Walter Football: Concerns On Manziel, Incognito, And More..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
JP
http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2014rumors2.php

2014 Senior Bowl: Tuesday Rumor Mill

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

With all the general managers, coaches and scouts in attendance for the Senior Bowl, there is a lot of chatter going around. Here are some of the highlights from the rumormill on Day 2.

There are quarterback-needy teams that are picking high in the first round that like Johnny Manziel as a player, but are afraid of drafting him because of the off-the-field concerns. Manziel's party lifestyle is scary to a lot of teams that can't afford to blow a top-10 pick. Even teammates and coaches at Texas A&M are unsure of how Manziel is going to react when he has millions in his bank account and is an instant celebrity as a NFL quarterback. Those concerns about Manziel are causing some teams to view Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles as safer picks even though they like Manziel's game. Manziel could mitigate that damaged reputation by interviewing well with teams at the Combine and on team visits.

Some believe that former Dolphins guard Richie Incognito is done in the NFL, but WalterFootball.com has learned from sources that they are having internal discussions about signing Incognito. There are a lot of teams that could use help at guard and some feel that Incognito is a player that can help them. Owners could ultimately kill a team signing Incognito, but there are teams out there that are discussing signing him to a league minimum contract with zero tolerance for any misconduct.

Sources with the Atlanta Falcons tell WalterFootball.com that head coach Mike Smith enters the 2014 season on a "warm seat." They aren't ready to say that Smith is on a full blown hot seat, but it has gotten warmer underneath him. They said that Smith has been told this and he understands the situation. Smith has been very up front and accountable about the disappointing 2013 season, and Atlanta feels that Smith and his staff are fully capable of engineering a quick turnaround for the Falcons next fall.

One prospect that hasn't been impressing scouts is Florida State center Bryan Stork. They feel that he's just "a guy" and there isn't anything special about him. Stork isn't overly strong or athletic. Many sources are projecting Stork to be a third-day pick, and he also could have some medical red flags from concussions during his collegiate career.

A lot of general manager candidates were turned off by Tampa Bay giving final say to new head coach Lovie Smith. A few sources were wondering what the point of a general manager would really be with Smith making the final call on draft picks and free agents. Sources say that everybody around the league knows that Smith is great to work for/with, but general managers want to be able to craft a roster. Still, league contacts feel that Tampa Bay landed a good one in Jason Licht. Sources thought the Bucs' best potential hire of the candidates being discussed would have been Redskins director of pro personnel Morocco Brown, but Licht was said to be a good choice as well.

WalterFootball.com will have more practice reports, post-practice interview observations and rumormill entries this week live from Mobile. Follow me or Walt (@walterfootball) for updates.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd take Richie back on a league minimum - in a heartbeat.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
So would i.
He fits right in, here in the NFC West. This team is undisciplined anyway. May as well have talented undisciplined players.

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So would i.
He fits right in, here in the NFC West. This team is undisciplined anyway. May as well have talented undisciplined players.

Haha, I laughed at that, then realized it made a lot of sense. :lol:

V3

Hall of Fame

Same as long as there's a zero tolerance clause. There really isn't much to lose. Also, Richie is friends with Long so that might entice him to come back.

Name
JP
Same as long as there's a zero tolerance clause. There really isn't much to lose. Also, Richie is friends with Long so that might entice him to come back.

Didn't he rip Long for leaving though??

V3

Hall of Fame
Didn't he rip Long for leaving though??

I don't remember that. It wouldn't surprise me, though. I thought they were really good friends. If Richie stopped being friends with Long because he got a new contract, F Richie.

Name
JP
I don't remember that. It wouldn't surprise me, though. I thought they were really good friends. If Richie stopped being friends with Long because he got a new contract, F Richie.

Maybe I am remembering that wrong. I would take Richie on a cheap contract.

fearsomefour

Legend
So would i.
Ha, made me laugh with that one....hard to deny. Id even throw a couple mill his way. Williams at 900K or Incognito at 2.5? Easy choice to me.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
If I was a head coach, I'd like final say over who was drafted! In the past a certain gm drafted a qb the coach didn't want and that coach left a year later to take his new team to the playoffs. Got to be a mutual agreement on personnel!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Lovie final say ,like he had on London Fletcher,Jamie Duncan
You just wonder why organizational structures that are failures for so many coaches keep getting trotted out ,just don't even "get it" A good GM will give a coach final say when he's persuasive enough and FWIW for his own good a coach is better off that way.