talent, attitude and smarts.