Wagoner’s Rams Chat Highlights: July 18

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner’s Chat Highlights

—Honestly, it seems like much ado about not much. First, Michael Robinson was pretty darn complimentary of the Rams as a whole. He seems to have a lot of respect for the Rams and thinks they have a lot of talent in place. As for the Bradford comments, it seemed more to me like he was simply getting at the point that the Rams will go as far as Bradford takes them. I think that’s something most of us agree on. The soft part of the comment seemed more to imply that he needs to step it up rather than a comment on him personally. That’s just how I read it, anyway. If not, it’s silly. People can have their complains about Bradford, there is plenty to pick apart there but toughness shouldn’t be one of those things.

—Tre Mason Playing Time? Hard to say right now but I think putting him in the eight to 10 carry per game range is probably about right. That means something like 140-160 carries. That’s assuming health of course. Obviously, Stacy had some nagging injury issues in 2013. If that happens again, Mason’s role expands.

—In my early projection (pre-training camp and subject to change), I have the Rams jumping over Arizona and into third place. Could they fare better? Yes. Could they fare worse? Yes. There’s a lot of projecting when it comes to this team because it is so young. Makes it hard to predict.

—Bradford Done If He Doesn’t Take the Next Step? That’s probably overstating it. It’s possible Bradford could play well and the team could improve but not make the playoffs. What if the Rams pulled an Arizona of 2013 and went 10-6 and came up short of the playoffs? Just throwing that out as a possible way that Bradford would stay in the long term plans without necessarily making the playoffs. But to get more to your point, if the Rams really struggle and Bradford struggles or worse, has more injury issues, then quarterback becomes a serious issue moving forward.

—My early read is that Givens and Austin will be the most involved right away. Britt would probably be right there, too.

—Janoris Jenkins? It’s been up and down. He’s got a knack for making some big plays but has matched that with a knack for allowing them also. There’s a lot of expectation that Gregg Williams will help the young corners reach their potential. Frankly, the Rams are betting on that. Jenkins is talented, there’s no doubt about it. He’s probably always going to be something of a risk taker but the key will be finding a way for him to better understand when taking said risks are OK and when to make the simple play.

—Vets on the Bubble? Good question. There’s a few that immediately jump to mind. DT Matt Conrath and S Matt Daniels are a couple that spring to mind right away. Some others I’d include are RB Isaiah Pead (who I do still have making it) and some guys who came on to the roster during the season such as QB Austin Davis and OT Mike Person.

—It’s kind of interesting, there don’t seem to be a lot of starting positions up for grabs this time around. Most of the “battles” look set to be for depth spots. I think most of us are curious about how Michael Sam will do and I’m intrigued to see how the battle for a potential ninth spot on the D-line goes. Keep an eye on undrafted DL Ethan Westbrooks there, too. I think it could come down to Sam vs. Westbrooks for that possible spot. Beyond that, there’s a lot to sort out in the back seven at linebacker, cornerback and safety. The offensive line depth after guys like Barrett Jones and Davin Joseph should also be worth watching.

—Is s Bradford Healthy? Yes. The Rams expect him to be ready to roll when camp begins.

Read All Chat Highlights

SierraRam

Recreational User
"It’s kind of interesting, there don’t seem to be a lot of starting positions up for grabs this time around. Most of the “battles” look set to be for depth spots."

Exactly!! We're set & the pieces are in place. Maybe a vet safety added - but that's it. If the OL stays healthy, were gonna party like its 1999!!

images
upload_2014-7-18_21-55-56.jpeg