Wagoner’s Rams Buzz: Rams Have Options at RB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

ESPN.com St. Louis Rams reporter Nick Wagoner talks about Zac Stacy and the other options at running back. :)54)

BD-TomCat

Rookie
Stacy did get Banged up alot last year. Rams may not be convinced that he can be a bell cow type of RB. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If someone does beat out stacy then good for the Rams cause we know what he can do. If he gets beat out the Rams are in a better position offensively

RamzFanz

Damnit
This running game could be mind blowing. I'm not worried about the RBs, I'm worried about the line. Stay healthy boys!

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Just think if Pead wakes the hell up and becomes the force we all expected, he will be the starter IMO. Remember he was our highest drafted RB thus far in the Snisher era! :heh:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Stacy did get Banged up alot last year. Rams may not be convinced that he can be a bell cow type of RB. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If someone does beat out stacy then good for the Rams cause we know what he can do. If he gets beat out the Rams are in a better position offensively

He was getting banged up at Vandy too...Plus the 3.9 ypc average, good to have options

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Drafting Mason as high as they did makes me think that the Ram brass felt we needed some real help at RB. I think there is a real belief in Zac's talent by the coaching staff,,, but I don't feel the same about Cunningham and Pead.

Enter Mr Mason !

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Drafting Mason as high as they did makes me think that the Ram brass felt we needed some real help at RB. I think there is a real belief in Zac's talent by the coaching staff,,, but I don't feel the same about Cunningham and Pead.

Enter Mr Mason !
But some players it takes that last possible chance to light a fire under their ass. I've never heard Pead sound so confident or determined to find a way into our backfield this year, this preseason is huge for the kid!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm having visions of the Rams using 3 backs, like the '72 Dolphins did when they had Czonka - Morris & Kiick. sounds like fun!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
But some players it takes that last possible chance to light a fire under their ass. I've never heard Pead sound so confident or determined to find a way into our backfield this year, this preseason is huge for the kid!

Obviously I wish greatness on all Ram players... but drafting Mason certainly sends a clear message.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Obviously I wish greatness on all Ram players... but drafting Mason certainly sends a clear message.
So let's just assume for a minute that Pead looks amazing, you think they would just ignore it and roll with Stacy and Mason anyways?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
So let's just assume for a minute that Pead looks amazing, you think they would just ignore it and roll with Stacy and Mason anyways?

I wouldn't say that. If Pead wins the competition at RB... I'd expect to see him taking snaps with the offense and not just playing special teams.

All I'm saying is that drafting Mason when they did gives me the impression that our decision makers felt we needed some serious help in the RB Dept. Both Cunningham and Pead should feel some serious heat on their asses as a result.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't say that. If Pead wins the competition at RB... I'd expect to see him taking snaps with the offense and not just playing special teams.

All I'm saying is that drafting Mason when they did gives me the impression that our decision makers felt we needed some serious help in the RB Dept. Both Cunningham and Pead should feel some serious heat on their asses as a result.

I expected them to take a running back - just later in the draft - to keep the pipeline flowing. RBs get hurt too often and have too short of a career not to keep choosing them. I think it will be a rare draft when Fisher and Snead don't take a RB. I don't think they expected Mason to fall to them in the third round though. When he did, they went ahead and snagged him as too good of a value to let fall further.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I expected them to take a running back - just later in the draft - to keep the pipeline flowing. RBs get hurt too often and have too short of a career not to keep choosing them. I think it will be a rare draft when Fisher and Snead don't take a RB. I don't think they expected Mason to fall to them in the third round though. When he did, they went ahead and snagged him as too good of a value to let fall further.

That could be the case. Maybe our Auburn GM put a super high grade on Mason.

My best guess says they were very impressed with Mason and not all that impressed with the current group of backs on the roster. The result of that was pulling the trigger fairly early in the draft on a RB. I like the pick, but I was a bit surprised with it at the same time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think they really like Pead's potential but we seriously have to see an ability to translate his abilities to the NFL. I would love to see him become what we drafted him for. I highly doubt they drafted a 2nd round RB as purely a 3rd down back. Normally RBs come on right away - which scares me about Pead's ability to turn it on. But I still have hope. There is no doubt in my mind that Tre was drafted because the coaches were as unsure about Stacy's ability to carry the load consistently AND the question marks surrounding the rest of the RBs that most of us see. The thing I think is encouraging is that there is a lot of talent here at the RB position so a committee approach may work quite well at least until we figure out who is our bell cow. I have to imagine that a true big time RB is going to want the majority of the carries so that he can build his net worth and I think that is the direction we will eventually go. I just don't think Fish is going to want to constantly be recycling the position.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

Enter Mr Mason !
That seemed just like a "great value at the pick" pick. Which is also what I thought about the Donald pick rather than either being about lack of confidence in those already there.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That seemed just like a "great value at the pick" pick. Which is also what I thought about the Donald pick rather than either being about lack of confidence in those already there.

Exactly. Occasionally Fisher and Snead will pick for need - but I think it's obvious they would much rather go with the best value, and fill in needs with later picks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's time to forget about Pead as a star RB..He's a good special teamer, and that's all right now. He does not have the decisive,violent instinct that Zac Stacy has when hitting the hole. Stacy was nicked last year, so I hope that Mason can do a good job running the ball (after he learns to pass block)