Wagoner's Rams mailbag: Closer to contention?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams mailbag: Closer to contention?
By Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/18505/rams-mailbag-closer-to-contention

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams roster is mostly set for 2015, though some tweaks could still happen between now and September. So, are they closer to competing for an NFC West division crown?

That's one of the many topics on your mind this week.

Tyler Clark @DevilsPunch
USA Today puts Rams at #11. I know you're objective but never give the Rams a good shot. Why? Look at qb play past 2yrs.

@nwagoner: I can appreciate where you're coming from, but never give them a good shot? I don't really know what that means. If things break right, I think they can contend for a playoff spot. But things haven't broken right and they still have some serious questions to answer. I'd like to see them on the field in OTAs and, more importantly, training camp before rushing to judgment, and I reserve the right to change my post-schedule-release prediction until then. In the meantime, you're right that they should be improved at quarterback with Nick Foles instead of Shaun Hill or Austin Davis. But I'm not entirely sold on Foles yet and there are still major, major questions on the offensive line. And for as good as we all believe the defense can be -- and it could be very good -- that group needs to be more consistent and cut down on the game-changing mistakes. Using the past to predict the future in the NFL is often a fool's errand, but until we see otherwise, it's pretty hard to project this team taking the next step. Consistency comes first. If and when it does, buying in will be easy.

Justin Koski @koski_justin
As roster stands now, how well do you see the Rams competing against NFC west?

@nwagoner: I actually think the Rams are in position to make a bit of a move in the division. That isn't necessarily a function of what I expect them to do as much as other teams taking a step back, but I do think it's possible they could move from fourth to second in the division. I think San Francisco looks poised for a tumble. It's never good when you replace a successful coach with an unknown coach who is basically just the opposite of the one you had. Rams fans circa Mike Martz followed by Scott Linehan can attest to as much. Arizona should still contend, but I wonder what becomes of the defense without Todd Bowles calling the shots and whether Carson Palmer can stay healthy. The Rams can compete with the Seahawks on the field twice a year but need to be more consistent in other games to have a shot at winning the division. I don't think they're ready for that just yet. It's been a strange three years in the division for the Rams under Jeff Fisher. They were very good against the West in 2012, awful in 2013 and slightly below average last year. I expect something closer to 3-3 or even 4-2 against the West this time around.

Kelton Brooks @BrooksWeekly
What are the chances Stedman Bailly bumps Tavon Austin for playing time? Bailey is the better receiver.

@nwagoner: It's an excellent question and has plenty of validity. Stedman Bailey has certainly showed that he is capable of running solid routes, creating separation and making difficult, contested catches. Austin has not though neither player has much of sample size. One could make the argument that Bailey is the better bet strictly as a receiver. The hard part comes in when you weigh those things against Austin's ability to hit the home run and offer versatility. It's probably best to find a middle ground and get both of them on the field. But it's an interesting question, for sure.

Matthew Jauregui @Firecap30
Ethan Westbrook is he a DE or DT, if he can get bigger I believe has more potential as a rusher. How's his hand injury?

@nwagoner: Technically, he's a DE but he's actually sort of both. To my knowledge, he's healthy and ready to go. And this could be a big year for him. One way to look at him is as a sort of long-term replacement for William Hayes, who is a free agent after the season (not to say he won't be back). But if Westbrooks can continue to improve, there could be a spot for him in the rotation. That versatility would only help his cause.

lemon ‏@lemonjii
If rams go for veteran free agent, what position/positional experience will be most beneficial (ex: vet center?)

@nwagoner: I still contend that a veteran guard like Justin Blalock almost makes too much sense and it would be silly for the Rams not to pursue him unless there were some health or financial factors preventing it. Not only because it would take some of the load off the rookie linemen but also because it would be very beneficial to the young tackles. Being able to plug a guy like Blalock at left guard would help Greg Robinson at left tackle and whoever plays center because of his experience. And it would allow Rodger Saffold to kick over to right guard where he played better than he did at left guard while also providing experience and help for likely starting right tackle Rob Havenstein.

…..

Legend
I think San Francisco looks poised for a tumble. It's never good when you replace a successful coach with an unknown coach who is basically just the opposite of the one you had. Rams fans circa Mike Martz followed by Scott Linehan can attest to as much.

I dont understand this comment. Martz was an offensive mind and didnt Linehan come from Minnesota after being the architecht of thier great offense?

jjab360

Legend
I think San Francisco looks poised for a tumble. It's never good when you replace a successful coach with an unknown coach who is basically just the opposite of the one you had. Rams fans circa Mike Martz followed by Scott Linehan can attest to as much.

I dont understand this comment. Martz was an offensive mind and didnt Linehan come from Minnesota after being the architecht of thier great offense?
I think he might mean regarding personality/coaching styles.

Alan

Legend
Dog thinking of his past:
He may of been a good OC in Minnesota but he sucked with the Rams. I always liked our O under Martz and that's where I see the comparison.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He may of been a good OC in Minnesota but he sucked with the Rams. I always liked our O under Martz and that's where I see the comparison.

Linehan was an awful Head Coach, but you could debate that he's been a more successful offensive coordinator than Martz. Martz was magic in St. Louis, but after leaving never adapted his style, whereas Linehan has moved on to coordinate a high profile offense in Detroit and now with the Dallas Cowboys.

Scott Linehan could not motivate a marine at a brothel, but he can coordinate an offense albeit still waiting for him to coordinate a team to a Super Bowl.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I like that the team has FINALLY decided on an identity and to simply things on offense. That alone should do wonders.

No more finesse OLinemen mixed in with road graders.
No more Sears & Roebuck catalog sized playbooks.

Less thinking should equal much better execution.

This is what we are running. Now stop it.

BTW, after re-watching a few games on NFL Rewind, that running play they call the wrap seemed to work like a charm the majority of the time they ran it.

Alan

Legend
den-the-coach with this:
Linehan was an awful Head Coach, but you could debate that he's been a more successful offensive coordinator than Martz. Martz was magic in St. Louis, but after leaving never adapted his style, whereas Linehan has moved on to coordinate a high profile offense in Detroit and now with the Dallas Cowboys.
That's one way to look at it but I'm coming from a different direction. I compare Martz/Rams to Linnyham/Rams. I don't pay any attention to what a HC or former OC/DC does anywhere else. I also think that most of his readers look at it that way because they're not fanatics like we are. I think that's where he's coming from.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I agree Blalock could be key to our OL taking off THIS year versus waiting for success in the future. It just seems to make sense. We should be all over him. I'll get a major confidence boost with that signing.:bueller:

iced

Scott Linehan could not motivate a marine at a brothel, but he can coordinate an offense albeit still waiting for him to coordinate a team to a Super Bowl.

except that in the '06 season He was not that good of a play caller, and they had kept a number of martz's plays in that year. His play calling wasn't that great either - it wasn't until it was turned over to Greg Olson when they started the flourish (last 8 or 6 games)

The next 2 years, they went to his offense...well you know the story

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
except that in the '06 season He was not that good of a play caller, and they had kept a number of martz's plays in that year. His play calling wasn't that great either - it wasn't until it was turned over to Greg Olson when they started the flourish (last 8 or 6 games)

The next 2 years, they went to his offense...well you know the story

Yes we do, but maybe he was just so overwhelmed. Olson was horrendous at the start of 2007 and that's why Linehan took back the play calling duties not that it improved at all, however, Greg Olson is a guy that seems to keep getting jobs and failing miserably.

Like I posted Linehan has gone on to do a terrific job in Detroit and now in Dallas and believe me nobody disliked Scott Linehan more than yours truly I felt he should have never had gotten the job...Passed on many others like Mike Zimmer and Ron Rivera, but he's made two teams much better and IMO regardless of weapons Mike Martz did not do that IMO in San Francisco, Detroit or Chicago.

iced

Yes we do, but maybe he was just so overwhelmed. Olson was horrendous at the start of 2007 and that's why Linehan took back the play calling duties not that it improved at all, however, Greg Olson is a guy that seems to keep getting jobs and failing miserably.

I tend to give olson a pass in 2007 - he clearly showed he was way better in '06 when people were staying on the field..bulger, jackson, pace, and pretty much not just the entire offensive line but even the backup's backups... signed on monday to play sunday..ridiculous

Like I posted Linehan has gone on to do a terrific job in Detroit and now in Dallas and believe me nobody disliked Scott Linehan more than yours truly I felt he should have never had gotten the job...Passed on many others like Mike Zimmer and Ron Rivera, but he's made two teams much better and IMO regardless of weapons Mike Martz did not do that IMO in San Francisco, Detroit or Chicago.

Linehan in St.Louis is akin to The Niners - except linehan proved he was way in over his head...

it takes a pretty big fuck up to piss off Reverend Ike and Big game Tori

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
From this Date forward I am no longer going to read ANYTHING Wagoner write, he needs to change the first letter of his first name to a D!!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I tend to give olson a pass in 2007 - he clearly showed he was way better in '06 when people were staying on the field..bulger, jackson, pace, and pretty much not just the entire offensive line but even the backup's backups... signed on monday to play sunday..ridiculous

Greg Olson's bio and somebody please show me any success? Another assistant coach that keeps getting gigs, however, failing miserably everywhere he's been:

Team(s) as a coach/administrator
1987-1989Washington State
(Graduate Assistant)
1990-1993Central Washington
(Off.Coord.)
1994-1996Idaho (QBs)
1997-2000Purdue(QBs)
2001San Francisco 49ers (QBs)
2002Purdue (TEs/Recruiting Coordinator)
2003Chicago Bears (Quarterbacks)
2004-2005Detroit Lions(Off.Coord./QBs)
2006-2007St. Louis Rams(Off.Coord.)
2008-2011Tampa Bay Buccaneers(Off.Coord./QBs)
2012Jacksonville Jaguars (Asst. HC/QBs)
2013-2014Oakland Raiders (Off.Coord.)
2015-presentJacksonville Jaguars (Off.Coord.)

iced

Greg Olson's bio and somebody please show me any success? Another assistant coach that keeps getting gigs, however, failing miserably everywhere he's been:

Team(s) as a coach/administrator
1987-1989Washington State
(Graduate Assistant)
1990-1993Central Washington
(Off.Coord.)
1994-1996Idaho (QBs)
1997-2000Purdue(QBs)
2001San Francisco 49ers (QBs)
2002Purdue (TEs/Recruiting Coordinator)
2003Chicago Bears (Quarterbacks)
2004-2005Detroit Lions(Off.Coord./QBs)
2006-2007St. Louis Rams(Off.Coord.)
2008-2011Tampa Bay Buccaneers(Off.Coord./QBs)
2012Jacksonville Jaguars (Asst. HC/QBs)
2013-2014Oakland Raiders (Off.Coord.)
2015-presentJacksonville Jaguars (Off.Coord.)

it's not that he was that awesome of a coach - he did still have a lot of the GSOT pieces in '06 with a very young steven jackson replacing faulk..

it's that linehan was more ineffective, for whatever reason - didn't know how to use personnel

WvuIN02

Starter
I dont understand why people are so overly sensitive about some of what he writes.

Do the Rams have major problems on the OL? Yes. Jake Long was never the answer we hoped he would be, and there are still huge holes along the line on top of all our hopes on a second year kid with huge upside.

Did the defense play well but inconsistent giving up game changing plays? Yes. They were in the middle of the pack defensively in the league, and still have some major questions at LB and in the secondary. There were way too many blown coverages and easy touchdowns last year.

As painful as it is to admit, he's right on both counts. The Rams are addressing the OL which is fantastic, but it's unlikely those guys are going to be making a big difference until year 2-3. Being 16th defensively and 21st offensively last year in points pretty much mirrors the teams record.

Hopefully with G.Rob with another year, a non terrible OC, and a new QB, the team can make that leap...it's the hope we all have....but I can understand why the critics like this guy wont put this team over the hump until they prove they can do it. The motto of this year needs to be "Prove Them Wrong"...its time for leaders to appear and make people accountable for the mental lapses and such.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

Martz came out with a new offensive approach and took the NFL by storm. He also had the perfect cupboard of weapons at his disposal, at the time. But once the NFL Defenses caught up to how to read and defend it .... his "genious" became "lunacy" because as you said ... never adjusted.