Warner The Oc?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Matt Leinart: Warner, not Whisenhunt, got us to a Super Bowl
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 15, 2014, 10:27 AM EST
leinartwarner.jpg
Getty Images
Matt Leinart played for Ken Whisenhunt for three seasons in Arizona. Leinart was not impressed with his coach.
Asked on FOX Sports Live whether Whisenhunt will succeed in Tennessee, Leinart expressed skepticism, saying that Whisenhunt is wrongly credited for getting the 2008 Cardinals to the Super Bowl. According to Leinart, it was Kurt Warner who ran the offense that season, not only on the field but in meetings, where Leinart says Warner devised the game plans and Whisenhunt did nothing more than go along for the ride.
I don’t think it’s a great fit, and I don’t think it’s great timing, and here’s why,” Leinart said of the Titans hiring Whisenhunt. “You look at his tenure in Arizona — only two years, he had success, and in those two years, Kurt Warner ran that football team — I was a part of it. Every single Monday, Kurt Warner would come in and implement 20 to 30 new plays which he would say ‘I want these in my game plan.’ We became a spread offense and we became Kurt Warner’s offense. Then Kurt Warner retires, they go 5-11 twice and they go 8-8.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-to-a-super-bowl/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

me, i'm pretty sure todd haley was running the show. leinart sounds like a bitter ex qb that the whiz obviously had no faith in.

Alan

Legend
Regardless of his motives, I think he's right about that. Without Warner they go nowhere.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Not sure Matt is qualified to answer the question... considering it was about success in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure Matt is qualified to answer the question... considering it was about success in the NFL.

He was there. None of us can say the same. Maybe he is bitter. Maybe not. But I think his perspective is worth hearing. None of us know if it's true but again, he was in the locker-room/meeting room.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He was there. None of us can say the same. Maybe he is bitter. Maybe not. But I think his perspective is worth hearing. None of us know if it's true but again, he was in the locker-room/meeting room.

He's qualified to answer questions on hot tub parties... but if you want to know how to be successful in the NFL, or how to put together a successful NFL offense... Matt ain't the expert.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
It really does seem kind of obvious though. Look at the team once Warner was gone, not much doing. I don't know how much of it was Whiz vs. the previous GM bringing the wrong personnel, but without an elite QB, the Cards didn't/don't have much popping.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well Leinert is correct, lousy QB or not. Warner carried that team and there isn't any doubt about it. Against 4 of the top 6 or 7 (if memory serves) passing defenses in the league that year he put up the single best postseason run in history. It was simply lavish.

Whis was doing what everyone else was, which was riding Warner's coat tails. And even Fitzgerald said it during an interview when he said its Kurt's world we're just living in it.

Alan

Legend
bluecoconuts asking a Q:
Somewhat related, who else would love to see Faulk as our OC? You know he has the brain to do it.
Absolutely no way.

If he spent some time in college learning the craft of being an OC then maybe I'd think about it. A talented and smart former player doesn't necessarily equate to being a good OC IMO.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Absolutely no way.

If he spent some time in college learning the craft of being an OC then maybe I'd think about it. A talented and smart former player doesn't necessarily equate to being a good OC IMO.

+1, the real superstar athletes rarely transition into the coaching ranks for whatever reason.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
me, i'm pretty sure todd haley was running the show. leinart sounds like a bitter ex qb that the whiz obviously had no faith in.

To clarify my point about Haley, obviously he would have input from Kurt on what he wanted in the offense and I have no doubt Kurt was heavily involved in game plans every week.

I don't want to look like I'm discrediting Kurt in any way. What he did with that offense with the worst rushing attack in the league was astounding. In the superbowl he put up 375 yards against a team that allowed something like 170 yards passing per game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
To clarify my point about Haley, obviously he would have input from Kurt on what he wanted in the offense and I have no doubt Kurt was heavily involved in game plans every week.

I don't want to look like I'm discrediting Kurt in any way. What he did with that offense with the worst rushing attack in the league was astounding. In the superbowl he put up 375 yards against a team that allowed something like 170 yards passing per game.

When you knew shit was real was when Bradshaw, who NEVER picks against the Steelers, picked the Cardinals because of Warner's post season binge on the best passing defences in the league. He was eating them all alive.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
+1, the real superstar athletes rarely transition into the coaching ranks for whatever reason.

This is true, great athletes are better suited in management positions than coaching positions and the pro sports leagues in this country are loaded with examples of each of those points.

I'm not sure Faulk would want to leave the studio though.

Anyway I think the reason is they don't have an easy time dealing with players who aren't talented and don't work as hard. By the way I think that's true among all fields, people who are elite at what they do don't have a lot of patience for the ones who half ass it or barely care.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't see Warner of Faulk ever leaving their TV gigs for coaching.

1) They made their money in the NFL
2) They are making good money as analysts, sustaining that life style
3) Coaching is a grind. They have wealth. Live life!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
i think Marshall Faulk has more FB knowledge and would make a better OC than Warner.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Josh McCown had some glowing words for Warners influence on him as well,
Lienert may be overstating but I'd agree he's on to something

Ram_of_Old

Warner could start as the QB coach and move into the OC position...IMHO