Warner on Bradford: Time to take the next step/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I'm a huge fan of Warner. I don't blame him for considering himself a Cardinal, and I really get where he's coming from. I also believe he is and always will be a Rams fan in his own way.

Here's the only problem I have with what he said. "But there's also part of that position where you have to step up and separate yourself and be able to carry a team." Kurt's insistence on being the hero was a huge contribution to him being replaced.

He of all people should know that trying to force things can spell disaster for a team that needs to play to more it's system as it's talent declines.

Bradford has been more mature and necessarily so. He's done what the coaches needed of him, whether or not that appeases what media expects from a first overall pick at quarterback.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm a huge fan of Warner. I don't blame him for considering himself a Cardinal, and I really get where he's coming from. I also believe he is and always will be a Rams fan in his own way.

Here's the only problem I have with what he said. "But there's also part of that position where you have to step up and separate yourself and be able to carry a team." Kurt's insistence on being the hero was a huge contribution to him being replaced.

He of all people should know that trying to force things can spell disaster for a team that needs to play to more it's system as it's talent declines.

Bradford has been more mature and necessarily so. He's done what the coaches needed of him, whether or not that appeases what media expects from a first overall pick at quarterback.
I don't agree. If you play to your talents...as in, admit you're not talented enough to do Max Q, then you settle. As with anything in football it's all checks and balances. What Warner is saying, IMO, is that a QB can't always just take what the defense is giving. He has to challenge that defense to keep them honest(or to beat their ass).

Playing within the system, towing the company line and doing what the coaches ask all have their place. But there's something more for a franchise QB too. I'm not saying Bradford has been disappointing or needs to do more or pointing to anything in particular but I certainly would consider what Warner says if he thinks there's something Bradford should be doing.

Alan

Legend
moklerman seeing the light:
What Warner is saying, IMO, is that a QB can't always just take what the defense is giving. He has to challenge that defense to keep them honest(or to beat their ass).
Those are the things that separate the great from the merely very good.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Now that Bradford has the pieces to work with, it's time for him to take the next step in becoming a franchise QB.

Does anyone disagree with that?

If I'm being fair I'll make a comparison to Seattle and this is JMO.

I think our D will be in the same league as theirs, maybe even better.
I think our running game will be comparable.
I think our WR's are actually better than Seattle's
I believe our ST's is better in the kicking game and return game.

So if you add all that up it comes down to Bradford taking his game up just a notch, Shotty putting together a decent offensive game plan each week and everyone executing that game plan. I say executing is probably the biggest overlooked piece. Last year we missed so many blocking assignments it was almost tragic.

I don't see any reason why we can't be be in the same league as Seattle and the 9er's.

So with much respect, Kurt is pretty fair in his words. It seems to me Sam doesn't have to set the world on fire if everything else above goes as it should. He doesn't have to be Manning or Brady for us to be a very good team.
But he has to mature and if he stays on the same pace as he was on before his injury, sky is the limit for Sam and our RAMS.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Where did kurt diss Sam?

His statement presumes Sam has yet to perform. That's bogus.

He should know better than anyone that great qb play can be masked or suppressed by a poor supporting cast.

shame on him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree with Kurt. It's time for Sam to take control and accept nothing less than perfection from everyone else around him. I've been his biggest defender throughout his whole career, but there's nothing standing in his way now. He has the talent. He has talent around him. And he has a beast defense.

Now ..... GO!
This^^^

I don't blame Sam for his crappy situation to begin his career. Now he is a vet with some actual talent around him for a change. Time to take that talent and lead the way. No QB can take a bad team anywhere but a good QB can lead a good team and the time is now for Sam to do just that. I am definitely in Sam's corner. Part of that is that I firmly expect Sam to take a big next step. I don't see any reason to expect less.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His statement presumes Sam has yet to perform. That's bogus.

He should know better than anyone that great qb play can be masked or suppressed by a poor supporting cast.

shame on him.

kurt always says that he knows better than anyone a qb needs to have talent around him to succeed. in the article he said sam hasn't had that talent around him before to play to his full potential and now he does. that's why he should take the next step. not sure why you take such umbrage with that. we all think that.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
kurt always says that he knows better than anyone a qb needs to have talent around him to succeed. in the article he said sam hasn't had that talent around him before to play to his full potential and now he does. that's why he should take the next step. not sure why you take such umbrage with that. we all think that.

Sam's already taken every step he needs to. the problem was never about Sam. What is Kurt even talking about.

Sam's only negative, which is actually a positive, is that he won't shuck n jive with media.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sam's already taken every step he needs to. the problem was never about Sam. What is Kurt even talking about.

Sam's only negative, which is actually a positive, is that he won't shuck n jive with media.
I'm a huge fan of Sam's. But quite frankly, the results aren't there except for some impressive stats for sections of some seasons. I'm not bagging on Sam as many of the problems are not his. But the reality is that putting all that into perspective, still leaves you with the fact that it is time to produce and he is experienced and talented enough and has enough talent around him to do so. I'm not saying that if it doesn't happen, it is automatically his fault. But barring tangible blame, he DOES need to produce and lead his team. This is HIS team to lead.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
What I think we our missing here, people say he doesn't taking any chances down field & will "check down". I say thats the trust issue he had w/ his young WRs. This season your all about to find out how awesome Sam "Big Easy" bradford is. If he can stay healthy I think he will be in the 7-10 range. And #1 in our hearts lol