Waiting for Jared Goff thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Apparently, so does Ryan Tannehill. Yet, I'd love to hear an argument for Keenum being a better QB than him.

Not to mention the fact that Keenum has 4 TOs in 4 games.

No, it won't. The arguments have been the same for weeks. They're not changing anyone's mind. "Look at the preseason." "Look at how other rookie QBs did in the preseason." "But my memory tells me they weren't as bad." "These newspaper articles indicate otherwise." "Doesn't change my mind." "Doesn't change my mind either."

No need. Tannehill isn't a QB for the Rams and has had some regular season success. But, if he were, he'd probably be starting.

And Keenum's 4 TOs in 4 games really scares me as to how many more Goff might have about now if he were starting.

I know. Goff is the next best thing for NFL. He's automatic and there's no way this 21 year old kid can not be ready now or eventually fail without it somehow being Jeff Fisher's fault.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Other QBs started as rookies coming from the spread. And who does Goff have coaching him? Weinke has what a year of coaching experience. Boras the Oline and TEs coach, Groh the receivers coach? If a veteran OF like Norv Turner was coaching Goff then I would be confident that it is all on Goff. Philly has Pedersen, and Reich both with years of playing and coaching both under their belt. Is it any surprise they could get Wentz prepared ahead of Goff?

Yeah, I blame the coaches, whether it is their philosophy, or lack of experience that Goff isn't ready. But, it seems to be Fisher's plan to sit Goff and so I don't clamor for him like I did in the first two games.

How many of those other rookie starters were just 21 years old and as thin as Goff?

RamWoodie

Legend
Someone said it well...there are stats, then there are stats....
Looking at this game...did it seem like a one-score type of lead? Didn't it look like we should be clearly ahead?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-select-jared-goff-with-top-pick-of-nfl-draft

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2016/s...eles-rams-select-jared-goff-no-1-overall-pick
And better believe the rushing game is suffering because of the QB play....we shoulda put this game away...easily...Lets not waste this defenses prime years because of fear....
You call that proof??? I saw Goff in preseason...so those articles are already debunked by Goff's play for now. That doesn't mean down the line they can't come to fruition...but clearly THAT AIN'T THE CASE NOW!

Here's another point people don't think about...let's say Mannion suits up as the back up and Keenum leaves a game for concussion protocol. Mannion comes in and lights it up. That would add to Goff's troubles...cuz he would really be 3rd.

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
Other QBs started as rookies coming from the spread. And who does Goff have coaching him? Weinke has what a year of coaching experience. Boras the Oline and TEs coach, Groh the receivers coach? If a veteran OF like Norv Turner was coaching Goff then I would be confident that it is all on Goff. Philly has Pedersen, and Reich both with years of playing and coaching both under their belt. Is it any surprise they could get Wentz prepared ahead of Goff?

Yeah, I blame the coaches, whether it is their philosophy, or lack of experience that Goff isn't ready. But, it seems to be Fisher's plan to sit Goff and so I don't clamor for him like I did in the first two games.
Elm...this doesn't make your case because it's based on pure assumption and no real facts. You're blaming coaches yet this team is 3-1 and the offense is playing better every week under these same coaches.

Now...I'm going to assume something...Goff simply hasn't come along as they expected him to. He was 3rd string coming out of preseason. I also think to spare Goff and cut down on the talk about Goff being 3rd string they've decided to suit him up over Mannion. I could be wrong but it's purely a move to calm down the talk about it.

This doesn't mean Goff wasn't worth the pick though...only time will tell that.

Last edited:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I think it is quite easy to watch the games and realize that Goff's arm and accuracy would benefit the offense quite a bit.

I also think it is quite easy to see that we are actually winning football games.

Fisher and staff are almost in a conundrum. But in a big way, it is possibly a good conundrum. You can tell that Keenum knows he has to play his heart out or Goff is in

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No need. Tannehill isn't a QB for the Rams and has had some regular season success. But, if he were, he'd probably be starting.

And Keenum's 4 TOs in 4 games really scares me as to how many more Goff might have about now if he were starting.

I know. Goff is the next best thing for NFL. He's automatic and there's no way this 21 year old kid can not be ready now or eventually fail without it somehow being Jeff Fisher's fault.

Could have less. How many interceptions have the rookie QBs thrown this year? I know Dak Prescott and Carson Wentz have 0 between them. Paxton Lynch also threw 0 when he stepped in for Siemian. Don't know about Kessler and Brissett.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Elm...this doesn't make your case because it's based on pure assumption and no real facts. You're blaming coaches yet this team is 3-1 and the offense is playing better every week under these same coaches.

Now...I'm going to assume something...Goff simply hasn't come along as they expected him to. He was 3rd string coming out of preseason. I also think to spare Goff and cut down on the talk about Goff being 3rd string they've decided to suit him up over Mannion. I could be wrong but it's purely a move to calm down the talk about it.

This doesn't mean Goff wasn't worth the pick though...only time will tell that.

I think it does. Is there a chance it is all on Goff? Yeah, but if he was talented enough to pick first overall, which I think he was, then how can he be so far away from starting? Maybe Fisher had no intention of playing Goff this year at all. Or maybe if he did he should have gotten him working with the ones sooner. Either way it sounds like he is not ready to play, he sucks, or has not been coached well enough to get him ready.

Just look at the coaching staff. Wrinkle is the only QB guy and he only had one year of coaching experience. I think they need to beef up that part of the staff. Overkill basically agrees. Coaching a QB is not something just anyone can do.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Could have less. How many interceptions have the rookie QBs thrown this year? I know Dak Prescott and Carson Wentz have 0 between them. Paxton Lynch also threw 0 when he stepped in for Siemian. Don't know about Kessler and Brissett.
Brissett has 0 int in 2.5 games and Kessler 1 INT in 73 pass attempts

RamWoodie

Legend
I think it does. Is there a chance it is all on Goff? Yeah, but if he was talented enough to pick first overall, which I think he was, then how can he be so far away from starting? Maybe Fisher had no intention of playing Goff this year at all. Or maybe if he did he should have gotten him working with the ones sooner. Either way it sounds like he is not ready to play, he sucks, or has not been coached well enough to get him ready.
That's still not based on fact...but you do have a point. We can look at Mannion...Fisher never used him last year despite the issues at QB. He rolled with Keenum...probably because Mannion was a rookie. We can look at that based on Fisher's record...BUT...that doesn't mean he would never start a rookie. Keenum out played Goff...and given his experience (even though his arm isn't as strong), he should have.
Just look at the coaching staff. Wrinkle is the only QB guy and he only had one year of coaching experience. I think they need to beef up that part of the staff. Overkill basically agrees. Coaching a QB is not something just anyone can do.
This again is assumption. It doesn't mean Winkie isn't a good QB coach. Once again we have Keenum playing better this year under a new OC and a new QB coach.

I respect your thoughts but I think you're reaching here...for any reason to start Goff when there is none.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's still not based on fact...but you do have a point. We can look at Mannion...Fisher never used him last year despite the issues at QB. He rolled with Keenum...probably because Mannion was a rookie. We can look at that based on Fisher's record...BUT...that doesn't mean he would never start a rookie. Keenum out played Goff...and given his experience (even though his arm isn't as strong), he should have.

This again is assumption. It doesn't mean Winkie isn't a good QB coach. Once again we have Keenum playing better this year under a new OC and a new QB coach.

I respect your thoughts but I think you're reaching here...for any reason to start Goff when there is none.

I am not using the lack of experienced QB coaching as a reason to start Goff. It could be a big reason that he isn't ready though, and I think Fisher is fine with it.

I wonder if Case get t s hurt if Fisher allows Goff to go in and throw any passes. And if an injury to Keenum lasted more than a week does he start Mannion.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not using the lack of experienced QB coaching as a reason to start Goff. It could be a big reason that he isn't ready though, and I think Fisher is fine with it.

I wonder if Case get t s hurt if Fisher allows Goff to go in and throw any passes. And if an injury to Keenum lasted more than a week does he start Mannion.

man can you imagine the shitstorm if Mannion started in place of Goff due to an injury for Case ...that really would get the talking heads on Fishers back .

edited to add .... i mean right now he can point to case winning as for Goff not starting and not many can argue with that ...but case goes down ??? i think it has to be Goff

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The ugly:

Me! A friend had to remind me we're 3-1 and I'm acting like a "bitter, freak head"

May i ask why you were acting that way? I was over the moon when the game finished. I, like everyone, can see the limitations case brings to the offense but he played his arse off for the Rams and they got the win. When goff is ready they will put him in there. I am at peace with it now because that's the way it's gonna be no matter how we feel about the situation.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I find it odd we're spending so much time arguing readiness to start in regards to Goff vs other rookie QBs when all of the rookie QBs were forced into action. That's not to say that Dak Carson and Lynch (to a much smaller degree) haven't taken advantage of their opportunity because they have. But to sit here and act like the only reason Goff isn't starting and these guys are is because of readiness is off base.

Dak is starting because Romo died again. Wentz is starting because no team in their right mind turns down a first round pick for a player they only wanted for one more season (especially when you just gave up many draft pics) Lynch is starting because of injury. Kudos to those guys for playing well so far but again theres more to it than readiness. Who knows how Goff would be playing right now had he also been forced into action. (Spare me the preseason argument because it's been disproven time and time again as a direct relation to regular season success)

So for now....we should just be happy we have the LUXURY of allowing Goff to be 100% ready and still win football games in the time being.

Goff is going to be a very good football player...and really that's all that matters

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's another point people don't think about...let's say Mannion suits up as the back up and Keenum leaves a game for concussion protocol. Mannion comes in and lights it up. That would add to Goff's troubles...cuz he would really be 3rd.

How is that gonna happen now that Goff is the back up? No point in dealing with hypotheticals.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Anything is possible. But, let's not forget that fumbles can be TOs, too. And I might be mistaken, but that's something I believe that even you had expressed some concern in the past.